Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophia1300

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I also had the same problem when needing to restore my iPhone from backup. I'd set the password on my iPhone backup many years ago and restored my phone from backup a few times over that period. However this time I found my password no longer worked, nor any combination I could possibly think of.

I ended up downloading the free trial version of Elcomsoft iPhone Password Breaker, created a custom dictionary list with all possible passwords and combinations and words I could think of and set it to maximum mutations. Within 30 seconds it came back and said it had found my password, however I would have to buy the full version for the password to be revealed to me. However, it did show me the first 2 characters and the length of the password and I was able to guess from there.

The password ended up being my name in lower case, which is also the name of my iPhone in iTunes, i.e. "Kobe's iPhone". There is no way on earth I ever would have set my name as my password, so my best guess it that iTunes changed my password during one upgrade or another. I don't have a PIN set on my phone like the other people above do, so this could be another variation of iTunes setting your password for you. Needless to say, I've now changed my password back to something more secure.

Hopefully this info will help other people in a similar situation.

Thank you man!!!!!!! You saved my life!!! I ran the Elcomsoft Phone Password Breaker yesterday after reading your post but it didn't work. I added a few more possible passwords and it worked, took 192second tho, which was longer than your 30sec. I'm soooooooo grateful that you came up with this solution!!!! Really appreciate it!!!!!!

vodaholic

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
I downloaded Elcomsoft iPhone Password Breaker and did dictionary with max mutations. It says it is going to run for over 2 days! I guess it just figured your password out after 30 seconds. Mine ran for a long time before I had to cancel it b/c of being on the phone with Apple Support. We have had to reinstall iTunes so far. Still getting the password requirement box. I tried my name in lower case. No luck. Tried 0000, 1234, bunches of other passwords including my Apple account password. I'm out of options. Waiting for level 3 support to come on the line. Have been on hold or with level 2 support for 1 hr 58 min!!!. If this doesn't do it then I'll have to just let the Elcomsoft run and I'll be phoneless for awhile! The only other option is to start from scratch! OMGosh! All my stuff! :(

Tried all the above myself and even with a custom password list the elcomsoft couldn't find any results.

After a few days of scouring forums I had to do it a convoluted way in the end.

I installed iFunbox and copied the keychain-2.db file to my PC after making a backup of it in the same directory on the iPhone (var/keychains)

I then deleted the file from my iPhone and reconnected it to iTunes. This meant all passwords had been deleted (albeit temporarily from my iPhone). I then selected the encrypted backup option again and started a backup then cancelled it which created a new keychain-2.db file in var/keychains. I then removed the encrypt option. This asked me for a password but it was set to the new password I'd just entered so the tick was then removed.

I then exported and opened the new keychain-2.db file in exported in sqllite browser (do a search and download it, it's free). I then opened my original file in sqllite browser. The reason I did it this way is because for some reason my keychain files displayed a load of gobble-di-gook in sqllite browser so I couldn't determine what was the itunes password. Maybe because I'm running iTunes 10.5 but people have previously stated that the files are shown in plain English but mine weren't.

I then compared the genp tables in sqllite browser until I found the record that had the same set of symbols in the acct column that as in the new keychain-2.db file I'd created as this would be the iTunes password I'd just created. No other records existed in the new keychain file.

I then deleted that record in sqllite browser, saved and imported back into var/keychains using iFunbox.

The encrypted option is no longer ticked and I can make unencrypted backups. I will definitely not be ticking that box again!!!

I know it sounds really long and laborious but if you follow it step by step it isn't as long as you think. Also, if you're lucky enough to have your keychains file display as plain English in sqllite browser then you can just delete the record that says it is your itunes backup password.

Hope it makes sense. It really does work!

preciousjoyce

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
i lost my iphone back up passsword

ok so i have the iphone3g and i updated to the iphone 4s andafter i was done itunes ask me for the backup password but i dobr know it i lost everything i need help please i try the spotlight and i cant fing where i put keychains acess i really need help please i have a pc
if you know how email me preciousjoyce@live.com please and thank you

Len077

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Backup Password

Hi everyone, thanks for all the help...

I have discovered my backup password after many hrs of hard work

I originally set a 9 digit password that is secure and I use at a high level.

I think earlier versions of iTunes truncated it to 8 digits, but when I keyed the 9 digits in it also truncated that. the new Version 5 does not truncate, if I type 9 digits it does not equal the 8 digits password it has stored

Hope this helps!!

RichieB

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
@vodaholic: thank you so much! I did not forget my backup password (I only set it a few weeks ago), but iTunes refused to accept it. Your method reset the password very simply. A feature that should be inside of iTunes.

pgalligan

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Can't for the life of me work out what this password is. I ended up restoring from iCloud, which only needs your iCloud user id/password. It restored all my settings and is currently restoring all the apps I had. Not sure what will happen with my music but since I'm using iTunes Match I don't expect there'll be an issue. I can always download it again from iCloud anyway.

rdenisg

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
need help. cant enter password.
When you upgrade firmware phone hung. Restores had as a new device. Have a backup, but there is no password on it. Contact is only there - help restore this backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.