Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Mine don't even last a day. I use my phone moderately across the day (usually from 8 a.m.-9p.m.) with about an hour or so of music listening both at the beginning and end of the day.

I don't know why, but my battery seems to sometimes make it until the end of those hours and sometimes it just doesn't...

What about you guys? Are your charges similar?

Anthony.L

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Seattle, WA
Today was my first full business day using the iPhone 4s. Coming from a Blackberry where I could get two full days on a single charge, I was hoping for just one day on the iPhone. I was talking on the phone a lot throughout the day, checking exchange mail constantly, taking notes, and even used the phone as a mobile hotspot for 40 mins at lunch. Got home and had 25% left on the battery. That's fine by me, as long as it last until I go to bed (where it sits on a charger all night).

bryanjc

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Glad this seems to be getting some attention, let me say i love the iPhone but the battery life has always been poor. i'm at 91% now, how 52 minutes usage and 2 hours 24 minutes on standby.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
My battery seems to go up a little everyday since I've gotten the phone. Gonna keep using for 2 weeks before jumping to conclusions...

jauhari

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Today was my first full business day using the iPhone 4s. Coming from a Blackberry where I could get two full days on a single charge, I was hoping for just one day on the iPhone. I was talking on the phone a lot throughout the day, checking exchange mail constantly, taking notes, and even used the phone as a mobile hotspot for 40 mins at lunch. Got home and had 25% left on the battery. That's fine by me, as long as it last until I go to bed (where it sits on a charger all night).

That's awesome stats.... that's in 3G Data? Do you run/install Facebook, Twitter and other socials apps? do you use it?

myskepticsight

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
No very long! My phone as been mostly on standby approx. 5 hours and I have 50% battery. I am actually quite concerned, my 4S is quite hot on the back, is anybody else experiencing this? I feel the drain on the battery is quite severe for a new phone, may pop into apple store during the week to quiz it over.

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
I have the 4s and it appears battery life is much worse. I had to do a mid-day charge at around 4-5PM which i never had to do with my iPHone 4 or 3Gs.. I'm keeping a close eye. It appears this is going to be a big inconvienence.

We will see.

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
iPhone 4 on 4.3.5 would go for 2days+.It looks like I may have to charge everyday with the 4S running 5.0

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I've come to the 4S from a 3GS and the battery life between charges is a massive improvement.

I posted on another forum yesterday that it was 3:45pm and my 3GS would have been down around 25% by then from a full charge the night before, but my 4GS was still at 58% :D In fact, I was probably using the 4S more as the novelty hadn't worn off so I was still "playing".

offcamber

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
USA
Streamline

Looks like each phone has to be streamlined per user to get the expected battery usage.
The 4s does so much that with most of those features turned on it will drain the batt quickly.
Good news is that you can't use the complete feature set at once so customizing the settings should help you.
Set up your 4s as if it were your 4 or 3G and then add the new features that you like.

Do all of your email accts need to be pushed?
Does the compass calibration need to be on?
Only running around town today? Does the time zone service need to be on?
Do you need location based iAds?
How many widgets are running?
Are you backing up to iCloud?

I agree that the 4s battery sucks when you turn on all the new features but by only using what you need you could improve the battery life.

ToxicMan

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I leave the house at 6:40 am with 100%. By 11:00am, im at 35%.

i listen to a playlist for an hour on the train
i read some emails at the office
i send a few texts
mostly, the phone is idle.

by 1pm, its empty and needs a charge

Last edited:

JTausTX

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, Texas

i listenen to a playlist for an hour on the train
i send a few texts

Definitely not my experience.

I came from a 3G and didn't know about manually closing background apps - I figured that once you hit home they pretty much closed, like on the 3G. Well, so I discovered yesterday at lunch that every app I'd opened since Friday when I got the phone was still running in the background. My battery life at 12:30 or so (6 hours off the charger) was over 80%. So, 20% or less in 6 hours with light-to-moderate usage but with tons and tons of apps running in the background.

Another example - I've been off the charger around an hour now and I'm still at 100%. That's all standby time, but if the battery was really that bad I think it would've drained some.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK

i listenen to a playlist for an hour on the train
i send a few texts

Mine is no where near as 'bad' as yours. Today I listened to music for 40minutes, sent a LOT of texts, about 40 or 50. And checked my emails a few times (as well as sending one on 3G) (they are pushed to me) as well as playing cut the rope for 20 minutes and sudoku for about 25. Also browsed and downloaded 2 apps from the app store on wifi and browsed the normal web on wifi for about 10 minutes. My battery is now 70% with 2hours10minutes usage and 3hours40 standby.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Went to bed with 40% woke up dead.

I went to bed at 100%. I had charged it in the evening, following my second full cycle drain, and took it off the charger about 11:15 at night. I woke up at 6:15 and it's still at 100%. Maybe you have a lot of data being pushed on a frequent basis?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Mine don't even last a day. I use my phone moderately across the day (usually from 8 a.m.-9p.m.) with about an hour or so of music listening both at the beginning and end of the day.

I don't know why, but my battery seems to sometimes make it until the end of those hours and sometimes it just doesn't...

What about you guys? Are your charges similar?

I charged it day Sunday night. It has gone through all of Monday, it's now Tuesday morning and it's at 51%. This is day 2 without charging.

I have these settings in effect:

Location Services > System Services > Setting Time Zone - OFF, Location Based iAds - OFF
Weather - Local Weather > OFF
Notification Center > Stocks > OFF
Bluetooth > OFF
General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Don’t Send > ON
General > Restrictions > Ping > OFF
General > Spotlight Search > Mail - OFF, Messages - OFF

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I hope you all realize the new phone will require some battery conditioning before it performs its best.

When you're able to, let the phone go all the way to 0% and shut off, then plug it in to a wall charger (not into computer) and let it charge to 100%, and then leave it on the charger for another hour or 2 after that. I guarantee you notice a greatly improved battery life after that.

The percentage a new phone reports is going to be wrong most of the time. And I bet when you go to let the phone die to 0, you'll see it stick at 1% for a lot longer than it should.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Weather - Local Weather > OFF
Notification Center > Stocks > OFF

I'm all for this. If you don't care about stocks, def turn the ticker off...that's an internet check every time you open notificiation center.
Also, DEFINITELY local weather off. That's a GPS check every time you open the center.

ajayvarma87

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
I didn't even know that my bluetooth was on as default! There is no sign at the top to indicate that it is on. Thanks

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Down to 76% usage. 1 hour 21 minutes of usage. 2 hours and 7 minutes of standby..
All I've been doing is sending a couple of text. Maybe 30 minutes of iPod. A 5 minute phone call..
Completely unacceptable. No exchange accounts. Bluetooth off. Wifi off.
Majority of location services off.
Wifi sync is also off. I don't know what to do.. My iPhone 4 would probably still be around 90% right now..

Just dropped to 75% while typing this post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.