Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Today I asked Siri to read me my messages and Siri proceeded to read all three texts that I hadn't read, saying who wrote each one. It was perfect.

Almeuit

macrumors regular
May 25, 2011
I thought it said new notification from messages from Sandy Chen..

Its the last part of the video...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Click on the "Watch the iPhone 4 S video"

Scroll to 1:27 ... at 1:30 sec he says "Read me my text"

Your watching the Siri one and she has hers setup to auto read because she is *blind*

[Edit] -- For my stupidity and not catching something very obvious.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I was going to ask someone about this too. I would like for Siri to read me my text messages without me saying, "Read me my text messages." I remember that blind lady in the remember and how it automatically read her the text message. I'm not finding the setting to set it up like that though.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bump for anyone wondering.

rhj

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
responding to text messages with voice while in car

I just changed from a Windows Phone to an iPhone 5 and I have a related question. My Windows phone would detect when I was in the car (Bluetooth) and automatically read text messages to me and give me the option to reply (speech to text). The feature would work something like this:

Al would send me a text, my phone would receive it, mute the audio in my car, and announce

Phone: "You received a text message from Al. Would you like to read it or cancel?"
Me: "Read it"
Phone: "where are you?"
Phone: "would you like to reply or cancel"
Me: "Reply"
Phone: "speak your message"
Me: "I'm almost there, see you in five minutes"
Phone: "I am almost there, see you in five minutes"
Phone: "would you like to send or cancel"
Me: "send"

... Al would then get my response via SMS.

It was my favorite feature! It would not read messages to me at other times...only when it detected I was in the car and connected to the car's bluetooth system.

How do I get my iPhone/Siri to do the same thing?

Here's a video that shows the feature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZITRb8eYhmI

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

graf0812

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
Can I have Siri read me incoming text messages?

I am curious now as we have moved alot from IOS 7. Will this feature be avail in IOS8?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
OMG! I tried this on a 5S and I couldn't get out of it. Everytime I tapped on any possible way to turn it off, it would read what I was tapping to. It took a while to finally turn it off. I couldn't even scroll up to turn this thing off. Ugh!

PuffyC

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
I'm coming from wp7 as well and sorely miss this feature...

This is another feature I really miss from my Windows phone as well and I can't find any way to duplicate the functionality on an iPhone. I assumed this would just work so I'm sad to see it missing.

Testing12

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
Southern California
I just changed from a Windows Phone to an iPhone 5 and I have a related question. My Windows phone would detect when I was in the car (Bluetooth) and automatically read text messages to me and give me the option to reply (speech to text). The feature would work something like this:

Al would send me a text, my phone would receive it, mute the audio in my car, and announce

Phone: "You received a text message from Al. Would you like to read it or cancel?"
Me: "Read it"
Phone: "where are you?"
Phone: "would you like to reply or cancel"
Me: "Reply"
Phone: "speak your message"
Me: "I'm almost there, see you in five minutes"
Phone: "I am almost there, see you in five minutes"
Phone: "would you like to send or cancel"
Me: "send"

... Al would then get my response via SMS.

It was my favorite feature! It would not read messages to me at other times...only when it detected I was in the car and connected to the car's bluetooth system.

How do I get my iPhone/Siri to do the same thing?

Here's a video that shows the feature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZITRb8eYhmI

This would be very cool, not to mention useful. I wish there was a way to get Siri to do this!

I had a look at the video and notice that the system was not without its flaws. I realize this was recorded nearly three years ago, so maybe the technology has improved, but the guy in the video seemed to be having problems getting the Windows phone to understand him as he attempted to record responses to the incoming texts. He finally gave up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.