Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
They claimed 18 hrs when it can reach 24+ hr
and the warranty is that they won't replace the battery if after 1 year it still works at 80% of its claimed battery life.
-which is 14.4hrs, but 80% of 24+ is 19.2hrs
-so if it drops more but still over 14.4 hrs, we are screw.

We might be happy because we got more than what they claimed.
However, they are not keeping up with the competitors. They are not honest.

1st: over claimed on iBook's 6 hrs.
2nd: underclaimed the iPod mini.

I felt like they will started underclaiming the new books and iPods

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
ipod mini is cool , does the job and last for more then i need - so i don't care if it last 4 days i will still never need to use it for that long in one sitting .

iBook - i use mine all day every day and i tend to get 4+ hours out of it but i also charge my ipod shuffle with it , BUT i have had 6 ish hours out of it once when run with reduced screen (lowest) no airport and nothing open but safari with internet via ethernet.

sum up -- i'm more then happy with the batt life on both

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
1. As the owner of a 1G mini, which peaked at 9 hrs battery life, I just have to say,... on second thoughts I just say: lucky you... :D

2. I got 6 1/2 hours of battery life of my iBook when it was new, with screen turned down low, sound and airport off and not too many apps running simultaneously... now, almost a year and a half later I still get well over 5 hrs when I need it...

I don't feel very cheated... ;)

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
cmx08 said:
and the warranty is that they won't replace the battery if after 1 year it still works at 80% of its claimed battery life.

OK, I am really confused. First off where did you find a Mini that can run for 24 hours straight, I want to buy it just on principle. Also why complain. Even if you lose 30% of your battery you're still almost 1 hour better than what they claim in the first place.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
This thread is pretty pointless...

On your Mini:

Claim: 18 hours
Actual: 24 Hours
Claim (80%) 14.4 hours
Actual (80%) 19.2 hours

SO you want Apple to replace the battery life if it has 19.2 hours because it is not 14.4 hours?

"Uh, Apple?"
"Apple Customer Service Speaking"
"I need to replace my iPod mini's battery..."
"How much battery life is left?"
"Well..."
"...because it needs to be at 80% of the 18 hours-"
"-It is 80% of the 24 hours"
"So thats about 19 hours left?"
"Yep..."
*phone hung up by Apple rep.*

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
come one even at 80% you are getting more than what they advertised, i wouldnt be complaining at all, if you are getting better performace its always a good thing, dont complain

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
PlaceofDis said:
come one even at 80% you are getting more than what they advertised, i wouldnt be complaining at all, if you are getting better performace its always a good thing, dont complain

Amen. As the owner of a year old 3G old school ipod that gets 4.5-5 hours of battery life, I'd be ecstatic with 18 hours. :eek:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i get 10 hours on my 2g and about 7 hours on my ibook, w00t w00t, (ipod has a better battery installed by me :), and the ibook has a brand spanking new ibook g4 battery in it)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
PowerBook can hit 5:30 at a max but I have had no issues lasting 5 hours day in and day out. Actually 5:04 to 5:18 ;).

iPod-- so this 'claim' to 24 hours of battery life is something that you aren't hitting. Uh, Apple says they can hit 18 hours (safe bet maybe, learned after the 3G iPod fiasco?) and you are complaining they can't go above and beyond their specs.

Hey! I'm cheated! I want a G5 in the PowerBook by next Tuesday! There is this features where if the G5 runs at half the clockspeed it is really really cool! Why don't I have that, Apple?!?

~sigh~ :rolleyes:

FYA

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
no pudding for you!!!

cmx08 said:

what can you say?!

stay away from caffeine mate!

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
cmx08 said:

Thanks for whining. We really need that. If you are unhappy, sell it; I'm sure many many folks would be willing to take it off your hands.

ASZ993

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2005
cmx08 said:

You were not cheated
. 24 hours is the "play and go" figure. 18 hours is if you use the Click Wheel a lot. Just remember that the more you use the Click Wheel, the less battery life you have!

ASZ993

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2005
rosalindavenue said:
Amen. As the owner of a year old 3G old school ipod that gets 4.5-5 hours of battery life, I'd be ecstatic with 18 hours. :eek:

Is it still under warranty? If so, you can get a replacement iPod

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
ASZ993 said:

You were not cheated
. 24 hours is the "play and go" figure. 18 hours is if you use the Click Wheel a lot. Just remember that the more you use the Click Wheel, the less battery life you have!

Where, where, where does "Apple" claim 24 hours anywhere. I can not find it.. I am not saying they don't, I just can't find it.. I want to see it in print... Tech specs claim "Up to 18 hours"... Front page claims "And with up to 18 hours of battery life, it’ll outlast the latest trend."... Nowhere can I find 24... I searched apple.com for "Play and Go" and got nada back... Please show me a link!

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Shouldn't it be about the music...?

Seems to be a lot of folk out there becoming very anal about their battery life.

I've no idea what length charge out of mine, only that it runs for as long as I'm ever likely to need it in one go.

Don't get me wrong, if it were running out after an hour, I'd be upset, but I'm really not bothered if it runs for 18 or 24 hours on a full charge. I don't even know if mine has even HAD a full charge yet.

Here's the routine: Listen to music (lots of), when the thing goes flat or runs down, charge it....listen to lots more music. Easy. It ain't gonna run out tomorrow!!!!

People should spend more time enjoying the ipod.

And anyone who is planning to listen to the thing for 24, or even 18 hours, needs to step out into the world & try talking to actual, real people! :) :) :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
now i've seen someone bitch about everything :)

i'm going to go shock myself from the mains to distract myself...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
watcher2001 said:
Where, where, where does "Apple" claim 24 hours anywhere. I can not find it.. I am not saying they don't, I just can't find it.. I want to see it in print... Tech specs claim "Up to 18 hours"... Front page claims "And with up to 18 hours of battery life, it’ll outlast the latest trend."... Nowhere can I find 24... I searched apple.com for "Play and Go" and got nada back... Please show me a link!

It doesn't "say" it anywhere.

Just like the 4G iPods can last 13-14 hours even though Apple only claims 12 hours.

If you leave your iPod running and don't start and stop it, don't skip songs, only use 128kbps mp3 or AAC files, and keep the volume at half level, it should last over 18 hours of consecutive play. That's what is being said. While 24 hours seems excessive, I think Apple is finally giving users decent battery life (except on the 15" Powerbook, which is absolutely ridiculous).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abstract said:
It doesn't "say" it anywhere.

Just like the 4G iPods can last 13-14 hours even though Apple only claims 12 hours.

If you leave your iPod running and don't start and stop it, don't skip songs, only use 128kbps mp3 or AAC files, and keep the volume at half level, it should last over 18 hours of consecutive play. That's what is being said. While 24 hours seems excessive, I think Apple is finally giving users decent battery life (except on the 15" Powerbook, which is absolutely ridiculous).

Amen, some just want everything.

I applaud Apple for finding an honest way of limiting their warranty costs.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The iPodlounge review mentions that the battery life exceeds Apple's rating. But that's a good thing...

Either way, as others have mention battery life depends on how you use it. In most tests they simply let it play without manipulating the player (since that would likely introduce variability in the testing.)

If you really see this as a negative, then you must have nothing to look forward to in life as the glass is always half full...

Wonderfully, subsequent iPods have become so much better in this regard that it's almost not worth testing Apple's official estimates - except to see by how much an iPod outperforms them. The fourth-generation iPod, iPod photo, and iPod shuffle all outdistanced Apple's numbers by a comfortable margin, and each was designed to exceed the iPod mini's battery life. Now Apple promises that the iPod mini will go for 18 hours before requiring a recharge, and again, the company's estimate has proved conservative. Our second-generation iPod mini ran continuously for 26 hours and 20 minutes on randomized playback without the use of equalizers and with only mild use of the backlit screen, a favorable testing environment, but one under which the first-generation iPod mini ran for around 8 hours. In other words, the new mini exceeds its promised performance by the old mini's total battery life. This was a thrilling result, and in our view the single best addition to the new iPod mini from an average user's standpoint.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I've gotta say this was hillarious, someone is actually complaining about their iPod working better than they thought it would when they bought it. Hillarious!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.