Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
My fiance was using my computer the other day and forgot to log off. I created her account, so it wasn't a problem to log in and log her out (plus she said it was ok), but I was wondering if there is a way for the admin to log out other users from the admin account. I was looking around, and all I can find is information on how to kill processes. Any thoughts?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I know that if you try to restart or shut down while other users are logged in, Mac OS X will ask for administrator permission to log out everyone in order to do so. I don't know of any way to do this without restarting or shutting down though.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Yeah - the problem was I noticed I was running a little slower than normal and when I figured out the problem, I didn't have time to reboot. So, I guess my only option is to stay permanently aware of all the passwords for all users on my computer?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
...or just tell them to log out when they're done, and maybe turn off Fast User Switching so that when someone forgets, you can just log out and log in.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
LeeTom said:
...or just tell them to log out when they're done, and maybe turn off Fast User Switching so that when someone forgets, you can just log out and log in.
Having them do it would be ideal. And logging out and in is too much work:). I am just curious though - is there a reason an Admin can't do what I'm trying to do?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
nbs2 said:
Having them do it would be ideal. And logging out and in is too much work:). I am just curious though - is there a reason an Admin can't do what I'm trying to do?
An administrator SHOULD be able to do this. There isn't any graphical user interface for it or command(s) to type in the Terminal that I know about. Now you've got me curious too.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Easy, it won't save anything, but this works.

1. In the Terminal
2. ps -aucx grep mac7
3. Find 'loginwindow' associated with the user you want to logoff
4. Get the PID of that 'oginwindow'
5. sudo kill -9 <PID>

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Oh, if you want graphical (yuk), you can open the Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities. Make sure you are showing 'All Processes' and find the 'loginwindow' that goes with the user you want to quit. Select it and go to 'Quit Process' up above. You may need to enter your password.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
grapes911 said:
Oh, if you want graphical (yuk), you can open the Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities. Make sure you are showing 'All Processes' and find the 'loginwindow' that goes with the user you want to quit. Select it and go to 'Quit Process' up above. You may need to enter your password.
Brilliant! Now only if there was a more intuitive method (not that I'm complaining about your suggestion).

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
nbs2 said:
Brilliant! Now only if there was a more intuitive method (not that I'm complaining about your suggestion).

I read your reply and I started laughing hysterically. :D I know what you mean. Its not the easiest, nicest, most elegant way do to it, but its all I know (and it works)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
nbs2 said:

Your lady's login -> System Preferences -> Security -> Log out after X minutes of inactivity.

I have no idea if this is a global change, or relegated to the user (and I'm too lazy to test), plus I don't know if it will function if you're already FUS'd to the login screen. But it's worth a shot.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
yellow said:
Your lady's login -> System Preferences -> Security -> Log out after X minutes of inactivity.

I have no idea if this is a global change, or relegated to the user (and I'm too lazy to test), plus I don't know if it will function if you're already FUS'd to the login screen. But it's worth a shot.
That setting affects all users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.