Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
This was probably discussed ad nauseum in 2010, but can the iPad 1 be modified in any way to allow facetime and/or skype? Not sure what the term would be but can I use a USB adaptor and hook up a webcam? As I said, I can't find any threads from 2010 that may give an answer to this and apple.com don't have much information either in Communities. Thanks for your help

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have no idea if this works, but a quick google search turned up this blog entry that describes how to get Facetime working on an iPad 1. There's no way of getting a camera connected and working with it AFAIK though.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
This was probably discussed ad nauseum in 2010, but can the iPad 1 be modified in any way to allow facetime and/or skype? Not sure what the term would be but can I use a USB adaptor and hook up a webcam? As I said, I can't find any threads from 2010 that may give an answer to this and apple.com don't have much information either in Communities. Thanks for your help

Just get an iPad 2....

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A camera accessory was under development (iClops, I think) but it was cancelled. There is no way to upgrade the iPad 1 with FaceTime.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
honestly,

buying a used iPhone 4 or an iPad 2 are the only robust solutions. The iPhone 4 could be locked (and thus cheaper) since Facetime works only via Wifi anyway .

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
thanks for your help. Picking one up for my elderly parents, and with the refurb discounts currently available I thought it would be a good opportunity as not entirely convinced how they would take to it. If they take to their new toy as well as I hope the should then without question the iPad 2 would be the right option, but at the price I don't think I'd want to experiment on their adoption! They are very likely to have it on the coffee table and merely browse pictures of the grandchildren that I stream to them! At the refurb price, an experiment I am willing to make...

Last edited:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
The camera on the iPad 2 sucks though...but having had both the iPad original and the 2, particularly with iOS 5, the UI lag on the original makes its usability frustrating IMHO so the iPad 2 is really the only way forward...

What UI lag would you be referring to on the iPad 1? I use an iPad 1 on iOS 5.01 every day and have never experienced the kind of lag to with you refer. If you are talking about graphic intensive games, thats entirely another issue. The iPad 1 is still a very usable device for day to day use, email, surfing, even gaming. I would go so far as to say its a bargain if you can find one used for a decent price. I am not disputing the advances evident in the iPad 2, it excels in many areas beyond the iPad 1, but then you would expect that in a hardware refresh.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Maybe I have a duff device but in my experience even firing up a new app without multitasking takes way too long and within certain non-gaming apps, the responsiveness is not what it used to be before iOS 5. Even in silly little games which are not particularly graphically intensive, the responsiveness of the machine is significantly worse than an iPhone 4 or even an iPod touch 4th gen (both utilising the same processor as the original iPad of course). Like I said, I can't speak for everyone but in my experience, this is what I find.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Not to continue too far off topic, but I'd just like to back up the OPs UI lag claims on the original iPad. A large number of original iPad users (myself included) experienced a massive slowdown upgrading from iOS 4 to 5. In dinky tasks like Safari and Mail, my iPad 2 (technically, my wife's) now feels like it is several generations faster than my iPad 1, where before the differences weren't as noticeable.

Anyway, I've tried a few cheapie Logitech webcams plugged into my iPad via Apple's USB adaptor, and none were compatible with it. All gave the "USB device requires more power" message.

If you are considering an iPad 2 for FaceTime use, I can honestly say that the front camera is OK for FaceTime performance. The rear camera takes decent video. But for still shots, both cameras are utter garbage, even in decent lighting.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I also had lag but to be honest didn't realize it until I got the iPad 2. Once I saw how smooth it was I was very surprised at the performance of my original iPad.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Yes... you can sell ipad 1 and get iPad 2 with more money. Making and modifying the iPad 1 will be much much harder.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Yes... you can sell ipad 1 and get iPad 2 with more money. Making and modifying the iPad 1 will be much much harder.

That is exactly what I did. I would have liked a better camera but hey, the iPad 2 is plenty good enough particularly for FaceTime. And when the iPad 3 comes out (rumoured with a much better camera) then the iPad 2 goes off to my parents and I have a new toy!

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
The original request mentioned Skype. You can run Skype on the ipad1 but the person you call cannot see you. If they have an ipad2 or use a computer you can see them. Audio works ok both ways.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
The original request mentioned Skype. You can run Skype on the ipad1 but the person you call cannot see you. If they have an ipad2 or use a computer you can see them. Audio works ok both ways.

I have moved on from there when I traded in my iPad1 on realising that it was false economy to try and modify that machine in order to be able to do video conferencing/calling. As others mentioned before, the ipad2 is the best and most direct way to do that and I found that out with my experience. Thankfully I traded my iPad1 at a good price so I didn't lose out too much by not listening to advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.