Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHRONiC YOUTH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Hey guys Im wondering if it is at all possible to start a download on my ipad and have it save directly to a nas drive? That way it will never take up space on my ipad, and wont have to waste time syncing..

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
No.

Update: I looked around a bit. It appears that the app iFiles will allow you to download a file then upload it elsewhere.

If you had a NAS drive, you should be able to upload the file there.

Note: you can't upload arbitrary files with iFiles; you can only upload files that you downloaded into iFiles.

I'm curious: can you explain why you have a need for the external storage?

Last edited:

CHRONiC YOUTH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
I want to download larger files on my ipad and have them save to my nas so I dont have to go through the trouble of syncing them, they will just be accessible.. plus I hate having to have to switch to my xbox to watch all my divx movies it would be neater if I could do all of it through my atv2

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks. I think that iFiles will do the job, but I've never tried it. Please read the app's info/feedback and make sure it will do what you want before buying it.

CHRONiC YOUTH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Im really not trying to download and upload though.. It would be quicker just to sync rather upload, I'm wondering I guess if there is any app that supports downloading/saving to a NAS, kinda like how you can browse and change your file destinations on a pc to do so..

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
FYI: This thread has a good discussion of iFiles.

Im really not trying to download and upload though.. It would be quicker just to sync rather upload, I'm wondering I guess if there is any app that supports downloading/saving to a NAS, kinda like how you can browse and change your file destinations on a pc to do so..

I don't see that happening. in iOS, there is no concept of any file system other than the local iOS file system.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
Both Seagate and Western Digital are selling external hard drives that, combined with an app, provide essentially NAS storage for the iPad. Seagate's GoFlex Satellite device has built-in wireless while Western Digital's My Book connects to your wireless router (so it is more of a true NAS). I was seriously considering the WD device, but the app store reviews for the Western Digital iPad app are bad. The price for the Seagate is over my budget, but their app is also getting bad reviews.

Please let us know what solution you end up using!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
What?

Hypothetically, how long do you think it would take to upload a 2gb+ file from an ipad to a nas drive over ftp??

google those words and become enlightened.

set it up correctly and you will not download a single file to your iPad, but rather, search for them with your ipad, send the NZBs to SABNZBD on your NAS with your iPad, download the actual files directly to your NAS, bypassing your iPad, and then manage the files with your iPad.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
It sounds like you're on the bleeding edge of this tech. You have NAS, but you don't have a PC, a desktop Mac, or a cheap Linux box to pull the files down. That would be a rather obvious solution. It would be nice to have some seamless way to queue files to be pulled down, but such things don't exist yet.

SABNZBD sounds like a rather awful hack. I can imagine a worse way than USENET to use as a conduit for queued file transfer, but I'd have to think for a long time to come up with one. :( Why would the files you want already have an NZB? How would one request a file get added? What would be the latency of getting it distributed? Is there any sort of digital signing to ensure the content in the USENET files is correct?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Install DropBOX, this will allow you to download programs to a shared folder both your PC & iPad can share.

and/or

Use a good NAS with an iPad app that allows downloading directly to the NAS (Synology or QNAP are good and both have iPad apps). Those NAS's also support popular filesharing services.
Synology Live Demo

and/or

WebDAV (the above NAS's support WebDAV) it's basically a DIY cloud and there are iPad apps for that too.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
It's hands down the most popular downloader across all platforms.

Even if true, the two are not mutually exclusive. A popular program can indeed be an awful kludge. If you think the program isn't a kludge, please address the questions I listed:

SABNZBD sounds like a rather awful hack. I can imagine a worse way than USENET to use as a conduit for queued file transfer, but I'd have to think for a long time to come up with one. :( Why would the files you want already have an NZB? How would one request a file get added? What would be the latency of getting it distributed? Is there any sort of digital signing to ensure the content in the USENET files is correct?

Thanks.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Even if true, the two are not mutually exclusive. A popular program can indeed be an awful kludge. If you think the program isn't a kludge, please address the questions I listed:

Thanks.

Have you ever used Usenet? It's not clear. You search for a file you want. You download a small .nzb file, which tells your file aggregating software what (media) files to download. You open the .nzb in your file aggregating software and the file(s) begin downloading. Afterwards, you unrar the collected files and reassemble them. A good aggregator, like SABNZBD does this automatically. It also runs natively on Linux NAS boxes.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Have you ever used Usenet? It's not clear.

Did you bother to search with google before asking? :D

I've used USENET since the days when UUCP was used to move the files -- but that's not tremendously important for this discussion.

You search for a file you want. You download a small .nzb file, which tells your file aggregating software what (media) files to download. You open the .nzb in your file aggregating software and the file(s) begin downloading. Afterwards, you unrar the collected files and reassemble them. A good aggregator, like SABNZBD does this automatically. It also runs natively on Linux NAS boxes.

It sounds as if the system is a USENET flavor of torrents.

How exactly will that help the OP with his problem? How does it help with the general problem of queueing an arbitrary file to be downloaded onto a local storage device? I don't really see how it does.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Did you bother to search with google before asking? :D

I've used USENET since the days when UUCP was used to move the files -- but that's not tremendously important for this discussion.

It sounds as if the system is a USENET flavor of torrents.

How exactly will that help the OP with his problem? How does it help with the general problem of queueing an arbitrary file to be downloaded onto a local storage device? I don't really see how it does.

it is similar to bitorrent, the main difference being you download from 1 dedicated usenet server, vs from an array of seeding peers, thus the speeds can be (and in my case always are) very fast, and are far more reliably downloaded.

how would this help the OP? he/she would install SABNZBD mobile on their ipad, and SABNZBD on their NAS. SABNZBD mobile has a web search interface built in. On the iPad, they search for a file, download the nzb, have the nzb transferred to the NAS, (which has SABNZBD running and ready all the time), download all the parts, combine them into the final media file, all in one click....and from anywhere the iPad can connect to the web. No files are downloaded thru the iPad. It's all done on the NAS...the iPad just acts as a ticket agent; the nzb being the ticket. And you can queue as many tickets as you like...they will all get downloaded and unpacked with little to no intervention.

So, the original question, "wondering if it is at all possible to start a download on my ipad and have it save directly to a nas drive?" is answered in the method above, and without needing to keep the iPad on and downloading tons of data over 3G or wifi...all the heavy downloading is done by the NAS at home.

If I didn't make this clear, I'm sorry, but please stop asking why this is any good or why it will help the OP. It just is and it just will. Trust me. Usenet is a different place these days, and the tools are very different.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
That dog don't hunt.

how would this help the OP? he/she would install SABNZBD mobile on their ipad, and SABNZBD on their NAS. SABNZBD mobile has a web search interface built in. On the iPad, they search for a file, download the nzb, have the nzb transferred to the NAS, (which has SABNZBD running and ready all the time), download all the parts, combine them into the final media file, all in one click....and from anywhere the iPad can connect to the web. No files are downloaded thru the iPad. It's all done on the NAS...the iPad just acts as a ticket agent; the nzb being the ticket. And you can queue as many tickets as you like...they will all get downloaded and unpacked with little to no intervention.

You didn't answer the question: it only helps the OP if the files he wants have already been downloaded to the local NNTP server.

It is most certainly not a generalized solution to queueing arbitrary web files to be downloaded to a local NAS server.

This only works if your ISP maintains a USENET archive of these [large] files. This costs ISPs real money for the hardware and to maintain, and there is no way that all the content of the internet could ever possibly be kept populated by each ISP.

So, the original question, "wondering if it is at all possible to start a download on my ipad and have it save directly to a nas drive?" is answered in the method above, and without needing to keep the iPad on and downloading tons of data over 3G or wifi...all the heavy downloading is done by the NAS at home.

If I didn't make this clear, I'm sorry, but please stop asking why this is any good or why it will help the OP. It just is and it just will. Trust me. Usenet is a different place these days, and the tools are very different.

It does nothing to address the problem of how to download an arbitrary set of files to a NAS device. Trust us: it is not a general solution to the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.