Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallaceb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
First time Iphone owner here...

I assume that sound should be coming out of both speakers on both sides of the 30-pin connector? I played a video and music, covered one speaker, and no sound came out of the other... I assume this isn't good?

UniPro

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
First time Iphone owner here...

I assume that sound should be coming out of both speakers on both sides of the 30-pin connector? I played a video and music, covered one speaker, and no sound came out of the other... I assume this isn't good?

There's only one speaker, the other grill is your mic. No problem with your iPhone.

See here.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wow I'm surprised this is the first time I'm seeing somebody report this "problem" with the 4S. It's almost been a week! :D

I thought there was a sticky for this before. I don't see it anymore.

UniPro

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Wow I'm surprised this is the first time I'm seeing somebody report this "problem" with the 4S. It's almost been a week! :D

I thought there was a sticky for this before. I don't see it anymore.

Yeah I was trying to find the sticky myself, they must of thought that no one would ask this anymore. LOL.

gander2

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
iPhone 4S speakerphone locks on

Hello all,

I have had this happen over and over since buying my iPhone 4S less than two weeks ago. Good thing I have 30 days to return the unit. This happened just this morning, but it is typical of what has been happening. My Plantronics bluetooth earbud is connected to my phone and I made a call. When the call process starts I hear two tones in the earbud, then the dial tone and the call succeeds. I hang up and try to make another call. The tones are not heard in the earbud and I see the call is connected. Then the call sounds through the speakerphone very loudly. Sometimes the speaker won't silence, even when I press to select other sources. Other times I select iPhone as a source, for example, and the person on the other end of the call can't hear me at all - same as if I try to select my bluetooth earbud in that situation. Even after I restart it can happen. Apple advised me to do a hardware reset on the phone; I did that and that same day it did it again. I called again about it and they say for me to do a clean reset of the phone through iTunes. This will wipe out everything on the phone, which isn't a huge deal since supposedly I can just restore everything through iCloud. But it seems that AppleCare has no record of that happening - or at least they don't know what to do about it.

I'll return the phone if this doesn't get resolved, but I would rather not - I really like it other than this. Unfortunately it's not cool when the speakerphone is blaring at work when I would rather not advertise I'm making a call.

Any thoughts on this? I have had many other issues with this phone, but they belong in a different post.

Thanks,

Gary

thecomplainer

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Gary - I am having the EXACT same issue. Such a pain!!!
I've had the phone and headset for exactly a day, and it isn't working. The weird thing is that when I first set it up, it worked just fine. Now, it's just making me angry.

Laura

Hello all,

I have had this happen over and over since buying my iPhone 4S less than two weeks ago. Good thing I have 30 days to return the unit. This happened just this morning, but it is typical of what has been happening. My Plantronics bluetooth earbud is connected to my phone and I made a call. When the call process starts I hear two tones in the earbud, then the dial tone and the call succeeds. I hang up and try to make another call. The tones are not heard in the earbud and I see the call is connected. Then the call sounds through the speakerphone very loudly. Sometimes the speaker won't silence, even when I press to select other sources. Other times I select iPhone as a source, for example, and the person on the other end of the call can't hear me at all - same as if I try to select my bluetooth earbud in that situation. Even after I restart it can happen. Apple advised me to do a hardware reset on the phone; I did that and that same day it did it again. I called again about it and they say for me to do a clean reset of the phone through iTunes. This will wipe out everything on the phone, which isn't a huge deal since supposedly I can just restore everything through iCloud. But it seems that AppleCare has no record of that happening - or at least they don't know what to do about it.

I'll return the phone if this doesn't get resolved, but I would rather not - I really like it other than this. Unfortunately it's not cool when the speakerphone is blaring at work when I would rather not advertise I'm making a call.

Any thoughts on this? I have had many other issues with this phone, but they belong in a different post.

Thanks,

Gary

Kaitch

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
iPhone 4S source stuck on speaker

Same issue with 4S & Jawbone Icon. Gets stuck on Speaker source, can't switch to phone or Bluetooth, sound only sometimes comes out.

Have to power cycle to make next call. Any solutions that work??

Kent

Gary - I am having the EXACT same issue. Such a pain!!!
I've had the phone and headset for exactly a day, and it isn't working. The weird thing is that when I first set it up, it worked just fine. Now, it's just making me angry.

Laura

bithacker

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
I been looking for others with this issue. I have the exact problem where the iPhone shows connected to my vehicles bluetooth or my earbud, but upon calling seems to switch to the speakerphone. I can't hear anything though, and the other person doesn't hear me either. Toggling airplane mode or rebooting seems to fix it at least for a little bit.

Hopefully a solution for this is found, guess in the interim, I will reset the phone and see how I fare.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
There's only one speaker, the other grill is your mic. No problem with your iPhone.

See here.

So glad someone asked the question. I, too, thought something was wrong with the speakers on my new 4S. Thanks for taking one for the team. :D

gtoddh

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
I'm having this same issue. Phone gets stuck on speakerphone and I can't turn it off. Person on other end can't hear me talking. Only way to resolve is to power cycle the phone. My phone does connect to the bluetooth in my Acura TL. I wonder if the issue is the phone app on the phone or the bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.