Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
So I wasn't aware if people already knew that you can give contacts any nickname you want on Siri. It's really easy to do, just go to contacts, select the contact you want to give the nickname to, edit, add field, nickname and you're done. From now on, you can refer to this person as either their nickname or their actual name and Siri will register it as that contact, exactly like how "mother" "brother" etc work, except it can be any word you want. (I call my girlfriend Beans, for example.)

Trying to give people nicknames within Siri (telling it X is my Y) limits it to family names and relationships, and won't allow you to give personalized names.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
doesn't work!

i can call my dad batman for example ..

but if i set my mother in law to mother in law - it wouldn't of called.

Last edited:

AML225

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Under their address book card, go into edit mode and add a new field, there is one called nicknames. Siri can use that. I have a friend named Matt that we call "Moose" and I've been using it with Siri just fine using this method.

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
It does work if you edit the contacts nickname in the contacts app exactly how AML225 and I said. It's kinda fun to give people nicknames on it.

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Can you have multiple nicknames?

In the contacts app, you can only give a person one nickname. Though, you can set a relationship name (like brother, father, etc) for a person and a nickname. I can call my girlfriend by saying either girlfriend, beans, or Brianna.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
This works! Great tip!

Siri was having a hard time recognizing the name of my company, so I used nicknames instead to make it simpler. Worked like a charm.

Captain America

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
So I wasn't aware if people already knew that you can give contacts any nickname you want on Siri. It's really easy to do, just go to contacts, select the contact you want to give the nickname to, edit, add field, nickname and you're done. From now on, you can refer to this person as either their nickname or their actual name and Siri will register it as that contact, exactly like how "mother" "brother" etc work, except it can be any word you want. (I call my girlfriend Beans, for example.)

Trying to give people nicknames within Siri (telling it X is my Y) limits it to family names and relationships, and won't allow you to give personalized names.

Stumbled upon this last night. Pretty sweet stuff.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
In the contacts app, you can only give a person one nickname. Though, you can set a relationship name (like brother, father, etc) for a person and a nickname. I can call my girlfriend by saying either girlfriend, beans, or Brianna.
I'm not going to tell you what I call her.

:D

jk

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
doesn't work!

i can call my dad batman for example ..

but if i set my mother in law to mother in law - it wouldn't of called.

Set it to "Motherinlaw" - works then. It sometimes does not like spaces or hyphens in the name, but strangely sometimes spaces are fine :confused:

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Set it to "Motherinlaw" - works then. It sometimes does not like spaces or hyphens in the name, but strangely sometimes spaces are fine :confused:

Can you get Siri to give someone the relationship mother in law? I know you can Stepfather.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
This is interesting but doesn't quite work how I expect/hope.

For instance, my wife's name is Tiffany. I put "Tiffers" in her nickname field, but it doesn't recognize it, probably because it's not a real word.

BUT, it does recognize names that are not common names in my address book, so I'm not sure why it doesn't correlate non-word nicknames like Tiffers like it does with names that it might not know as being real names.

That would be pretty cool to be able to "teach" it any nickname and be able to talk to it like that or add words to it's dictionary so you could say things like "Tiffers" in your dictation and it would know what you are talking about.

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
This is interesting but doesn't quite work how I expect/hope.

For instance, my wife's name is Tiffany. I put "Tiffers" in her nickname field, but it doesn't recognize it, probably because it's not a real word.

BUT, it does recognize names that are not common names in my address book, so I'm not sure why it doesn't correlate non-word nicknames like Tiffers like it does with names that it might not know as being real names.

That would be pretty cool to be able to "teach" it any nickname and be able to talk to it like that or add words to it's dictionary so you could say things like "Tiffers" in your dictation and it would know what you are talking about.

I assigned one of my friends the nickname "Tiffers" and I was able to get Siri to use that name no problem. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.PNG
    IMG_0124.PNG
    674.5 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0125.png
    IMG_0125.png
    700 KB · Views: 327

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
Strange, I just tried it again and now it's working. Maybe it has started learning the way I talk better or something. Not sure why it didn't work for me earlier. Thanks!

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

http://www.sirisource.com has a few articles on setting up Siri, etc.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Strange, I just tried it again and now it's working. Maybe it has started learning the way I talk better or something. Not sure why it didn't work for me earlier. Thanks!

Pretty sure iCloud maintains a database of personal info from your contacts to draw upon when you use Siri, and there might have been a delay uploading the new info to the cloud.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Voice Dial could recognize:

"H-Mobile", "W-mobile", "Work Cell", "Work mobile"

Siri cannot.

Its gets hung up on the "Mobile" or "Work" and disregards the rest.

Massa

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
So ... what if you had two brothers? Can Siri know the difference between them? Or can she only assign "brother" to one contact?

yukycg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
It asks you which one.

Siri didn't work the way I wanted. After added same nickname for two contacts, I have choices to pick, but it is very annoy that every time I "call my brother" it keep asking "do you want me to remember Person 1 is your brother?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.