Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
I'm going to get another apple tv. I'm wondering, anyone have any issues with streaming to two apple tv's at the same time from the same itunes? Even with both being 720p? I have one with Ethernet (the whole way, mini to router to apple tv). The second will be wifi. Anyone else run two from the same computer/itunes account? Any slowdown or picture problems?

ykhehra1

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Can I also run more then one apple tv with single itunes account at different locations with seperate IP address?

Last edited:

ykhehra1

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I don't see why not. We take one with us on trips for Netflix and never have issues.

You mean different apple tv can also connected with same itunes account at different places/IP at same time! as netflix

Music8Guyz

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Midwest
You mean different apple tv can also connected with same itunes account at different places/IP at same time! as netflix

The physical placement of units doesn't matter. You could have one in New York and one in Hawaii connected to the same iTunes account. Each should be able to stream tv shows from apple that you've purchased, and can both stream from a local iTunes computer. So both of them would not connect to your iTunes at home, but whatever computer you have connected to the same network as each individual appleTV

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Home Sharing wouldn't work - as it requires all sharing devices to be on the same local network, but anything else would work fine.

There are ways to extend your local network through a VPN or the like, but it probably really isn't worth it considering the bandwidth issues.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
No, sadly, Home Sharing doesn't work across a VPN or even across different subnets to the best of my knowledge. I did try both just experimenting a little... It's either a port that isn't forwarded or some kind of broadcast that doesn't carry across those connections.

Still, as long as you have some kind of computer with you on the same network, it should work fine. Now, playing to both at the same time could be a little tricky, depending on the computer. Still, it buffers the show/movie to the ATV, so unless you start both within a minute of each other, that shouldn't be a problem either.

I'm looking at getting a second one myself in the next few months, so I certainly hope all this works like they say it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.