Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
not sure if this was mentioned but you could play YouTube (say music from YouTube) and do other stuff...

just find the song you wanna play on YouTube, go to the home screen, double click on the home button, swipe to the right and press play.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.PNG
    IMG_1202.PNG
    278.6 KB · Views: 371

ZepFloyd

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
not sure if this was mentioned but you could play YouTube (say music from YouTube) and do other stuff...

just find the song you wanna play on YouTube, go to the home screen, double click on the home button, swipe to the right and press play.

wow...very nice!

Clayne

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Groups now in contacts. May have to set them up through icloud.com. not sure yet.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
You can now see the amount of space individual apps are using so you can tidy up those memory hogs right from your iPhone/iPod.

Go to Settings -> General -> Usage and wait a few seconds for the list to to refresh.

You can then tap on an app and see how much space the "documents & data" are taking and even delete the app right from that same page.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    169.2 KB · Views: 302

yislam

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Yusuf

I like the custom vibrations for contacts!

Also noticed you can make the led flash for incoming alerts too! Right below enabling custom vibrations.

These were not undocumented features. They are there in the list of new features

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Answer in Speaker mode

This may have been in previous versions, but I just discovered it while exploring. You can set the phone to always answer calls in speaker mode!:D (or headset mode if you prefer that)

Settings/General/Accessibility/Physical & Motor/Incoming Calls

skuu2

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

ZepFloyd said:

wow...very nice!

this was in 4 and maybe before :) very handy trick

yislam

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Yusuf

I like the custom vibrations for contacts!

Also noticed you can make the led flash for incoming alerts too! Right below enabling custom vibrations.

You can create a lengthy line of text in any message by using a 3 letter code.

Type "NYC" and the phone types "I'm in the city, if you're up for going out tonight text me back" or anything else you configure.

BJ

Such a feature has been in Blackberry smartphone for years

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
not sure if this was undocumented but you can now create photo albums within the photo.app!

click edit on top right corner and then 'add' button on top left.

finally can organize the photo in the camera roll and/or photo library!

Norinion

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I get this (it looks like airplay) icon when in mutlitasking to scrolling towards the volume meter.. apparently i can switch whether it goes out through iphone or iphone speaker... however i can't get it work? maybe this is the use with earphones? can someone test?

and it seomtiems changes to juse iphone.... iono

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

codencis said:
You can hold down a date in Calendar (month mode) and it will create an event with start/end set at "all-day".

:apple:

That's a nice one. Thanks!

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Keep the tips coming guys, these are great! And if the OP would be so kind to compile them on the first post, that'd be awesome!

Also - there's a new cool animation when you set Safari to open links in the background.

bier-meister

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
You can now group by album artists in the music app. Nice setting if you have a lot of compilation or mixes, it annoyed me previously having to scroll through 100's of artists.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011

Take a picture, swipe right to see it.

No need for small icon on bottom left

just discovered a bug with this:

take a picture, swipe right to see it, delete it, swipe left to go back onto camera, picture you just took is still there as an icon in bottom left!

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
If you tap and hold on a song or album when in Music app on iPhone, the song title and artist is shown in a balloon - this is useful if the title is long and goes off the edge of the screen.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
For those of us with Windows, Reminders can sync to Outlook's Tasks. Just go to Settings > Mail > Exchange on the iOS device and turn "Reminders" to 'on'.

I found that if you do this, you lose significant functionality in the Reminder app.

If Reminders are synced to Outlook, you can't set a location on a reminder (leaving, arriving). I switched to syncing reminders to iCloud, and it restored that functionality.

----------

If you get an UPS tracking number in a mail or SMS, then you can just touch the number and you will get an option to track the number. You'll be directed to the UPS-website. Guess it works similar for TNT and other similar companies.

That's been in iOS since at least 4.0, although I can't be positive it was supported in an SMS msg.

It works for FedEx, as well.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Is documented but nice to point out:

In mail touch a word to select it, the bubble will then include cut, paste etc. and the option to put emphasis, get definition, etc. on the selection.

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
For those of us with Windows, Reminders can sync to Outlook's Tasks. Just go to Settings > Mail > Exchange on the iOS device and turn "Reminders" to 'on'.

I found that if you do this, you lose significant functionality in the Reminder app.

If Reminders are synced to Outlook, you can't set a location on a reminder (leaving, arriving). I switched to syncing reminders to iCloud, and it restored that functionality.

Actually, the Reminders app works similarly to the calendar and and contacts apps in that Exchange and iCloud run side-by-side. Although you can't layer "Tasks" (Exchange) and "Reminders" (iCloud) into a single list like you can with Contacts and Calendar (in both of which you can view them combined or individually), you don't have to disable the Exchange reminders (really, it's "Tasks") in order to take advantage of the iCloud "Reminders".

If both are enabled at the same time, there are two "sheets" in the Reminders App -- the "Tasks" sheet syncs with Exchange (and doesn't have all the nifty features), and the "Reminders" sheet syncs with iCloud (and does have all the nifty features). The "Reminders" sheet is located a right-swipe from the "Tasks" sheet (which usually comes up first by default).

So, if you want to take advantage of the nifty iCloud "Reminders" features, you just need to make sure that when you're entering a given "reminder" you're doing so on the "Reminders" sheet instead of the "Tasks" sheet.

As an aside, this parallel structure for Exchange and iCloud is a godsend for 2-iPhone families (like mine). iCloud, basically, functions as our own personal family exchange server, and to be able to run that in parallel with my work exchange is unbelievably useful. The only downside is that the Mrs. has figured out that she can get errands onto my phone from the house without me knowing about them until I've left work. It's already happened that she's setup a Reminder set to alarm when I'm leaving work to do X, Y, and Z on my way home, and I didn't even know about it until I was on my way. I find that kind of cool now...not sure how I'm going to feel when the novelty wears off!

zero hectic

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
iPhone only: Video Playlist in Music App

I have a lot of problems with how the new Music app has implemented, but this was a nice surprise.

I have a huge video library, so I find it easier to set up playlists to organize and access what I want to sync to my iphone or ipad. Usually, the devices ignore the playlists themselves and just display the content as either TV, Movies or Music Videos. This remains the case in the iPad implementation of the Music and Video apps. But in the iPhone version, the Music app allows you to access it as a playlist and play it through, with both audio and video! I currently have three playlists in my iPhone (Music Videos, Trailers, TV Shows) and all three are playable, and will play through in the order displayed, one after the next, like a proper playlist. Shuffle also seems to work if you have enough content. I have no idea why it's in the Music app and not in the Video app, but I'm pleased to have the capability all the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.