Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munchyhammer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Well, I've written a note (in notes) and placed it in the iCloud account to test the service. The question is, how do I access the service?

NorfolkMustard

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
UK
sorry, yeah, on your Mac too. If you have Lion 10.7.2 and have setup iCloud with the same account. They'll appear in Mail on your Mac

Munchyhammer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Which e-mail address? The apple ID linked to iCloud? Or the @me.com one it asked me to set up (How would I recover THAT password, btw?).

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Which e-mail address? The apple ID linked to iCloud? Or the @me.com one it asked me to set up (How would I recover THAT password, btw?).

the @me.com password is the same as your Apple ID password, and the notes are found by setting up Mail to your @me.com account.

NorfolkMustard

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
UK

When you enabled Notes syncing in iCloud on you iPhone, that @me.com address it made you create is just a secondary address on your original AppleID. i.e. there's no separate password.

You can see the link here https://appleid.apple.com/

If you enable "Mail and Notes" syncing on your Mac, I think it will setup the Mail account on the Mac for you (haven't tried)

MelSnyder

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Apple double-talk/no-talk on a simple question

I've been on hold for more than an hour with AppleCare, getting bounced from one tech rep to another, trying to get a simple answer to what I thought was a simple question:

I synched my iPad and iPhone to my iCloud account. I had to pay for an extra 10 GB to do that.

Now I want to view those files, and delete those that I really don't need. How do I see my Docs-to-Go, Nikon RAW and jpeg files and other files I paid to store?

The automatons on the AppleCare line keep reciting some litany about only being able to see files created with iWorks or Contact or Notes etc. If we can't see music and photos and other files created with other software or devices, why does it upload and store them?

Silly me thought that iCloud was Apple's answer to DropBox. They tell me i can't see non-Apple files there, Is that correct?

CaptainFred

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I've been on hold for more than an hour with AppleCare, getting bounced from one tech rep to another, trying to get a simple answer to what I thought was a simple question:

I synched my iPad and iPhone to my iCloud account. I had to pay for an extra 10 GB to do that.

Now I want to view those files, and delete those that I really don't need. How do I see my Docs-to-Go, Nikon RAW and jpeg files and other files I paid to store?

The automatons on the AppleCare line keep reciting some litany about only being able to see files created with iWorks or Contact or Notes etc. If we can't see music and photos and other files created with other software or devices, why does it upload and store them?

Silly me thought that iCloud was Apple's answer to DropBox. They tell me i can't see non-Apple files there, Is that correct?

As far as I know, iCloud just keeps everything in sync - it doesn't store your files so you can access them everywhere you go (the only aspect of iCloud that does work a bit like Dropbox is iWork, which you have to access via the web interface on your Mac, or via Pages/Numbers/Keynote on your iOS device).

It stores your media (with the exception of music) as a backup of your iOS device, the same way a backup was created and stored on your Mac when you connected the device to iTunes.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK

For backup and restore.

iCloud Documents are iWork and MS office files only at the moment.

macvos

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Documents on Mac and iCloud

There is a trick involved. First you need an iOS5 app that stores a document in iCloud, then go to your Mac with Lion on it and also setup to use iCloud.
Now open ~/library and in there you'll find a folder named 'Mobile Documents'. If all has been setup well, your iOS5 app's iCloud folder should be visible there. Simply drag a document into that app's folder and it is auto-synced into iCloud. You are then able to see the document in that iOS5 app.

Now, for the iOS5 app: I use GoodReader.
See the attached image for extra info.

Attachments

• MobileDocuments.png
    MobileDocuments.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 726

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
There is a trick involved. First you need an iOS5 app that stores a document in iCloud, then go to your Mac with Lion on it and also setup to use iCloud.
Now open ~/library and in there you'll find a folder named 'Mobile Documents'. If all has been setup well, your iOS5 app's iCloud folder should be visible there. Simply drag a document into that app's folder and it is auto-synced into iCloud. You are then able to see the document in that iOS5 app.

Now, for the iOS5 app: I use GoodReader.
See the attached image for extra info.

Yes this works. it is fine for PDF's for GoodReader. You can't however pop standard iWork files in here from the Mac as they need to be in iOS format, (though you are able to copy your iWork from here to else-where on your Mac and convert them to Mac)

I note also a number of my iOS apps that a set to save preferences and settings are being backed up here too.

One thing I've realized from this is I suspect my TimeMachine backup is backing up all my cloud documents too, which is reassuring!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.