Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

dictation.jpg

Many of the voice commands for Dragon Dictation also work in Siri's Dictation service on the iPhone 4S. The new speech-to-text service allows users to press a microphone on the keyboard in any application and then utilize Siri's speech recognition to enter text.

Jim Rhoades of Crush Apps has made an extensive list of commands that Siri's dictation service understands:
"new line" - move to the next line
"all caps" - make the next word all uppercase
"all caps on/off" - turn caps lock on or off
"smiley" or "smiley face" or "smile face" - :)
"frowny" or "frowny face" or "frown face" - :-(
See Rhoades' post on the Crush Apps blog for the full list of Siri dictation commands.

Article Link: Extensive List of Siri's Dictation Commands for iPhone 4S

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Still expirementing with Siri... Loving it so far. Better than dragon dictation for messages, hands down.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I'm sure Siri has got a dark sense of humour - On my own I can chat away for ages with it understanding everything I say with such accuracy it's incredible. However, as soon as I try to demo it to anyone like my wife or an Android owner, you can bet that all I'll get from it is "I'm sorry Neil, I don't understand 'spleen longboat curry'"

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
I'm sure Siri has got a dark sense of humour - On my own I can chat away for ages with it understanding everything I say with such accuracy it's incredible. However, as soon as I try to demo it to anyone like my wife or an Android owner, you can bet that all I'll get from it is "I'm sorry Neil, I don't understand 'spleen longboat curry'"

I found that too, but then I realised that when demoing Siri, I would change the tone of my voice. When I am using it privately I use a more natural voice.

It is weird trying to force myself to talk to it naturally when other people are around!

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I guess I can see why so many people are excited about this. Personally, though, I don't see myself using the speech-to-text feature very often (if at all) because it drives me crazy that it fails to include punctuation. I'm way too OCD about periods and commas.

essrow

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
I guess I can see why so many people are excited about this. Personally, though, I don't see myself using the speech-to-text feature very often (if at all) because it drives me crazy that it fails to include punctuation. I'm way too OCD about periods and commas.

I'm the same exact way. But you can use the words "comma", "period", "question mark" etc. and it will listen!!!!

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I'm the same exact way. But you can use the words "comma", "period", "question mark" etc. and it will listen!!!!

You get used to it (provided you know the basics of punctuation). When I read a badly written sentence, I can always hear the commas in my head. Most adults can't use punctuation correctly or differentiate between there, they're, or their. Don't they teach how to read and write in schools in the US?

At least in Germany, we have an excuse; they changed the spelling rules a couple of times within 10 years or so. Some teachers write the very old way, some insist on an already outdated version of the "new" orthography, some go back and forth depending on their mood. Every year you get a new teacher and are required to write differently. And in primary schools, they now teach kids to write as they hear it. Then they have to forget all that and learn the right way in 4th grade.
It's a total mess, even newspapers are not spelling right at all. I wonder how correct the German Siri will spell out words. The Mac dictionary was pretty modern so far.

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So these are 'reserved words'- how would you 'escape' them so they appear as words in their own right i.e., "i have to dash now"?

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
So these are 'reserved words'- how would you 'escape' them so they appear as words in their own right i.e., "i have to dash now"?

Interesting problem! I have tried different ways to get round this. No luck so far...

maddin4j

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2009
I am in the UK but I my english is american and not british. I cannot use the "period" command but have to use "full stop". It's quite annoying. I have set the language in the settings under Siri to US English but it still doesn't work.
Does anyone know how I can change that?

lapis

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
saying "Cap word" gives you Word.

Also, quote cap word closed quote = "Word"

lapis

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
This whole thing feels exactly like trying to convince people to write college papers directly on the computer instead of handwriting it on a notepad and "typing" it on the computer. It's going to take a bit for people to get used to "talking" their thoughts, but when they do, they won't go back.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is all caps awesome new paragraph I'm really liking Siri so far exclamation point!!

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Most adults can't use punctuation correctly or differentiate between there, they're, or their.

Can Siri tell the difference?:
"There." (in reply to a request, "Can I have a sammich?")
"Their's." (in reply to a text, "Is it our's or their's?")
"They're." (in reply to a text, "Are they going to the concert?")

Also, those ascii smiley faces are dead awful. This isn't the 90s anymore!

I wonder, will txtspk disappear?

Soon people will forget how to talk normally....
"Hey comma do you want to the concert this weekend question mark"
"Sure exclamation point I'm not sure if I have enough money comma though dot dot dot" (speaking of which, does "dot dot dot" work? Or do you have to say ellipses? Or can you only say "period period period"?)

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England

Stella said:

Can't figure out a way around this yet, despite my efforts.

French

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
Can Siri tell the difference?:
"There." (in reply to a request, "Can I have a sammich?")
"Their's." (in reply to a text, "Is it our's or their's?")
"They're." (in reply to a text, "Are they going to the concert?")

Also, those ascii smiley faces are dead awful. This isn't the 90s anymore!

Soon people will forget how to talk normally....
"Hey comma do you want to the concert this weekend question mark"
"Sure exclamation point I'm not sure if I have enough money comma though dot dot dot" (speaking of which, does "dot dot dot" work? Or do you have to say ellipses? Or can you only say "period period period"?)

Dot dot dot works. Results in ...

mrxak

macrumors 68000

I'm dictating this message right now. I have to admit it's pretty good. I do wish I can figure out how to do escape characters and words though. Also if I talk too quickly, I find it has trouble figuring out where I have one word end and another word begin, for hilarious phonetic results.

nvdhassani

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Post if you like

I've had the 4S for one day and used Siri for a lot of task and text diction.

I made a site for Siri. I figured everyone could post their Siri answers on there. Still working process but I already got couple of post.

humblesiri.us

anberlinairlift

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Charlotte Hall, MD
I know this is kind of off topic... but does anyone know for a fact why Apple didn't make Siri compatible with the iPhone 4? It doesn't make sense to me, considering that the 4 and the 4S both contain 512MB of RAM. Is it purely because of the A5 processor in the 4S?

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
I know this is kind of off topic... but does anyone know for a fact why Apple didn't make Siri compatible with the iPhone 4? It doesn't make sense to me, considering that the 4 and the 4S both contain 512MB of RAM. Is it purely because of the A5 processor in the 4S?

I heard that there could have also been licensing issues to get them on the iPhone 4.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
One thing that I noticed is missing from the list that I found out about because I use it a LOT (probably far more than I should... :p) and that's ellipsis- say, "I shouldn't use so many of these ellipsis" and Siri will 'type' "I shouldn't use so many of these..."

One thing I haven't figured out yet- how to make Siri NOT interpret those commands (like 'period') as the punctuation symbol and use the word itself. For example, I don't know how I could have composed this using Siri because every time I'd say 'ellipsis' it would replace it with '...'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.