Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulger

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
My iPhone 4s microphone was working...

but it has now stopped working, were you successful returning the phone and getting a new one?

I also figured out that someone can hear me talk when the Speakerphone is turned on, but when it is off, people can't hear a thing. Also, Siri won't work/hear me.

Last edited:

iphonebubba

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
mic is not working either - not siri or phone calls

I bought tow phone one works great the other the mic is out - when you activate siri is shows it is getting noise but it never does anything - and when you call the person can not hear - I have restored and reinstalled till I am blue - guess i will be headed down to the apple stand in line store

Bulger

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Huh?

I have this same problem, but people can hear me when I call them. So it appears the microphone work, why the issues with Siri?

How is it the same problem, my microphone doesn't work...so people can't here me on calls and Siri doesn't work if it can't hear me.

dustywaffles

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
exactly

but it has now stopped working, were you successful returning the phone and getting a new one?

I also figured out that someone can hear me talk when the Speakerphone is turned on, but when it is off, people can't hear a thing. Also, Siri won't work/hear me.

Same here. Speaker phone works, but talking on it normally people can't here me.

At&t said once I walked out the door with the phone it's apples problem. I called the applestore and they cant fix it or exchange it because they are all out here in reno so now I'm stuck with a partially functioning phone. :mad:

BigDinTexas

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Same here. Speaker phone works, but talking on it normally people can't here me.

At&t said once I walked out the door with the phone it's apples problem. I called the applestore and they cant fix it or exchange it because they are all out here in reno so now I'm stuck with a partially functioning phone. :mad:

Soooooo.... are they saying you no longer have the 30 days to return and cancel the upgrade? If they were to refuse to help me after a couple days, I would be demanding a reversal of the upgrade and threatening to cancel my entire family share plan with 5 lines.... My thinking is that after all the money you just dropped on the phone, I would expect it to be working properly.

Good luck,
Don

dustywaffles

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Soooooo.... are they saying you no longer have the 30 days to return and cancel the upgrade? If they were to refuse to help me after a couple days, I would be demanding a reversal of the upgrade and threatening to cancel my entire family share plan with 5 lines.... My thinking is that after all the money you just dropped on the phone, I would expect it to be working properly.

Good luck,
Don

I could have pressed him and got my money back but then I would have no phone. My old one is gone. I'm a teacher and I gave it to another teacher who's wife got laid off and needs a phone to substitute. ( we use this over the phone system in reno) I'm not going to take it back from them cause at&t.

I'm sure apple will replace it when they get new ones in. at&t are turds however. And that manager..... oh man when he just sat there and shrugged with a limp greasy smile.

raptor58

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
My 4s doesn't work too - on some calls

So far it happened 4 times today. Can't tell if it is only on outgoing calls (I have only a few incoming calls). I can heard them but they can't heard me.

Out of the 4 times, twice when I called them back immediately the ring tone sounded weird.

Very disappointed :mad:

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Same problem. 4S 64GB model.

Just starting happening today (received phone last Friday). For 5 out of 6 outgoing calls the recipient hasn't been able to hear me. Slightly improved if I use speaker phone.

Going to an Apple Store tomorrow morning to sort it out.

buildmedia

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Microphone Problems

We are having the same problem with new 4S. Microphone works randomly for phonecalls. Speakerphone didn't work as a workaround.

Masmith295

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Same Here!!

It was working fine the first day. Yesterday I noticed it started acting strange like Siri couldn't understand me. And then today it just stopped working. Only speakerphone works. I purchased mine at a Radio Shack and so far I found one out of state they are shipping to my local store but it could take until next week. The Apple store employee told me they had some parts and replacements available but they were on a first come first serve and I live about 1.5 hours away. They refused to hold anything for me. :mad: Apple should offer something for the trouble when something like this happens. An app store credit or something at least.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just go to an apple store and exchange the phone. They'll give you brand new one out of a black box.

I had to exchange mine this weekend because the earpiece wasn't working working. They could hear me but I couldn't hear them.

zyther

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
anyone get a replacement? Im going into apple on sunday, I hope the issue happens in store, doesnt seem to do it all the time.

shi6

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
I'm having the same issue. :( About 1/2 of my outgoing calls, I can hear the other party perfectly, but they cannot hear me. Sometimes I hear my own voice bouncing back. I've called tech support twice, only to be disconnected. :mad:

I just upgraded from the 3GS, so I'm disappointed, and I hope I can get this working consistently.

eflosd

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
same problem. sometimes the person on the other end cant hear me. its only done it 3-4 times since friday. Made a genius appt last night and they offered to replace it but Im going to keep testing it as it has been working lately and I just put a screen protector on it

one028

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
My mic cuts out randomly also. Wtf...never had this issue on my iPhone 4. People can't hear me half the time and have to call back.

ethro100mg

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
iphone 4s microphone and headset problems!

I'm having the same problem with my iphone 4s 16gb white.....

I went to apple and the phone felt like working when they did "Diagnostics";) I explained the mic doesn't work sometimes and they didn't believe me... The headset makes a screeching noise and they still couldnt find a problem. They basically told me to go to att and return the phone and get a new one...

Later that day I went to AT&T and they told me they didn't have iphones.
They also told me I'd have to pay a restocking fee.. even though it's a faulty phone !

The iphone 4s is only days old ....

high voltage

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
not just 4s

i have an iPhone 4 from summer of '10. I have just began to notice the same problem you are describing. When ever i make or get a call the other person can't seem to hear me. When i restarted my iPhone it worked for about 3 min then it suddenly stopped working mid call. I have restored it to factory setting but no luck there. I have heard this is a known problem and i have heard different suggestions on how to fix it e.g. q-tips in the headphone jack and so on. Could this be a iOS 5 bug? No problem whatsoever before the upgrade.

ethro100mg

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
4s bug

No idea if it's a iOS5 issue... A lot of my friends new iphones seem to be fine.

They can't all be winners I guess. I'll just have to wait for AT&T to get more iPhones in stock so I can return my phone and get a new one...

Kind of a hassle...

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Why is everyone complaining on here like they don't know what to do? If your phone isn't working, return/exchange it with Apple. This isn't rocket science!

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
I bought tow phone one works great the other the mic is out - when you activate siri is shows it is getting noise but it never does anything - and when you call the person can not hear - I have restored and reinstalled till I am blue - guess i will be headed down to the apple stand in line store

To get Siri working again, go to settings, general, rest, reset network settings. Bc of all the ppl using apples new voice services the first few days if yours stopped working it won't start working again until u do this. I saw this on another site a few days ago and was going to return my phone for this exact reason. It's worked perfect since. Love Siri

shi6

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Why is everyone complaining on here like they don't know what to do? If your phone isn't working, return/exchange it with Apple. This isn't rocket science!

It's frustrating to buy a brand new phone and not have it working properly, only to be told you have to wait several days or more than a week to receive a new one. It's even more frustrating to have to back the phone up, go to the store, exchange it...especially if you no longer have the old one to use in the meantime.

This is a forum to air our feelings, yes? :p;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.