Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I just want to load pics from my friends computer to my Iphone. I want to load some pics from mine onto it also.

I try to copy and paste them from the file on the computer by right clicking and using "copy" and them right clicking and "paste" onto my iphone files but it doesnt work.

If I can't just do this without downloading a bunch of crap I am selling this thing... On my old Samgung phone I can just copy and past both ways to transfer pics between any computer i want right to my phone...

How can I do this instantly. I dont have time to screw around, I transfer pics aot between my phone and many other desktop pc's and laptops...

Thanks...

Last edited:

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
I thought you had to use the Photos tab to sync photos from a folder or something. Well that's the way I've been doing it.

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Ive been copying and pasting on phones for at least 5 years... I never had a problem before.

How is that wrong??

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
On my old Samgung phone I can just copy and past both ways to transfer pics between any computer i want right to my phone...

Oh man, I love Sangung. I would go back to the Samgung if I were you.

Seriously, just drag the pics into iPhoto and sync, or email them to yourself from that computer, then add them to iPhoto from Mail. Other solutions are Dropbox (there's an iPhone app), iDisk (ditto), Flickr.

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
What is iphoto?? Is this in the phone?? How do I save files from many other computers to and from my phone instantly??

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
What is iphoto?? Is this in the phone?? How do I save files from many other computers to and from my phone instantly??

Just email then to your phone, iPhoto is a app for Mac , which I doubt your using one , and do you have Dropbox you can also put them on there

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
You can't copy and paste photos to an iPhone as you can the old Samsung phone.

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
What assumptions?? I am asking for help on how to load files to and from my Iphone to many different computers on a daily basis??

Is there a simple way? What am I missing?

I am aking, because if not, I need to return or sell this phone...

Thanks

----------

I am not able to email files and pics to my phone. I transfer files at least 3-4 times per day between many different computers.

I need to be able to do this instantly and quickly...

Reactions: Anthagon

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
What assumptions?? I am asking for help on how to load files to and from my Iphone to many different computers on a daily basis??

Is there a simple way? What am I missing?

I am aking, because if not, I need to return or sell this phone...

Thanks

----------

I am not able to email files and pics to my phone. I transfer files at least 3-4 times per day between many different computers.

I need to be able to do this instantly and quickly...

Download Goodreader and give it a shot.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
iPhone's aren't set up to act as a flash drive. I think it can be made to happen, but possibly only via jail breaking.

If you absolutely require that your phone act as a flash drive, the iOS platform isn't for you most likely and you might find it best to go to a different platform.

With that said, consider examining the need to use your phone as a flash drive. Is that the only way? Would not Dropbox or other cloud alternates for file movement serve the purpose in a modern manner?

I'm also curious how carrying a USB cable so you can use the phone is more convenient than a microSD based flash drive such as this or the many alternate versions.

Last edited:

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
To be honest I have no clue what any of this is.... I am just a busy buisness owner that simply needs to be able to transfer files alot between many different computers. I use my phone for this and up to now with my standard phones this has been a simple easy task.

Everyone told me to get an iphone cause its a great phone.... but it seems what I use my phone the most for is not able to be done efficiently.

I guess I will have to call sprint and see if I can trade it in for something different if this does not work out to be simple. :(

Alan Taylor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
Mississauga
Pastebot is cheap, and lets you copy/paste most things on the computer to the phone and from the phone to the computer. It's what you're looking for.

If this is NOT what you are looking for, return the phone.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I can understand your frustration, but also understand using a phone as a flash drive is akin to using a pickup truck as a ladder. Sure, it helps you wash the 2nd floor windows when you drive it up to your house, but that's not really what it's intended for. When you later replace it with a convertible sportscar, don't be that surprised when you can no longer stand on the roof of the car and wash the 2nd floor windows. And more importantly, that doesn't mean the sportscar is any less capable either.

My point here is take a step back and re-look at what you were doing and whether it still makes sense in today's world. I could be wrong, but a flash drive like the one I posted seems a lot easier to carry with you than a USB cable or an iPhone to USB cable, no?

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Sounds like what I need??

Do these programs work simple?? Like as in... just open the file, highlight necessary files, right click copy, then right click paste to recieving device file?

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Do yourself a favor and download Dropbox. Sign in on all of the computers you want the pictures to go to. Every time you add a picture (or anything for that matter) it will instantly be available on all of your devices. You can even add all of you pictures in your iPhone at once. Simple, albeit with a little bit of setup, but you don't even need to plug the phone in to get your pictures on every device.

Sounds like what I need??

Do these programs work simple?? Like as in... just open the file, highlight necessary files, right click copy, then right click paste to recieving device file?

Yes, this is how Dropbox works.

ad2435

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
Transfering music, photos and stuff requires itunes.

It is just the way it is.

You cannot copy/paste directly to the phone. You have to go through itunes.

You can copy/paste photos "off of the iphone" but not ON TO the iphone.

Apple locks you into using itunes.

Yes it sucks but it is what it is.

If you need to use your iphone to copy/paste info from different computers and stuff, the iphone is the wrong device for you.

Or get a small flash drive for your keychain or something.

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
A flashcard would be more simple... but many files I need to transfer are pictures. many of which I take with my phone and need to be able to plug into people computer and transfer to their files.

slr001

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
To be honest I have no clue what any of this is.... I am just a busy buisness owner that simply needs to be able to transfer files alot between many different computers. I use my phone for this and up to now with my standard phones this has been a simple easy task.

Everyone told me to get an iphone cause its a great phone.... but it seems what I use my phone the most for is not able to be done efficiently.

I guess I will have to call sprint and see if I can trade it in for something different if this does not work out to be simple. :(

lol, really? wow

nitrorocket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I guess it sounds like I should take the phone back and trade it in?? What a pita this is turning out to be! Lol

Wow what???

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007

The short answer is: No, you can't do that without downloading software. The good news is the only software you need is on the iPhone, not the computer. It requires you to be on a WiFi network though. If the computers will be on the same WiFi network as your iPhone, AirDisk will work great. It lets you go to your iPhone's address on the computer, and upload photos to it. No emailing, they're sent straight to the iPhone.

If that workflow won't work for you, the iPhone isn't for you.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
You don't really need to ask the questions like this on forums anymore. Just ask Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.