Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sprint-150x61.jpg

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S broke the "device family" one-day sales record today, according to the company. The milestone was breached by 1pm Eastern.

Sprint didn't break out sales totals for the iPhone, but Sprint's product chief said today was the company's "best ever day of sales in retail, web and telesales for a device family in Sprint history." Sprint attributes the strong sales to their "truly unlimited" data plan.

Sprint is the only U.S. carrier to offer unlimited data to new customers. Earlier today Moody's downgraded Sprint's credit rating "citing impacts on the wireless carrier's liquidity and leverage from its decision to invest in its own fourth-generation network assets and the expected phase-out of its failed partnership with Clearwire Corp." according to the WSJ.

This is first time that Sprint has carried the iPhone line. The iPhone was originally an AT&T exclusive in the U.S. and only expanded to Verizon in early 2011. Sprint is now one of three mobile carriers to offer the iPhone in the U.S.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Launch Breaks Sprint's One Day Sales Record

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
I hope this is a good sign for Sprint. I'm on AT&T right now, but would really like to have a choice when my contract is up.

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not surprising. I got one today

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Well, they sold more than 6 then! Congrats! Welcome to the big leagues.

sk8ordie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
California
If I wasn't already grandfathered into ATT unlimited (and corporate discount through employer) I would have switched to Sprint.

Finally glad iphones are reaching competitors. More competion = consumer win.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
What exactly does "device family mean? Do they mean they needed the combined sales of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to break their previous record? That doesn't sound quite as impressive then.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
huh?, what does that even mean... breaks the sales record for a "divice family" what other divice families have there been :rolleyes:

so combined sales of IP4 and IP4S was higher over what? the PRE family? iPhone 4S on its own broke nothing? as always Sprint PR is worthless

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
This shouldn't be front page news... Could anyone possibly be surprised about this?

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Hopefully the iPhone will help the little guy (Sprint) out. Competition is good, and we (the consumers) need a stronger Sprint to improve competition. Looks like they're on the right track abandoning Clearwire and going with LTE.

There are worse things a company could do than hitch a ride with Apple.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
What exactly does "device family mean? Do they mean they needed the combined sales of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to break their previous record? That doesn't sound quite as impressive then.

Unless that is the only metric they ever release. It actually does not make it any more or less impressive. For example they still sold galaxies when they launched the S2, it was bigger than that. When he s3 comes out, that day, the whole galaxy family will sell less than the iPhone 4/iPhone 4s. It is not really hard to understand.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Device family could mean a few things.

'iPhones' in general, meaning the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S on Sprint.

or

Only iPhone 4S, in white/black in 16/32/64gb capacities. (The 'family' being that there are different colors and capacities of the same phone.)

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
If I wasn't already grandfathered into ATT unlimited (and corporate discount through employer) I would have switched to Sprint.

Finally glad iphones are reaching competitors. More competion = consumer win.

+++ Not leaving ATT for the exact same 2 reasons!

justski

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
wish i was on my sprint iphone 4s right now but the sprint store called me about an hour ago and said that apple delayed the shipment to their store so i won't be getting it until tomorrow or monday.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005

or

Only iPhone 4S, in white/black in 16/32/64gb capacities. (The 'family' being that there are different colors and capacities of the same phone.)

I would imagine anyone wanting to buy the iPhone 4 would have done it anyday but today...People coming in today knew what they wanted, and it was most likely an iPhone 4S.

ALR26

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Hopefully the iPhone will help the little guy (Sprint) out. Competition is good, and we (the consumers) need a stronger Sprint to improve competition. Looks like they're on the right track abandoning Clearwire and going with LTE.

Could the iPhone be the reason Sprint doesn't want Clearwire anymore? Can the iPhone even connect to Clearwire's network? After all, Sprint invested 20 billion dollars to get the iPhone, which could have been Clearwire investment money.

And this whole "device family" refers more or less to platforms used. The iPhone has outsold other devices like BB, Droid, Win, Palm... just my opinion. Sprint does need to learn how to use the right industry terms.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005

I wish Apple had got one for TMobile too...I can see them getting really hurt by not carrying the iPhone.

nvbrit

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Reno, NV

or

device family probably refers to what type of devices they are, ie. smartphones, tablets etc. so they are probably saying "broke the "device family" one-day sales record" meaning the one day sales record for smartphones as that what family these phones belong to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.