Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
This thread is for those who are going to buy an iPhone 4S through eBay or Craigslist. Since the iPhone 4S didn't get a design upgrade, it is difficult to tell the difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S. Its the same way the iPhone 3GS was identical to the iPhone 3G.
I had a similar experience where I bought an iPhone 3G through eBay but I ended up with an iPhone 3GS and so the parts I had were incompatible.

I made a video to help out in case if it helps out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bfa_49OKOU

Please feel free to add anything that I have missed during the video to help others out.

Through iOS5
- The iPhone 4S has Siri which is an exclusive feature only for the iPhone 4S

Through the design
- The iPhone 4S has a model number of: A1387 while the iPhone 4 has a model number of: A1332
- The iPhone 4S has 4 antenna breaks while the iPhone 4 GSM Model has 3.
- So the iPhone 4S MUST NOT have a antenna break on top of the phone and MUST have a antenna break above the vibrate switch and on the top right side of the phone.
- The iPhone 4S has the same antenna band as the iPhone 4 CDMA version but the iPhone 4S has a Micro SIM Card Slot
- So if the iPhone 4S DOES NOT HAVE a Micro SIM Card slot, then its NOT an iPhone 4S

Extra help
Don't forget the FCC logos. The CDMA iPhone doesn't have them, but the 4S does.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
the 4s has a larger flash :confused:

Is this true? I was at a dubstep show last night and could not keep my eyes open for picture to save my life! It was dark with lights flashing everywhere so I figured my eyes should be accustomed to the brightness but in almost every picture with the 4S my eyes were half closed. :eek:

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
I think the antenna break on the right and sim card slot are enough to determine that it's a 4S. Why do you need any more evidence? :confused:

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
Is this true? I was at a dubstep show last night and could not keep my eyes open for picture to save my life! It was dark with lights flashing everywhere so I figured my eyes should be accustomed to the brightness but in almost every picture with the 4S my eyes were half closed. :eek:

i wanna go to a dubstep showwwwwwwww!!! *stamps feet*

i freakin love dubstep :(

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
The plus and minus on the volume buttons of the 4 are black and printed on, while the ones on the 4S are silver and engraved ;)

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
Hahah I'm sorry...I just realized the plus and minus on my old 4 were just dirty, making them appear black. I feel really stupid :confused:

iYitsy

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
NY
You can hold the phone up to your ear and activate siri

Also with the breaks, CDMA model of the iPhone 4 is exactly the same as the 4S. :p

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
You think by now Apple could put the damn model on the phone instead of requiring people to make such a thread. I mean my Camry has "LE" on the back so you can differentiate it from the CE and SE, not to mention the hybrid.

I have a co-worker trying to buy an iPhone for his wife because her iPhone 4 broke. I forget what it was, but I spotted a fake iPhone 4 listing last week. I think maybe it was just the seller claiming it was 4G. Even if it was a simple mistake, I wouldn't give someone $150 for a phone if they don't know whether it's 4G or not, especially since there is no such thing as a 4G iPhone.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

iBreatheApple said:
the 4s has a larger flash :confused:

You sure it wasn't the ecstasy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.