Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

hansende said:
Siri has the same thinking ability as a rock. All of "her" spoken language is preprogrammed. Her attitude is preprogrammed. Humans are at least 1000 years from developing anything close to actual thinking. The human brain has evolved over millions of years.

You are missing the whole point. Siris breakthrough is processing and understanding normal human speech patterns and not just specific commands

Addicted 2 Siri

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
iPhone 5 Release Date

IMG_0032.png

Siri is holding out on us!

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

djgamble said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Then try going to Australia and asking "where is the nearest restaurant?"

Only to be told:

"Sorry I can only find places in the USA when you are speaking with a North American accent."

It has some not so funny responses that are just plain annoying and expose flaws with Siri.

Speak wit an Auzzie accen then

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Oh, boy. I swear everyone: most Star Trek fans aren't as humorless as this one.

Look, we--Star Trek fans, that is--all know that transporters typically lock on to the communicator, not the tricorder.

*But*...

It's a JOKE, man... and Tricorders are funnier than communicators. Yeah, they just are. Get over it. It doesn't matter if it doesn't really make sense, it's still funnier with tricorder than communicator.

Also, Siri saying "your communicator is in airplane mode" would make absolutely no sense since you're obviously using your "communicator" to communicate

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Then try going to Australia and asking "where is the nearest restaurant?"

Only to be told:

"Sorry I can only find places in the USA when you are speaking with a North American accent."

It has some not so funny responses that are just plain annoying and expose flaws with Siri.

Local searches for other countries are coming. U.S.A. only for local searches for now. This is Beta ;)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
It just emptied my bank account!!!!! DUDE... :p

No it doesn't understand that. I don't know how to access the cache. Not sure if it even saves one.

Siri understood it as "cache" and not "cash" as I thought it wouldn't.

----------

You guys have too much time on your hands (and too much money in your pockets it seems)

Siri is quite the novelty but does it do anything useful? Like:

* Read my email while I drive or...
* Launch Applications

No but it writes out text messages while you are driving so you don't have to type.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
Siri's been having trouble connecting to the network all day today and yesterday.... is this just me or is it happening to everyone?

I had that yesterday, but today it works great. Trying to figure out how to get SIRI to "punctuate" sentences correctly now....

I've moved on to dictating emails ;-)

PS: If you send a text message through SIRI while driving, a while later you can then say: "SIRI do I have any notifications?", and then you can listen to SIRI read you the responses to your texts / emails and reply back right then and there!

all of this works without taking your eyes of the road ;-)

best,
SvK

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
PS: If you send a text message through SIRI while driving, a while later you can then say: "SIRI do I have any notifications?", and then you can listen to SIRI read you the responses to your texts / emails and reply back right then and there!

all of this works without taking your eyes of the road ;-)

Uh... this contradicts what everyone else is saying. Are you positive Siri will read back emails?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
But Apple SIRI team has access to everything. What people are asking and in what way. So, this personality will also develop as time goes by, since they can tweak it. They can also evolve it as the world around us changes and new cultural norms develop.

One thing they do not have is the feedback mechanism. What are people's reactions to SIRI's output at each instance? Even a small sample of feedback is just enough.

Like SIRI says something funny, the feedback is 'Siri, that is pretty cool'. Or 'that is disgusting'. Or 'you do not know anything. you are dumb'..whatever... That will be a treasure. But currently there is no conversational way to provide that feedback to SIRI. That is a bit unfortunate. In real world, that feedback is what helps people evolve a personality.

I'd suggest some crowdsourcing effort. Have an app that shows often asked questions that let's you give answers. Any answer that is accepted gets a small price, let's say a free song from iTunes. I guess within a week they would have ten thousand good answers for "Tell me a joke" and maybe hundred for "beam me up".

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
BTW ...

If you dictate Text Messages through SIRI, and say the word "period" at the end of a sentence, Then SIRI puts in punctuation.

best,
SvK

----------

BTW ...

If you dictate Text Messages through SIRI, and say the word "period" at the end of a sentence, Then SIRI puts in punctuation.

best,
SvK

commas as well exclamation points, question marks etc as well.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
We all know Siri works on iP4 and 3gS, I sure hope someone figures out how to hack it on these devices soon. Its very $hi++y of Apple to make this a 4S "only" feature...

I'm very pissed about it, if thats not clear from above. My phone is 5 months old...

needa

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
i am kind of disappointed in siri. she tells you you dont have an address for your contact and then will not put the address in. for me, the reminders is going to be the most useful thing about her and she goes about it in a half ass way. apple should have known that people dont put addresses in for contacts. they should have set her up to put the addresses in for you. either through web search or voice.

ballsop

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
i heard steve jobs was the heart and soul but

you don't think they're telling us something do you?

Attachments

• IMG_0762.PNG
    IMG_0762.PNG
    707.1 KB · Views: 113

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Not to quibble (or tribble for that matter), but the correct device would be the Transporter.

Thats the correct device to do the transporting, but not to tell the ship to beam you up.

The communicator is basically a cell phone. Or so anyone who believes Star Trek inspired modern technology will tell you. That's the crux of the joke.

Last edited:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
There are huge numbers of Apple buyers that crave showing off. Siri is a great as an attention getter. Kids love it, grandkids love it, and seniors can't believe their ears. How impressive. Once again Apple creates a Wow factor that appeals to gadget fans.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes before the newness wears off. What may be even more revealing is if Apple can continually keep it fresh & funny for it's core customers. If they can, the demand for other features will fade to black. Simply fascinating... Maybe.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
There are huge numbers of Apple buyers that crave showing off. Siri is a great as an attention getter. Kids love it, grandkids love it, and seniors can't believe their ears. How impressive. Once again Apple creates a Wow factor that appeals to gadget fans.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes before the newness wears off. What may be even more revealing is if Apple can continually keep it fresh & funny for it's core customers. If they can, the demand for other features will fade to black. Simply fascinating... Maybe.

Do you own apple products?

----------

Do you own apple products?

It just occured to me that SIRI is a gateway for the blind to have access to SMART phones.

best,
SvK

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit

I would like the option of a sexy male voice.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV

Siri has a sister.

Siri's sister is snarky and rude. She is Emily Blunt's character in "The Devil Wears Prada"

Siri has a brother.

Siri's brother is a cynic and a smartass. I'm thinking this is Will Arnett's character in "Arrested Development"

These "personalities" are going to multiple like tribbles, and we are going to be happy that apps will arrive and we will be able to opt in to get them, even ad supported. It will make Google cry.

Personally, I'm waiting for a John Ratzenberger personality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.