Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Apple mentioned Siri will learn your voice over time. Is there anyway we can help speed up this training process?

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Yeh I get that. But if Siri makes a mistake, should we manually change the error using the keyboard? Will this save what I meant to say? Because if I keep saying something and it keeps making mistakes there is no way for it to tell its made the error?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Yeh I get that. But if Siri makes a mistake, should we manually change the error using the keyboard? Will this save what I meant to say? Because if I keep saying something and it keeps making mistakes there is no way for it to tell its made the error?

It's unclear. That might be the case. Why not try saying something that it gets wrong a bunch, and correct it each time. See if it figures it out.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Yup, I am finding it a positive nightmare. It came out with some outrageous stuff earlier when I was texting my mate.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I had a Siri epic fail today at my daughter's soccer game. I had played with it on Friday and Saturday a bit and was trying to show it off to some of the other parents. It failed to understand almost everything I said to it. Virtually every one who watched my pathetic attempt to show off were completely underwhelmed.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
To be fair I knew this wasn't going to be great out the box and I'm fine with that, however I would like there to be some sort of process of training it. I'm happy to spend some time at the start to make it work better. But would hate to go back correcting errors if they aren't going to be stored and used to help in the future.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I don't think Siri learns. If it did it would learn your wife or home, etc. You have to define your wife in the contact, same with locations. If you don't have your wife defined, Siri asks who your wife is, then sends the text. But it does not remember this info, you are forced to enter it.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
It's still in beta so we have to be patient.

But so far I have not had too many mixups with it. Of course it has not heard me 100% of the time (I think the philly accent may be to blame) but for the most part it's been dead on. And a few times it missed a word or two and still knew what I meant.

And yeah it doesn't really "learn" but it does remember what you tell it. I set up a relationship for my girlfriends contact info and it's been a lot easier. Just say "send a text to my girlfriend" and it's away. Especially helpful for when you have multiple contacts with the same first name.

AnotherBrian

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Maybe you need to be a red neck

I have a deep southern accent and it understand almost everything I say. That's right y'all.

Do most of you just put it to your ear and talk like it's a phone call? I think just a normal talking voice works best, not yelling into the bottom of the phone like most people were doing in the Apple store. It was loud in there but my sisters wife didn't even realize you can just put it to your ear and it comes on.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I don't think Siri learns. If it did it would learn your wife or home, etc. You have to define your wife in the contact, same with locations. If you don't have your wife defined, Siri asks who your wife is, then sends the text. But it does not remember this info, you are forced to enter it.

It should remember the information after the first time. I told it to send a text to my husband. It asked who he was, then if I wanted it to remember who he was. Now I just tell it to text my husband and it does.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
It does add family info to your contacts (you define "you" in the settings for Siri). It adds those relationships to the contact list entry for your name. The trick is that not all contact types can take this input. If you sync with iCloud, it will remember those relationships. If you sync with Gmail or others, it may be spotty or no entry stored at all. I'm sure this will get better.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

You're wrong.

c.greene914

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007

Umm, no.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
It does add family info to your contacts (you define "you" in the settings for Siri). It adds those relationships to the contact list entry for your name. The trick is that not all contact types can take this input. If you sync with iCloud, it will remember those relationships. If you sync with Gmail or others, it may be spotty or no entry stored at all. I'm sure this will get better.

So, it actually works okay if you store your own personal contact on iCloud and remove yourself from gmail.

This is a limitation in exchange, in that it only lets you specify managers, spouse or supervisor.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Siri doesn't "learn" anything. It's a marketing myth.

If not, are there any objective measures that show this? There are many 3rd party sources that have put the 4S through its paces. You would think some of them would have studied Siri's ability to "learn".

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
I jailbroke mine and got Siri to have conversations with me. I've also seen it open applications. Pretty cool. But not perfected.

I think Siri does learn. It's responses always change.

markd107

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Is there a package you downloaded on jail broke phone?

I jailbroke mine and got Siri to have conversations with me. I've also seen it open applications. Pretty cool. But not perfected.

I think Siri does learn. It's responses always change.

Did you download a package for this? I have my iPhone jail broke and I don't see anything different about Siri? Can you please give me more details?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I Believe that Siri is learning. I did a test the other night with my 5 year old daughter. I would ask Siri a question and then I would have my daughther (who speaks very clear, but obviously has a distinctly different voice then mine) ask the same exact question. It was amazing that Siri correctly interpreted what I was saying 95% of the time with very few mistakes. My daughters success rate was less then 40%. So I firmly believe that Siri, overtime, learns to understand the way the primary user speaks. And I'd be willing to bet that my daughters success rate would have been higher if she was using a new iPhone right out the box where Siri hasn't had a "primary" voice to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.