Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Setup iPhone as new, iPhone 4 played all music fine, and iTunes is playing the track just fine right now, but on the 4S the majority of my music won't play, I press a song, it takes me to the play screen then kicks me back to album view to choose a song.

Any ideas?

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I found someone online suggesting resetting all settings which I've done and it was basically a restore.... So doing it now, restoring from an iCloud backup, annoying as the iPhone never warned me of this but oh well, see what happens. I might try re-syncing all my music overnight too, but its 14Gb of music so don't want to if I don't have to really.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I think it is a matter of time before apple will not allow burned music on their devices. forcing you to purchase music from iTunes or install from a cd.

im not saying this has anything to do with OP's problem im just saying......

terp north

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I am having the same issue. All music that I bought through iTunes works fine. All other downloaded/burned from CD music will sync to the iPhone 4s, but won't play. Some play but start from the middle of the song, some don't play at all.

All of these songs play fine within iTunes, and on my iPod.

Frustrating.

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
I am having the same problem. All of my purchased music will not play on my iPhone 4S. I can download it from iCloud but if i sync with my computer they will disappear. Like the person before me, all of my songs play fine within iTunes. HELP!

Jaredhaney

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
I reset my phone and it played alright for a couple weeks, then it slowly quit playing music again, it was almost like a plague because slowly more an more of my music quit playing, from online downloads, bought off iTunes, and downloaded off CDs, they all quit. I took my phone to the local apple outlet and since it was so new they gave me a whole new phone because they couldn't find any faults with the scan they do in the store. The new phone worked flawlessly for about 3 or 4 weeks and just now it's started to quit playing music again. It almost seems like the 4s is disposable as an mp3 player and I'll need a new one every month?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I think it is a matter of time before apple will not allow burned music on their devices. forcing you to purchase music from iTunes or install from a cd.

im not saying this has anything to do with OP's problem im just saying......

This is never going to happen. And installing from a cd is the same as burned music...

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
Jailbroken?

How many of you having this problem have jailbroken your iPhones? What JB apps have you installed? Any failed installs that may have corrupted your old files?

I'm getting this error as well - my phone plays recently purchased/downloaded songs but it seems anything on my phone older than two weeks won't play...

I have 3G unrestrictor, sbsettings, activator, and mywi. The mywi install was having problems installing and I have a hunch a couple failed installs have corrupted some music files. Other than that I have no clue what it would be.

mstone6453

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
IPhone won't play recently downloaded (from iTunes) music

Hi All~

So I recently got a new iPhone (to replace one that had a bad battery), and I noticed that two or three of the albums I purchased on iTunes won't play. The program takes me to the song screen and it shows the amount of time on the countdown timer/bar, but the song won't start (and it's not on pause, as the pause sign is visible as if it's playing). I tried fast forwarding, nothing. I can't figure out why these albums are not playing when the vast majority of my music plays fine.

Also the same albums that won't play on my iPhone play beautifully on my actual computer (through iTunes).

Help!

ilovegrace

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
Why in the world won't my iPhone 4s play a bunch of songs that it has played hundreds of times before? Same phone, same songs.

james318

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
Why in the world won't my iPhone 4s play a bunch of songs that it has played hundreds of times before? Same phone, same songs.

I'm having the same issue. Resetting my phone worked for a few songs, but not all. Annoying. The Apple store told me I need to do a full system restore as the next troubleshooting tip. I am not going to be home for the next three weeks, so its a little impractical (but not impossible...)

ilovegrace

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
I'm having the same issue. Resetting my phone worked for a few songs, but not all. Annoying. The Apple store told me I need to do a full system restore as the next troubleshooting tip. I am not going to be home for the next three weeks, so its a little impractical (but not impossible...)

They told me the same thing!! :( rotten our nets to slow to do it too!! ;(

Last edited:

gnice516

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
iPhone 4s same thing

I switched from an iPhone 4 to 4S and the same thing was happening to me. I think I figured out what to do. I went to the music app under songs then hit store in the upper left corner. Once in the store hit purchased and then I had to download every song from the cloud back onto my phone. All of my CD music is working fine it was just the purchased music that wasn't working. I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.