Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I'm unable to send any email on my iphone 4s. i already had this problem on the iphone 4 but it seems to persist despite getting a new phone. i know that my username and password is correct...

anyone else got this error before?

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
yes :( in fact, the mail app is able to fetch my mail, but i am unable to send any..

AluminumMonster

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Is this via iCloud? Saw the same error yesterday... had to enter a different address from the SMTP server rather than the default iCloud smtp that it gave me. smtp.me.com rather than smtp-7.mobile.me.com (or something similar) worked in my case.

citrate

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Just because you can receive means nothing because you can specify a different server, username and password for outgoing mail.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Same problem here: receive/no send

All settings same as with iPhone 4.

Last edited:

cinek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
if it's icloud - I had this issue throughout the beta testing period - it'll go away after a while - not ideal, but nothing you can do about it - try submitting a bug report to apple.

FredV

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
I've been having the same problem with my yahoo business emails.
now my phone wont even connect to my emails. this is frustrating..

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Found a fix for mine...

When going from 4 to 4S, you have to enter 2 passwords:

Incoming Mail Server is one the first mail account page, the one where you can toggle the account On or Off.

Scroll down to Outgoing Mail Server .... see the arrow to the right?

Clicking it brings you to a SMPT page, where you can activate one or more outgoing servers by clicking on, for instance:

smtp.att.yahoo.com
or
smtp.gmail.com

and entering your password again for that account.

Account will be verified & voila! :D

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Found a fix for mine...

When going from 4 to 4S, you have to enter 2 passwords:

Incoming Mail Server is one the first mail account page, the one where you can toggle the account On or Off.

Scroll down to Outgoing Mail Server .... see the arrow to the right?

Clicking it brings you to a SMPT page, where you can activate one or more outgoing servers by clicking on, for instance:

smtp.att.yahoo.com
or
smtp.gmail.com

and entering your password again for that account.

Account will be verified & voila! :D

It isn't working for me.. :(

i input host name as smtp.att.yahoo.com
user name and pass as my email id and pass
set SSL to on,
authentication to password
and server port to 587

still doesn't work..

FredV

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
My solution was to keep deleting it, and adding it again, it worked after a couple times. and that's what yahoo suggests to do. keep trying

CUDACOR

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
try this

Ok I think I may have a solution..this is what I tried and it worked.

go to :settings
then Mail,Contacts,Calenders
then to the email account thats unable to send
then at the bottom ADVANCED
then near the bottom there should be a S/MIME turn it on

this is what I did and it worked !

----------

By the way I was having problems with my hotmail account. I never had a problem with my Gmail

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
I was getting this message with my osu.edu email account (who goes through outlook)...this was happening about 3 times a week and would come and go

Here's how I fixed it:

When in your mail settings, for the outgoing server, even though it says username/password is optional, type your username and password in.

I haven't had an issue since (about 3 weeks)

snoipme

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
hi,

i was able to solve this with iphone 4, iOS 5.1.1 by re-entering my hotmail account password on the following screen:

"Settings" -->
"Mail, Contacts, Calendars" -->
<select affected mail account, e.g. myname@hotmail.com> -->
select SMTP server (scroll down to "Outgoing Mail Server" section; the SMTP server for hotmail is 'smtp.live.com') -->
select SMTP server again (under "Primary Server" section at top; this should be marked as 'On') -->
on this screen, delete whatever is entered under "Password" and re-enter your login password for the account; when you click "Done" at the top of the keyboard, it will show a series of checkmarks next to each field to let you know the outgoing smtp server configuration is correct. -->
done!

send a test message from your account to another account to verify that all is well.

cheers!

Bettina

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
try this

Ok I think I may have a solution..this is what I tried and it worked.

go to :settings
then Mail,Contacts,Calenders
then to the email account thats unable to send
then at the bottom ADVANCED
then near the bottom there should be a S/MIME turn it on

this is what I did and it worked !

----------

By the way I was having problems with my hotmail account. I never had a problem with my Gmail

Thank you This worked but I wonder why the problem started in the first place and affected my iPad but not computer? Bettina

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.