Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdmlight

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Chicagoland Suburbs
When you double-tap home to bring up your recently used apps, swiping to the left brings up the iTunes controls like it always has, but swiping left one farther brings up a volume control for iTunes.

You can use the device while syncing. Threw me off when I synced for the first time because I didn't see the usual "Sync in progress" screen. There is a little chasing arrows in the top of the screen next to the Wifi signal strength.

You can set notification types on an app-by-app basis. You can choose the new banner-style notification or the old popup-style notification.

I don't know if this is new to iOS 5, but you can switch from the silly Marker Felt font for the Notes app.

Everything is noticeably smoother on my iPod Touch 4g. I really like it.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Now you can tap and hold on a song/album, and you'll get a nice new popup, but with basically the same info you're seeing. But it should have different info (year, genre, rating, etc)

hypouxa2677

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I am experiencing some weird behavior with my music files, songs that are being displayed on my iphone 4 in the music app are not what is actually being played. Maybe a corrupted itunes database file?

Mikeyswen79

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
This one is an iOS 5 + Mac OSX thing:

As we all know, Reminders can be synced with Reminders on iCal, which is great!

The problem is you can no longer copy a calendar event in iCal and paste it to Reminders. It's basically to the point where there's a sub-application in iCal because now Reminders is completely independent of iCal.

iCloud makes it very tedious to make different Reminder calendars so you're kind of stuck with the iCal Reminders calendar for now as well.

One thing I'll miss but that I can live with. X_X

Victor Star

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Take a picture, swipe right to see it.

No need for small icon on bottom left

Great tip. Maybe it was timing but I was able to take a couple of photos, swipe right and delete one of them. The deleted one never came into Photo Stream.

Flake

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I just appreciate how much smoother the animations got. on the iphone 4 opening/closing folders and the multitasking tray when on a full home page is now butter smooth.

MrHappy

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
If you press and hold an iMessage that has not been delivered not only do you get the normal copy option, there is also an option to send the message by SMS.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I just appreciate how much smoother the animations got. on the iphone 4 opening/closing folders and the multitasking tray when on a full home page is now butter smooth.

mine always were like that :/

----------

If you press and hold an iMessage that has not been delivered not only do you get the normal copy option, there is also an option to send the message by SMS.

oh st soozie.. dont get me started on imessages.. big mess!

sportfan6197

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
Assisstive Touch is awesome, especially if your home button bugs out at times

go to Settings>Genereal>Accessibility>Assistive Touch and toggle it on, now you can lock your phone, volume controls, rotation controls, and even custom patterns etc

ahbdesign

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
When you double-tap home to bring up your recently used apps, swiping to the left brings up the iTunes controls like it always has, but swiping left one farther brings up a volume control for iTunes.

I think this was a feature of iOS 4 albeit in the later versions.

Also, since I'm an avid podcast listener, when I used to play a podcast and go to the home screen or lock my phone, there was a gap, as in an interruption. It would only happen when I lock my phone or go to the home screen from the iPod screen. This seems to have stopped with iOS 5 though. Small difference but nice nonetheless. Anyone else notice this?

Qramohn

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
For vivid photographers out there. You can use the handsfree as remote shutter for the camera. Just get a GorillaPod so that you don't drop the phone.. :cool: Guess it works for with a bluetooth handsfree too.

In camera-mode. Swipe left-to-right for quick access to the photoalbum.

If you get an UPS tracking number in a mail or SMS, then you can just touch the number and you will get an option to track the number. You'll be directed to the UPS-website. Guess it works similar for TNT and other similar companies.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
If you swipe across an artist, album, or song in the music app you can delete it on the fly.

ggbrown

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2003
I am experiencing some weird behavior with my music files, songs that are being displayed on my iphone 4 in the music app are not what is actually being played. Maybe a corrupted itunes database file?

I experienced this also, along with a few songs that simply didn't play.

The solution for me was to plug in my iPhone, go to the Music section in iTunes and uncheck "Sync Music", then sync.

Once it's done, re-check Sync Music and sync again. Takes awhile, but solved my issues. All has been good since then.

Good luck.

Cakester

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2009
Columbus
I experienced this also, along with a few songs that simply didn't play.

The solution for me was to plug in my iPhone, go to the Music section in iTunes and uncheck "Sync Music", then sync.

Once it's done, re-check Sync Music and sync again. Takes awhile, but solved my issues. All has been good since then.

Good luck.

I had the same issue, used the same procedure and it worked perfectly.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
When playing games (to me this happens mostly in games), trying to pull down the notification center, will only show the handle of the notification, so then if you are sure you want to pull it down then you have to pull down the handle...
So in another word the pulling down the notification center will require to actions..

This is neat a feature specially for games so you don't accidentally pull down the notification screen in the middle of a game play...

This. Probably the smartest little feature they introduced. It occurs in all apps that run fullscreen (eg they cover up the status bar)

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
For those of us with Windows, Reminders can sync to Outlook's Tasks. Just go to Settings > Mail > Exchange on the iOS device and turn "Reminders" to 'on'.

BJ

chutch15

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
PA
You can show the percentage of battery life remaining next to the battery icon.

Settings > General > Usage > Set "Battery Usage" to "On".

codencis

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Calendar

You can hold down a date in Calendar (month mode) and it will create an event with start/end set at "all-day".

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.