Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I've noticed the poor battery performance since getting the 4S, so I was checking Location Services, and noticed the purple arrow by Setting Time Zone, indicating it was currently using location services. Anyone else have this?

To find it, go to Settings/Location Services then at the very bottom, System Services.

ngawanglosang

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I've noticed the poor battery performance since getting the 4S, so I was checking Location Services, and noticed the purple arrow by Setting Time Zone, indicating it was currently using location services. Anyone else have this?

To find it, go to Settings/Location Services then at the very bottom, System Services.

same here, updated my iphone 4 to ios5 a few days ago, noticed problem this afternoon, i used the maps application this afternoon, don't know if it has anything to do with it. I disabled the location settings for the time zone, then reenabled it, and the purple arrow came back for 2 minutes, and now it has disappeared. but it stayed on for a very long time this afternoon.

zobby

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes. Mines doing the same and it really hammered the battery. I've turned it off for the moment until someone resolves it.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I found switching the time zone setting from auto to manual stopped it happening for me.

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
I found switching the time zone setting from auto to manual stopped it happening for me.

but does this actually waste battery life? it would appear that it does because gps is always on...

I assume setting time zone to manual mean you have to change it when you travel... any other solutions? What if i just turn off "setting time zone" instead of turning off auto time zone.. what is the difference?

Last edited:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
but does this actually waste battery life? it would appear that it does because gps is always on...

I assume setting time zone to manual mean you have to change it when you travel... any other solutions? What if i just turn off "setting time zone" instead of turning off auto time zone.. what is the difference?

This is just a guess, but the new system service probably tries to detect your time zone via GPS. In ios 4, I think time zone was detected through your cell network.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I don't believe the GPS is always on and have seen no evidence of that in my phone. It appears it comes on periodically to ID location then switches back off. I'm not seeing any battery issues here.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
This has been a problem since the iOS 5 betas. Beta 2 I believe. They resolved it at some point, but its back in GM. Don't know if it is only on the 4S or on all devices, but it was definitely an issue with a 4.

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Mine is turned to "ON" and it's never purple. It's always grey since it's not actually needing to be used.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It was always purple on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5. I turned it off.

So at the top of your phone the purple GPS triangle is on all the time? I don't see this on my 4S. Did you update from a beta or something that maybe brought bugs with it? It is odd some see this and others do not.

Raymond110168

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Same here! Get confused and annoying

It is gonna turn on every 2~3 mins and last for 5 to 15 and more mins ( depends how long u use it). sometimes even long the entire night ( but plugged to power). When I stayed home or in campus building or whatever place, the icon appears periodly. And look at the usage time vs idle time, it's rediculous: half of the time my iPhone is in used even though I leave it alone.

Once I turn off time zone auto setting, I'll gone.

I finally find out why my iphone run outta juice that's fast! Its more because GPS using rather than be in a weak signal area I guess!

iPhone 4 with iOS 5 installed on Three network in Australia.

What's the purpose of doing this or just a Bug?

Raymond110168

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
GPS always on by auto setting time zone function

Or maybe iPhone use the gps signal help to choose a better cell tower#?

Or just use it for quick launch of Camera (with location tag right?) ? #

Or just being tracked by friends in Find Friends?? #

Or just kill ur battery especially after one year warranty but no extra Apple Care Plan? #

Or just need a backup power station like Air Juice ? ☕

... #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.