Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Can you use an iPhone 4 just like an iPod Touch without the SIM card? Giving it to my son since I got the iPhone 4S today but he's a year or two away from needing a phone.

Is this possible?

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Yes.

Basically, just take your SIM out and give it to him.

Wanted to reset device and restore from his last iPod Touch backup in iTunes. Although, worst case, restore from the last iTunes backup with SIM in, take out SIM and try to mimic his last iPod Touch backup. Just time consuming. Any ideas?

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Wanted to reset device and restore from his last iPod Touch backup in iTunes. Although, worst case, restore from the last iTunes backup with SIM in, take out SIM and try to mimic his last iPod Touch backup. Just time consuming. Any ideas?

I would say since it's your son, you wouldn't really need to worry about restoring. But you'll need to if you're putting his backup on.

Is it even possible to use a backup from an iPod Touch through iTunes?

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I would say since it's your son, you wouldn't really need to worry about restoring. But you'll need to if you're putting his backup on.

Is it even possible to use a backup from an iPod Touch through iTunes?

I restored the iPhone 4 to factory settings and it won't let you activate without a SIM. If I take out the SIM card while in phone mode, won't it say something like INSERT SIM all of the time on the screen?

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I restored the iPhone 4 to factory settings and it won't let you activate without a SIM. If I take out the SIM card while in phone mode, won't it say something like INSERT SIM all of the time on the screen?

Try using the SIM card that's not in your 4S. And take it out once you have a "normal" lock screen.

But I'm still not sure if you can use an iPod Touch backup on an iPhone.

daaneel

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
You don't necessarily have you use a SIM that has an active line..

I've activated an iPhone 4 with a dead SIM once

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
You don't necessarily have you use a SIM that has an active line..

I've activated an iPhone 4 with a dead SIM once

True, I still have the old SIM from the iPhone 4 and it should be inactive since I activated a new SIM (preinstalled) on the iPhone 4S. Plus, if anything, I should be able to "disable 3G" on the iPhone 4.

Did we solve this guys and gals?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.