Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
The Kindle fire of course. It has a dual core 1 Ghz processor versus the ipod touch's 800 Mhz processor. The ipod is a portable music/media player. The fire is a full fledged tablet, just without any of the bells and whistles. All the things it can do, watch movies, listen to music, surf the web, and even a little kindle reading, it can do very well. Its less portable than the ipod, but still easy to take on the go. And I know its not advertised as a gaming machine, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, with its specs, and the fact that it does have a 7 in screen.

edit: forgot that the ipod can be used for calling using google voice, so it definitely has that over the fire. But I always carry a phone with me anyway.

Last edited:

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
With the amount of money that Apple makes off of it, the Touch is not EOL. It is however at a stage where it is no longer updated every year. You will see an updated Touch next year when the iPhone 5 comes out.

That's an old meme. The sales numbers are that iPods make up 8% of total sales and the Touch is probably around 70% of the 8%. so if the Touch is only responsible for about 5% of Apple's sales then you are just wrong to say it is a cash cow that they need to continue. The pattern has been to update the Touch processor when the iPhone processor is updated which already is in a two year cycle.
Apple likes to keep everybody on the same processor to save money on production costs. This year we've had the iPad2 and iPhone4s on the new processor and even the AppleTV is expected to get the A5. The Touch not getting it is a striking anomaly that you can't just wish away.
What it says to me is that Apple is not spending any engineering resources on it. I think that means they are more interested in bringing a new device for that niche to combat the kindle and other smaller tablets. I expect it next year but have no idea when.
CES in January would be my preference but Apple does things in their own time.

Last edited:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
ipod touch is more portable. but it depends how you want to use it. I would want a ipod touch more because of the kindle fire is new and it could be kinda buggy.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
ipod touch is more portable. but it depends how you want to use it. I would want a ipod touch more because of the kindle fire is new and it could be kinda buggy.

I'm sure that the Fire will be fine when it goes on sale. If I had an iPhone, I would consider a Fire but I need my Touch for portability.

JazzCollector

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
I've been uploading my music collection to the Amazon cloud. With Amazon Prime I'm given unlimited music storage of MP3s. For me that's 220 gig worth of tunes. It's been uploading for two weeks, finishes sometime tomorrow.

All of it is available to me from the Fire. That's the functionality I needed, access to all my music.....except tunes purchased in the iTunes store. They're not compatable on the Amazon player.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
They're only comparable by price, but if I had 199 dollars to spend, I'd be considering do I want a pocketable PDA or a small couch tablet? Once I answered that question, I'd know if I was going to buy the iPod touch or Kindle fire as I'd argue they are the best devices in their field(and I'd arguing the iPad and the Kindle fire are in a different category...I used my iPad to consume and create, the Kindle fire seems far more focused on consuming.)

----------

I've been uploading my music collection to the Amazon cloud. With Amazon Prime I'm given unlimited music storage of MP3s. For me that's 220 gig worth of tunes. It's been uploading for two weeks, finishes sometime tomorrow.

All of it is available to me from the Fire. That's the functionality I needed, access to all my music.....except tunes purchased in the iTunes store. They're not compatable on the Amazon player.

Music purchased from iTunes can' be put into the Amazon player? That's a terrible move....or do you mean DRM "protected" files?

And I agree, having all your music when ever you have Wi-Fi is an awesome feature, but iCloud and Spotify both allow that on iOS device.

I'm not saying you should switch, but many services are moving towards the always on access for the cloud.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Which one would you buy and why? They are exactly same price on both 8GB models.

Strange question. Depending on what you want to do with it, one of them will be completely useless to you. Which one depends on what you want to do.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
They are not overpriced but they use outdated tech. There are many new games coming which make use of dual-core A5 CPU, GTA III, Infinity Blade (has better graphics on iPad 2), Real Racing 2, etc.

Even if the hardware is outdated, the iPod Touch 4th Generation still has good enough power to run the latest apps. It would last until next year when the A5 Chip will be introduce and perhaps more enhancements.

As for whether or not the iPod Touch is overpriced, that's your opinion. Personally, I think it's a fair price for what you get. It's about the use of the device that dictates what device you want.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Even the iPad isn't that great for long term reading, because of the backlight. A lot of the kindles have no backlight, or at least have the option to turn it off so it doesn't feel like a screen, if you know what I mean, because, like a digital watch, it is not generating any light. This makes is have an insanely high battery life of weeks of even months, and it feels like a real book, cuz it doesn't make your eyes sore ;)

Yes. This is why I own both an ipad and a kindle - and if I *had* to choose one of them to give up, it would probably be the ipad. I love to read.

----------

Apple likes to keep everybody on the same processor to save money on production costs. This year we've had the iPad2 and iPhone4s on the new processor and even the AppleTV is expected to get the A5. The Touch not getting it is a striking anomaly that you can't just wish away.

Yes, it is curious.

What it says to me is that Apple is not spending any engineering resources on it. I think that means they are more interested in bringing a new device for that niche to combat the kindle and other smaller tablets. I expect it next year but have no idea when.
CES in January would be my preference but Apple does things in their own time.

I think 7" version of the "ipad 3" would fit this quite nicely

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am looking at this thread and it seems there is some misunderstanding of what the Kindle Fire does. You cannot compare it to a Touch or and iPad. It is a device with a custom Android OS optimized for Amazon. The 3G connectivity it has is very limited and mainly for accessing Amazon for purchases, what internet access it has is very limited. The Touch and especially the iPad is a much, much, more capable device. I personally have an iPod Touch 4G 64gig and the retinal display is it's best selling feature, now with iOS-5 it has even got better. I have a friend who has the Touch 4G, iPad, and a iPhone 4G. I asked him which he likes better. He told me he likes all three, but because of the portability of the Touch and the iPhone these devices these are what he carries with him when his is on the road doing his job with GE. If he knows he is going to a location with good broadband connectivity he will bring the iPad mainly to access his Slingbox. He would love to use the iPad in his work with the control systems of large electrical power plants but there is no armored case for it that will isolate it from the sometimes nasty environment he works in. If you get an Kindle Flame you will be disappointed with it if you expect to do any where near what an iPod Touch and an iPad will do. :D

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Units sold or the profit they make?
revenue
this: https://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/1...ue-tops-100-billion-in-sales-for-fiscal-2011/
"the company also sold 6.62 million iPods during the quarter, representing 27 percent unit decline over the year-ago quarter"
"iPod Touch accounts for half of iPods sold"
These are the latest numbers not some old figures from 2005. For 2011 iPod revenue has shrunk and is now only 7% of total revenue.

My estimate of 70% Touches of iPod unit sales was optimistic since actual is 50%. Revenue was closer to 5% of total since the Touches sell for more than the other iPods,

Those who say Apple needs the Touch are just whistling in the dark.

Last edited:

skywalkerluke

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
Ipod Touch works with any apps you already own, works with iTunes, fits in your pocket, way more apps. If you want a very portable music player with great apps, that works with itunes get the iPod touch.

The Fire is NOT a "full working tablet". It an made to consume AMAZON content mainly. That is why they are selling it at a loss, they hope to make money off of people using their service(s). Yes there are android apps, BUT you do NOT have access to the full android market (Unless you jailbreak it). You have to buy apps through amazon app store. There is very limited amount of apps you can buy. Example: At this point there is NO Netflix app. I think the Fire is very cool, but I don't think it plays well with iTunes. It also does not fit into your pocket very well. If you want an e-reader that plays some games, few apps, and internet browsing then go for it.

That is my thought. Again it matters what you are going to be using it for.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I feel like the Fire is focused more as a media consumption device, and not as much as a social one (not as much as the iPod is). The lack of any camera on the fire is a turnoff to me. No videochat, no taking and sharing your pictures. I do that stuff a lot, so the Fire is a no go for me. But I do like the 7" size. If the Fire2 has cameras, then I'll be interested.

That's why I like to have a mini iPad, but it seems a lot of people hate this idea... because Steve said so...

----------

I guess anyone can innovate a shrinkable tablet will quickly wipe out any iWhatever and KindleWhatever :p

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
iPod Touch $199 or Kindle Fire $199? If I only had money for one I'd have to take a hard look at my needs. Either will satisfy most of them, and for video and photos and books the bigger screen is always better. If portability is primary then the Touch is far more portable. Carry a purse or backpack or briefcase and you've got room for the Fire though. If all you have is pockets then get a Touch.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Which one would you buy and why? They are exactly same price on both 8GB models.

everyone who says it depends on your needs is absolutely right.

people who keep talking about what a good tablet the fire is... either has not actually used one or read a single review (most say its mediocre).

for me, do I want to pay to dollars for a top of the line portable device that performs well on video, email, web browsing, with camera, microphone or do I want the cheapest tablet out there that has no camera, mediocre software (no music/video management tools), that is too big to put in a pocket but not really big enough to read well?

My guess is you can figure out which way I went for a gift for my niece after looking hard at both. Quality counts.

read this.. http://www.marco.org/2011/11/17/kindle-fire-review

selling points for the touch...
reliable software (reviews of fire says it crashes)
smooth operation (reviews of fire says its jerky and hard to control, that was my experience too)
camera, microphone for skype (none for fire)
portable (fits in pocket, I don't carry a purse)
screen has similar pixel count , though much smaller = higher resolution
lots of great aps (fire has a subset of aps and reviews on them is not coming in well)

all in all from playing with a fire, the touch is just that much more usable.

however, if you got to have that 7 inch screen..... then no contest.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
If I were buying this year, I'd get the nook color. It has twice the RAM and hard drive size, mic, better screen, micro-SD card support than fire at $249. Nook is more open and hackable. I'd rather wait until next year as hopefully cams are included.

natalier1210

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
New York
Very Similar

The Kindle is an eReader and the iPod Touch is pretty much an iPhone without the phone ... Aren't they two completely different devices?

Not really. Think about it..... touch screen devices. Internet. Apps. Camera. Voice Recording. E-reader. Capable of viewing media. Calendar, other tools. Much more. They are very similar, except for the screen size and a few other things, like Facetime.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I hated the Kindle Fire HD, I had mine for a grand total of 35 days before I returned it, thankfully they allowed me too. I just have too many apps. I couldn't stand not being able to use the the same high standard of apps to choose from. Amazon allows you to only get 'amazon apps' and you can't download 99% of them from Google Play store.

If you are only into media consumption movie watching, book reading, internet browsing then you won't have a problem with the Kindle Fire. If you want something more, then you might look elsewhere. It was laggy switching between apps, apps were mostly cell phone apps resized and lacked the quality of the app choices I am accustomed too through the itunes store. Of course this is 'my' personal opinion I sooo wanted to love the kindle but just couldn't take the change, its almost there but not quiet just yet, with Android fragmentation I don't see their apps getting any better though. :( Over 4k different android resolutions and devices.. :(

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Not really. Think about it..... touch screen devices. Internet. Apps. Camera. Voice Recording. E-reader. Capable of viewing media. Calendar, other tools. Much more. They are very similar, except for the screen size and a few other things, like Facetime.

Does anyone seriously read E-Books on their iPod Touch though?

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
Does anyone seriously read E-Books on their iPod Touch though?

I do.
I have a 10 inch android tablet and found it so uncomfortable to read books, tried my brother's ipad and same thing, so i ended up reading books on my ipod touch, and i think its a very good experience, i usually read at school, so easy to carry around,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.