Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
it just happened to me. I was looking for the new "Mudvayne" single, so I searched for Mudvayne, then I scrolled down, previewed a couple tracks, then went to click to scroll back up and I accidently hit "Buy Song" for some random song. I tried to cancel but its too late, there goes one of my free pepsi songs, lol. so I went to "Check for Purchased Music" and sure enough, it began to download.. im like... damn, lol.

Oh well, could of been worse... like downloading a song from I band I didnt like :p

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Perhaps there should be some sort of confirmation before you buy a song? Like a pop-up that say's something like: "Click to confirm purchase" or "Are you sure you want to buy this song?".

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
tech4all said:
Perhaps there should be some sort of confirmation before you buy a song? Like a pop-up that say's something like: "Click to confirm purchase" or "Are you sure you want to buy this song?".

there is, although you can disable it if you want to, you can also create a shopping cart if you want to place songs in before you buy them

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
yeah I know. I recently started *really* using the iTMS for nearly all my music purchases/downloads, and I got annoyed of the 2 confirmation popups (one for password, other for 'are you sure'), that I disabled them... never thinking I would accidently purchase a song, lol.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
PlaceofDis said:
there is, although you can disable it if you want to, you can also create a shopping cart if you want to place songs in before you buy them

Oh ok, I haven't used ITMS, so I wasn't sure. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I keep those confirmations enabled, for just that reason. I think you get different confirmation message wording when you are getting a Pepsi tune vs. paying for the tune, but I'm not sure, since I've only "bought" Pepsi tunes recently.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I've accidentally purchased a couple of songs myself. Thought I'd clicked on the right song, so I confirmed the purchase -- only to realize to my horror that I'd bought some awful song by mistake. :eek:

The thing that frustrates me, though, is when I purchase a "live" track without knowing it's a concert track. You can't always tell from the 30-second sample that iTunes provides -- not that all concert tracks are bad. Only when you want the studio version.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Chaszmyr said:
Just be glad you didn't accidently purchase the complete works of U2 :p

Just out of curiosity, how many songs would that be? (I don't know much/anything about U2 other than Apple has an iPod of them)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
tech4all said:
Just out of curiosity, how many songs would that be? (I don't know much/anything about U2 other than Apple has an iPod of them)

well the whole collection is like $150 to buy all together, if you bought by singles would be even more

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
PlaceofDis said:
well the whole collection is like $150 to buy all together, if you bought by singles would be even more

Yikes! :eek: Definitely don't want to click that by accident. (the whole set that is)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The discussion made me curious about the confirmation messages you get, so I checked four cases, based on the account status and whether you are buying a song or an album:

1. Empty account, song download:
Are you sure you want to buy and download the Song "MacRumors Melody"?
Your credit card will be charged for this purchase and your music will begin to download immediately.
Cancel/Get
2. Empty account, album download:
Are you sure you want to buy and download the Album "MacRumors Greatest Hits"?
Your credit card will be charged for this purchase and your music will begin to download immediately.
Cancel/Buy
3. Free tunes + cash, song download:
Are you sure you want to buy and download the Song "MacRumors Melody"?
Your song balance will be debited for this purchase and your music will begin to download immediately.
Cancel/Buy
4. Free tunes + cash, album download:
Are you sure you want to buy and download the Album "MacRumors Greatest Hits"?
Your account balance will be debited for this purchase and your music will begin to download immediately.
Cancel/Buy
I have yet to test these cases:

5. Free tunes only, song download
6. Free tunes only, album download
7. Cash only, song download
8. Cash only, album download

Would somebody with free tunes only or cash only in their account like to post the messages for those cases? You can always click Cancel and not purchase anything.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I ran into case 4 again (see previous post), and discovered that you get a followup message.

4. Free tunes + cash, album download:
Warning: Your remaining song credits are insufficient to complete this purchase. Note that song credits can not be applied to the purchase of albums or audiobooks. Your account will be debited for some or all of this purchase.​

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I've downloaded songs before and weeks later listened to them wondering what I was thinking.

I've even deleted a few of them. I think when I first got iTunes I just got a little "Buy" button happy and bought songs without thinking.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
tech4all said:

As was previously mentioned, it is $150, which is probably what you were really wondering about. It's 446 tracks, though.

vieoray

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
As was previously mentioned, it is $150, which is probably what you were really wondering about. It's 446 tracks, though.

also includes a pdf file with album artwork and articles. i recently bought this, its totally worth it. 67 discs worth hehe :) yep, glad i never accidentally purchased that one.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Applespider said:
Just downloaded the free song of the week - scenario 5.

And got no message at all. The song just started downloading. My account is set to warn me before any song purchase but I guess there's no message for freebies.

If iTunes is set to NOT remember your password, you will be forced to log in for free songs, but yes, like you said, no warn-before-purchase requester.

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
I "accidentally" purchased a song TWICE. I downloaded it and then couldn't find it, so I thought I did something wrong and tried again. My credit card was charged twice and I sent an email to Apple and finaly got my money back.

On another note, I purchased an audiobook and had a problem. The book was so long that it was listed as two different downloads (both included in the price). I noticed on one of the files, that a couple "pages" were missing from the novel. Apple said they would let me download it again, but it was the same. I ended up keeping it, but was annoyed because I wanted to use it for my students to follow along with. I had to edit the files myself into separate "chapters". I wish audiobooks would be separated into chapters (although that would suck for books with a ton of chapters).

Jamvan

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Requested enhancement to combat stupidity!

CanadaRAM said:
How about purchasing an album on ITMS and then looking at the CD racks in the den to see the very same album there.... DOH :p

I've submitted an enhancement request based on this very premise. I'd love iTMS to analyze what's in your iTunes library and stop you from purchasing something that's already in your library (assuming that what's in your library is something that you already own in a physical medium) similar to what it does if you try to re-purchase a song that you've already purchased through the store. A very stupid request when looked at in it's own right but much needed when your library is very substantial!

I'd also like it to make recommendations based on what's already in your library.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
vieoray said:
also includes a pdf file with album artwork and articles. i recently bought this, its totally worth it. 67 discs worth hehe :) yep, glad i never accidentally purchased that one.

I bought my daughter the U2 iPod for Christmas (her 3G died an ugly one), so I got the box for only $99. Well worth it, although, on shuffle play, it seems like 3 out of 10 tracks are always U2. I guess I could create a playlist of my library sans U2, but I'm lazy and it's easy to hit the ol' forward button.

I've gotten 17 free Pepsi iTunes so far, and spent an additional $50 in store credit because I kept finding gems I had to have. Damn you, Apple! :p

OT, I haven't dl'd a tune I didn't intend to (yet), but I've kept the settings to confirm before purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.