Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Is this a phishing email or legit? I got this 5 minutes after getting my phone.
The reason I ask is because they didnt give me a receipt during the process and had to ask for another one, and instead of looking for it, they just printed me a new one. I work for an internet company and know that we never ask for anyone to go to a website to plug in their UN and PW. So that is why I see red flags when viewing this email.

Also if it is fraud, how did I get to so fast after getting my phone. Was it because I switched all my info to a new phone or are scams just this good now.

You've entered xxxxxxx as the contact email address for your Apple ID. To complete the process, we just need to verify that this email address belongs to you. Simply click the link below and sign in using your Apple ID and password.

it brings me to https://id.apple.com

Verify Now >
Wondering why you got this email?
It's sent when someone adds or changes a contact email address for an Apple ID account. If you didn't do this, don't worry. Your email address cannot be used as a contact address for an Apple ID without your verification.
For more information, see our frequently asked questions.
Thanks,
Apple Customer Support

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
That is the text of the authentic email address verification letter you get when you create an Apple ID. (for iTunes, iCloud, Game Center, etc.)

ID.Apple.Com is the domain name of Apple's main Apple ID web site.

I think that mail is legitimate -- but you're correct to be suspicious of things like this. There is a lot of fishing right now, especially around iPhone 4's and fake email from Apple, AT&T, Verizon, etc claiming you need to verify your information.

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
It's legit. Not a scam at all.

You get this email when creating a new AppleID or adding an email address to your AppleID. Such as adding an email address as your iMessage or FaceTime caller ID.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
OK thanks everyone. You would think Apple would just have you log into your itunes to verify your info, instead of an email link. Its always better to be safe than sorry. Since I never had facetime or imessage this must be why I got this email.

Fila

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
In German

Sorry. It's in Dutch
I've just been emailed from applied@id.apple,com. The text is in Dutch. As a UK citizen, I find this odd.
This is the text

Om het wachtwoord van je Apple ID opnieuw in te stellen, klik je op de onderstaande link. Vervolgens kom je op een webpagina waar je een nieuw wachtwoord kunt instellen.
Deze link is slechts 3 uur geldig, gerekend vanaf het verzendtijdstip van deze e-mail.
Wachtwoord Apple ID opnieuw instellen >

Vragen? Je vindt het antwoord wellicht op onze Apple ID-ondersteuningspagina >
Als je niet zelf hebt geprobeerd om je wachtwoord opnieuw in te stellen, hoef je je geen zorgen te maken: je account is nog steeds volkomen veilig en niemand heeft er toegang toe gehad. Hoogstwaarschijnlijk heeft iemand een
verkeerd e-mailadres getypt tijdens het opnieuw instellen van zijn of haar eigen wachtwoord.
Met vriendelijke groet,
Apple klantenservice

Translates as

To your Apple ID password reset, click on the link below. Then you come to a webpage where you can set a new password.
This link is valid only for 3 hours, counted from the time of sending this email.
Apple ID password reset>

Questions? You may find the answer on our Apple ID support page>
If you yourself have not tried to reset your password, you need not worry: your account is still safe and nobody has had access. Most likely, someone typed a wrong email address during the reset of his or her own password.
Sincerely,
Apple customer service

iPayAttn

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
Misspellings...

My employer received an email like the one davelanger received. Bottom line, it informs you that changes were made to your AppleID and informs you that if you weren’t the one that made the changes you should follow the links. My employer is an iTune subscriber and iPod Shuffle owner. Therefore, they thought it could be legit but still looked a little different from the norm and luckily didn’t follow any links until they could ask me about it. They asked me to investigate. It was very hard at first to tell the difference. But here’s how it goes: I did a search via Google. However, it didn’t show me much. But it did give me a website that I was, at first, reluctant to follow. When I did, the page just kept acting as if it were loading but never left the blank white page. I killed it and went back to my original Google search. Which led me to the forum. While reading the forum I was also on the Apple website. I could see small differences such as flip-flopped words when compared to the email and things in the forum (*giggle* even a few things that forum posters flip-flopped by accident). Ultimately, the first clue was that my employer informed me that they hadn’t accessed the iTunes site in some time. The second clue, were the misspellings between the email and the Apple website. My conclusion, such as it is, is that the email is a fraud. Side-note: On the same day we also received a fraudulent email posing as Myspace. :apple:

Hoodo

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
No matter if this is legit or not you should never enter your apple id into a link provided by an unsolicited email. If it is Apple they will need to fix it.
A verification link when followed should say. "Thank you very much", period. You obviously own the email address being verified, because you received the email. The person who sent the request may have sent it to the wrong address, and the user there clicked the link, but you then should get a verification email saying what you did. If you mindlessly say, "OK" then you lose that avenue to recover your password. The person who gets the later verification that you want to reset your password should not have sufficient information to change it.

gbear234

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
IMO, something scam-like is occurring FROM apple.

Why? It's a legit Apple email sent to the correct email with wrong email address (Apple ID) in the message body. I haven't updated or used an apple ID in 10 years. Yet I started getting spam from Apple, email after email.. I know what to look for. I've tested all the links in the email and confirmed the page locations thru multiple verifications.. they're all actually on Apple's real ID site. Meaning this is spam, Sent by Apple.

Example below. They almost have my email correct, but it's missing a '.' I didn't do this.
--------------------------------

Dear ***** *****,

You have selected slightly_incorrect@gmail.com as your new Apple ID. To verify this email address belongs to you, click the link below and then sign in using your Apple ID and password.

Verify now >

Why you received this email.

Apple requires verification whenever an email address is selected as an Apple ID. Your email cannot be used until you verify it.

If you didn't make these changes or you believe an unauthorized person has accessed your account, you should change your password as soon as possible from your Apple ID account page at https://appleid.apple.com.

Apple Support

Last edited:

flipfloplife

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2018
It's a scam. The true apple email address does not have the second id.apple in it.
Very very close but a scam.
Do not click it.
This post is old and we just received this email on our family account.
I checked with everyone no one requested to change password.
the

Is this a phishing email or legit? I got this 5 minutes after getting my phone.
The reason I ask is because they didnt give me a receipt during the process and had to ask for another one, and instead of looking for it, they just printed me a new one. I work for an internet company and know that we never ask for anyone to go to a website to plug in their UN and PW. So that is why I see red flags when viewing this email.

Also if it is fraud, how did I get to so fast after getting my phone. Was it because I switched all my info to a new phone or are scams just this good now.

You've entered xxxxxxx as the contact email address for your Apple ID. To complete the process, we just need to verify that this email address belongs to you. Simply click the link below and sign in using your Apple ID and password.

it brings me to https://id.apple.com

Verify Now >
Wondering why you got this email?
It's sent when someone adds or changes a contact email address for an Apple ID account. If you didn't do this, don't worry. Your email address cannot be used as a contact address for an Apple ID without your verification.
For more information, see our frequently asked questions.
Thanks,
Apple Customer Support

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just manually go to id.apple.com then login and see if the email needs to be verified. If it does, there is link you can click that will send you another email that you can trust because you initiated the verification. If it says it's verified then you're good to go and you can delete the other email.

Reactions: iapplelove
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.