Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Just called to complain about the 50-250k 3G data speeds everywhere in Idaho (they've been this way for a year now), and got a super-duper canned response of: it'll be fixed in the next 48 hours, and we'll call you back then. WHATEVER.

Anyhow, I got the code to dial and start the update process: ##873283#

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
And that does what considering the profile and prl would have updated when you activated your phone ?????? And your telling people to do this because of what ???? :rolleyes:

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just tried it. Didn't do jack.

bobouches

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Sprint network issea

Hi all,
Today nov 30, 11 I have problem with Sprint network all day. My iPhone shows EDGE connection tO network, so I called CS and been told to reset network and then dial ##873283#. I asked friend of mine who worked for Sprint and replayed to me - never do that until you want to lock your phone.
So sprint have an issue with 3G network, if you get frustrated find place with WiFi and wait till they fix this problem. Otherwise just wait.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hi all,
Today nov 30, 11 I have problem with Sprint network all day. My iPhone shows EDGE connection tO network, so I called CS and been told to reset network and then dial ##873283#. I asked friend of mine who worked for Sprint and replayed to me - never do that until you want to lock your phone.
So sprint have an issue with 3G network, if you get frustrated find place with WiFi and wait till they fix this problem. Otherwise just wait.

sprint doesn't have an EDGE network. they have 3g or 1x (the 'o' symbol on iPhones)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Hi all,

And what's is going to lock, exactly?

Reactions: unowen

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's extremely rare that a PRL update will improve network speeds. In most cases it's just a placebo that they try to give you to shut up anyone who complains and get them off the phone with customer service.

PRL = Preferred Roaming List. It's useful when you're outside of Sprint's home coverage and roaming on, say, Verizon. And it might also help your phone find additional pilot channels if Sprint's recently added new frequencies in your area, though it'll mostly figure that out on its own eventually. But an updated PRL will not overcome the inherent limitations of the network.

Don't get me wrong: it's a good idea to be up to date, because Sprint does rely quite a bit on roaming partner coverage and there might still be remnants of the old "affiliate" network IDs on Sprint's (now-)native network. But no PRL update is going to speed up Sprint's network, nor is it likely to be fixed through anything software-based on your phone. Only Sprint can fix their network, through backhaul investment and better use of spectrum on the network side of things.

Last edited:

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Hi all,

That's not true. I just ran that update and my phone is still unlocked.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
old thread, but i did that on my roomates phone.. and his went from .5 mb download to .9 mbps! almost doubled.. still slow but yeah. thanks.

unowen

macrumors newbie
And that does what considering the profile and prl would have updated when you activated your phone ?????? And your telling people to do this because of what ???? :rolleyes:

It isn't for everyone to do, and it isn't something which need be done often.

It is something which certain people - with specific types of issues can do in order to (possibly) overcome certain problems.

I was given this information about 2years ago, when my iPhone (4S) was having problems interacting with my Airrave.

In this situation, it did help.

It isn't going to damage your phone, but; it's something you should first ask your carrier if you should try.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It isn't for everyone to do, and it isn't something which need be done often.

It is something which certain people - with specific types of issues can do in order to (possibly) overcome certain problems.

I was given this information about 2years ago, when my iPhone (4S) was having problems interacting with my Airrave.

In this situation, it did help.

It isn't going to damage your phone, but; it's something you should first ask your carrier if you should try.
Uhm…three year old thread. ;)

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'll bump this crazy-old thread, as well.

A user just brought in their Sprint iPhone. Full bars. Yet, calls would fail. They updated their OS, reset network settings, and even called Sprint to make sure the phone was still activated.

Nothing worked, until I dialed ##873283#

The connection reset, and he could suddenly get on the network and make calls.

So no, even as of 2016 and iOS 9.3.1, PRL information and activation can still NOT be set up correctly.

Reactions: willmtaylor

ChronicMistress

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2018
Just called to complain about the 50-250k 3G data speeds everywhere in Idaho (they've been this way for a year now), and got a super-duper canned response of: it'll be fixed in the next 48 hours, and we'll call you back then. WHATEVER.

Anyhow, I got the code to dial and start the update process: ##873283#

Hello
I am a sales representative with an extension company of Sprint which shall remain unnamed, and I am actually familiar with that code. As far as I know, the ##873283# code is primarily used for PRL updates on iphones. ##25327# does a subscriber settings reset which will not delete any data from your phone and instead "reset" your service, as it does not cause you to lose your account or service, and it is also primarily used for iphones. There is one other code that I know about, and that is the ##72786# code also used for a subscriber settings reset but for any android phones instead. I use the reset to activate phones that have had some sort of change to the account after being activated or before the first activation. Usually though, if there is an issue that I am unfamiliar with or do not have the reach to on my end, I call our dealer customer service and they can update the account on their end, and I can refresh the device on mine, so if it still does not work, you may need to go into a store of your carrier to see what they can do or call customer service yourself.

Hope this was helpful

-A Sales Rep

ChronicMistress

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2018
Did you just really answer a post made 7 years ago? Wow
[doublepost=1529540694][/doublepost]
Did you just really answer a post made 7 years ago? Wow

Yes I did because I was actually looking for the difference between the ##25327# code and the other one. I figured it'd be helpful to a sales rep like me who was trying to find the difference between the codes.

-A sales representative

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Does ##UPDATE# and ##CLEAR# still apply to the new iPhones (8 and newer)? Have tried this on an XS many times, always says "starting service update" but would never get a "service update complete" message like it used to on old iPhone (7 and older).

And yes I am aware sometimes the Sprint PRL update servers are *actually down*, that wasn't a fun experience back then either...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Does ##UPDATE# and ##CLEAR# still apply to the new iPhones (8 and newer)? Have tried this on an XS many times, always says "starting service update" but would never get a "service update complete" message like it used to on old iPhone (7 and older).

And yes I am aware sometimes the Sprint PRL update servers are *actually down*, that wasn't a fun experience back then either...
Yes it still works, no it won't magically improve service.

All a PRL is, is a listing of connection priorities for your device to follow based on the strength of your signal.

For instance, the PRL might tell your phone "Connect to a weak Sprint tower signal before you connect to a stronger but roaming signal."

A PRL update then, is an update to that priority list. If the list hasn't changed then the update doesn't benefit you. Sometimes, the update even makes things worse.

In any case, it has long been a red herring. It's something for Sprint reps to offer a customer when they can't do anything else for them. It gets the customer off the phone. Of course it doesn't solve the problem, but that isn't the point. The real problem is the network and no CSR can fix that for you.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Why does Sprint still do this to be honest? Verizon, another CDMA provider just does everything based on the SIM card. There is no need to have it have to be manually updated or anything like that at all!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why does Sprint still do this to be honest? Verizon, another CDMA provider just does everything based on the SIM card. There is no need to have it have to be manually updated or anything like that at all!
They do it because of metrics.

They can't let you go without offering a 'solution' that gets you off the call as fast as possible, even if it doesn't work. And this is the 'solution' because you won't know if it works or not until you get off the call with them. Once you're off the call to try the 'solution' you can't affect their metrics - either way.

The real solution is fixing the network, but they are in no position to do that for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.