Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathP

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I brought a iPhone 4S yesterday and I notice that I don't hear any sound such as alert sounds, keyboard clicks or lock sounds even though they are all turned on in the sound settings. The only sound that does work is the ring tone. Youtube has no sound either.

If I make a call and then put it on speaker then bizarrely all sounds work but only during the phone call, when I end the call all the sounds stop working. If I press the volume up and down buttons on the side "Ringer" comes up but with no bar below it to say what volume it is at currently.

If I plug headphones in I can hear all the sounds perfectly fine through the headphones.

I've tried restoring the phone and setting it up as a new iPhone but that hasn't worked :(

Genius Bar appointment I think!

teeshot

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Make sure you have taken off ALL of the protecting plastic shipping protection from the phone. The speaker is still covered I bet.

Meowow

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I am having the same problem. I have an reservation made for apple tomorrow so I'll let you know what they say!

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
There is a separate volume for media and ringer. If you double-click while on the lock screen, you can adjust the media volume. Make sure it's turned up.

Meowow

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I was wondering if you had found any fix to your problem. My sound goes away and comes back randomly even while I am watching videos. I wasn't able to recreate it at the apple store and they told me to come back if the problem persists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.