Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
London, UK
So having read in Apple support files that they recommend that most users use the same Apple ID for both iTunes and iCloud, I've chosen my gmail address, which I was using for iTunes purchases etc. as the login for iCloud. However, I've entered my me.com address as the Apple ID (as well as email) for both iMessage and FaceTime on my iPhone.

Seeing as the two are linked and are the same Apple ID (me.com being an alternate email), are there any potential problems with this and secondly, can people only iMessage or FaceTime me if they know my me.com address. Will they also be able to FaceTime using my gmail address (which is the primary one for the Apple ID)?

Last edited:

pulp88

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
This also confuses me a bit, because in facetime e.g. Its called an appleID as you said but you cant login with than in itunes as an appleID so what is it :confused:

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
London, UK
Glad I'm not the only one slightly confused by this :eek:

Pulp88 at the moment you can't use your me.com address as the primary email for Apple ID. In my case it is the alternate email address for my Apple ID with my old Gmail the primary. However, I can log into all things apple related using both, as they are the same Apple ID (although iTunes still shows my Gmail address even if I log in with the me.com address). What confuses me is whether people can FaceTime me etc. using both addresses, even though I've used the me.com one as my Apple ID for those features (with my Gmail used for iCloud and iTunes).

Last edited:

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
Go to Settings > Facetime and you will see "You can be reached for video calls at:"

This should list your phone number (iPhone) and your email address (probably the gmail one).

And then an option for "Add another email..."

Choose that and enter your @me.com account and it'll send a verification email.

Same for iMessage: Settings > Messages > "Receive at" > Add Another Email

So you can be called by facetime and use iMessage through multiple email accounts yes.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Go to Settings > Facetime and you will see "You can be reached for video calls at:"

This should list your phone number (iPhone) and your email address (probably the gmail one).

And then an option for "Add another email..."

Choose that and enter your @me.com account and it'll send a verification email.

Same for iMessage: Settings > Messages > "Receive at" > Add Another Email

So you can be called by facetime and use iMessage through multiple email accounts yes.

DING DING DING!!!! You win a new car!!!

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
London, UK
Thanks for the replies...I noticed the option to add another email in the settings but just wanted to clarify if I needed to, as both emails are the same Apple ID and I can log in to everything including iTunes using either. Anyway, I've just added my Gmail to iMessage and FaceTime :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.