Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Location has a new bit if you scroll down called "System Services", with a toggle to enable the GPS icon when certain things are in use.

I enabled it and strangely found GPS was being used for traffic when traffic was disabled in maps, and time-zone setting when I have manual time enabled...

Tempted to disable some of the system services to save battery

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you power-off iphone and restart it, all your previously running apps will stll be runnin

BBQXXX

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Colorado
I like how you can pull down the key board now in text app instead of needing to exit and go back in to hide it.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Long titles and artists' names now SCROLL in the music player! :-0

Select a word, and "Define" comes up along with cut and paste... brings up a dictionary, just like my favorite feature of Lion: the double-tap with three fingers.

Reader for Safari! Wonderful!

ejs06003

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
When in camera you can swipe from left to right to go directly to photos. Much easier than pressing the small button. Tough to get used to though.

----------

In Messages the keyboard pulls down when going to check what a message said.
SOOOOO Nice!

arkon

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Take a picture, swipe right to see it.

No need for small icon on bottom left

Thats a nice one, thanks for this!

barbmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
When playing games (to me this happens mostly in games), trying to pull down the notification center, will only show the handle of the notification, so then if you are sure you want to pull it down then you have to pull down the handle...
So in another word the pulling down the notification center will require to actions..

This is neat a feature specially for games so you don't accidentally pull down the notification screen in the middle of a game play...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
iCal addresses now clickable

You would think Apple would have thought of this in iOS 1 but alas, it's taken them 5 major OS releases to finally put this in. It's so obvious you might think it was there all along:

When you make an appointment in iCal and add an address as a location, you can now click on it to take you to the map app. Previously, you'd have to Edit the appointment, highlight the address, copy it, go to the maps app, paste it then search.

Finally resolved.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
The dictation feature is my favorite new feature. It works really, really well. You can say various punctuation symbols to insert those (e.g., comma, period, colon), but I had a tough time figuring out how to insert a line break. I did some searching and I think I came across a manual for Dragon Dictation which uses Nuance and I believe that Nuance is what's used by the iOS dictation. Sure enough, the commands they use worked for iOS. So to insert a line break, you say "New Line" and to insert two line breaks, you say "New Paragraph".

is this ios 5 or 4s only?

how do you access it? what will it type?

PatrickOMFG

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
how do you see the emoji keyboard? does it have to be turned on? i dont see the icon on the keyboard to hit to switch to it.

To enable the Emoji keyboard go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard

Choose Emoji, then whenever you're typing, you'll see a globe beside the space bar allowing you to access emoji.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN

You just tap the eye(s) again to cancel

ZepFloyd

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
To enable the Emoji keyboard go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard

Choose Emoji, then whenever you're typing, you'll see a globe beside the space bar allowing you to access emoji.

Settings - General - Keyboard - International Keyboards, then add a new one. Emoji should be listed.

excellent, thanks. i did have the app, but once i updated to OS 5 everything was wiped from phone. thats cool they included it in the OS.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN

boltjames said:
You can create a lengthy line of text in any message by using a 3 letter code.

Type "NYC" and the phone types "I'm in the city, if you're up for going out tonight text me back" or anything else you configure.

BJ

How did you get the "NYC" text example you used to work?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

How did you get the "NYC" text example you used to work?
Settings -> General -> Keyboard. Make sure that "." Shortcut is set to ON. Scroll down to bottom of screen and tap Add New Shortcut. Test the example shown to see how to set it up and how easily it works. When you want to use the shortcut, type whatever abbreviated form that you decided to use and the long text should be inserted as requested. :)

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I was messing around in settings, general, about. I touched where it said "Carrier" and it switched to PRL, then ERI (on Verizon).

No other words on that page did anything like the Carrier setting.

Not sure what ERL is, but my PRL was lower than I found online. I called *228 on VZW, hit option 2 when I heard the recording and my PRL was updated.

Latest PRL Verizon is 52522.

Not sure what happens on AT&T or Sprint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.