Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msstarbucks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hello,

I updated my 6G Ipod Nano yesterday to Firmware 1.2 as suggested by ITunes 10.5.

Since the update, the nano stops playing music and switches off after approx. 30-40 sec. To continue I have to press the sleep/wake button and hit the Play button again. Very frustrating!

I also noticed that it stops playing music at the same time when the screen sleep function turns on. If I keep my finger on the screen (the screen sleep function does not turn on) it does not do it and the music continues playing....Unacceptable!

Has anyone experienced anything similar with the new Firmware update? Is there any fix/solution for this? Please help.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Just do a restore or a dfu restore and it will be fine. Mine works great after the 1.2 update. I had troubles with battery life after updating and a dfu restore fixed it. Either restore it or connect it to your mac / pc and hold all keys until it reboots twice then itunes will prompt to restore it.

edit: read below it looks like ftaok found the real problem. At least I'm able to reproduce it.

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Make sure your headphone plug is all the way in. My theory to why this happens is that when the screen is on, there's enough power for the headphones to work, but when the nano goes to sleep mode, there's not enough power anymore.

In any event, seems to be the solution.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Make sure your headphone plug is all the way in. My theory to why this happens is that when the screen is on, there's enough power for the headphones to work, but when the nano goes to sleep mode, there's not enough power anymore.

In any event, seems to be the solution.

Just tested this and this is the cause. I can even get the music to sound right but when the screen goes off the sound goes too. Either that or your ipod jack sensing mechanism is busted or dirty. It must be some kind of power saving measure.

Last edited:

rebelminion

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Here is something I found posted in the Apple forum that sounds like what you are talking about.

Your nano is pausing playback when the screen goes dark (Either when it goes dark on its own or when you click the sleep/wake button). The reason for this is that it is not detecting your headset. You may be able to hear music, but the headset jack is not inserted enough for the nano to detect that it is there (or something is blocking the connection). Here are your three options:

1. Insert the headset jack harder. Most folks find that this solves their problem. If you can see ANY of the silver of the plug when it is inserted, it is NOT fully inserted. You should feel and hear a click" when it is fully inserted.
2. Clean out the crud in the headset port. If you have tried #1 and it just won't insert all the way, it is likely that you have crud in your headset jack. Shine a light in there. The entire inside of the jack is white, so if it looks dark down at the bottom, there is probably crud down there. You can try blowing it out or using canned air. Just understand that shoving anything else in there to clean it out will be taking your warranty into your own hands! However, I have cleaned mine out using whatever was handy and small enough to fit in there and so far so good. Your results may vary!
3. Take it to the Apple store. If you have really tried with 1 and 2 and it is still happening, then there might just be something up with your headset port or your headset jack. If it is the headset jack, you can look closely at that and be pretty sure if that is the problem. Try another headset to make sure. If you have worked all the way through to this point and it is still happening, it is time to take it to the Apple store.

i

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16274492#16274492

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.