Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CdnMacJen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
So I'm sure some rule followers will be angry with me for posting here in the main forum and not in the Troubleshooting area, BUT my frustration level is increasing, and I know there are WAY more people viewing this part of the forum right now.

Here's my issue:

I finally received my new iPhone 4s today, just finished installing the microsim card, and wanted to restore from iTunes backup from my old 3G, so of course I was asked to connect to iTunes.

It doesn't matter which USB port I connect to, or whether I connect when iTunes is already open or not. I have even restarted my laptop. My MacBook (and iTunes) simply won't recognize my phone! It makes the happy sound of the battery connecting to the power source, but the evil "Connect to iTunes" screen just stares back at me.

The summary screen in iTunes doesn't come up (obviously), so that previously posted advice won't work. Other posters suggest trashing my iTunes icon, but I'm really nervous about the idea of trashing my iTunes icon....is that really safe? Did anyone else have this issue with your 4s?

Here's the original thread, in case you want to see suggestions that were made for other pre-4s users: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/715240/

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Trash your iTunes icon? Don't follow that non-advice.

The iPhone 4S does not need to be set up the first time with iTunes. You set it up right on the phone. Have you done that yet?

If not, unplug the phone, reboot it by holding down the home button and power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Do NOT plug it into your computer. If all goes well, you should be promoted thru setup with a series of on screen dialogs.

At the end, it will ask you if you want to set it up as a new phone or by using a restored backup. Choose the latter and follow the instructions. It will be THEN that you connect it to your computer.

CdnMacJen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
It was after I went through about 4 on screen prompts that it asked me to "choose to set up as a new iPhone or restore from a backup"...but I want my old contacts list from my iPhone 3G that is in iTunes, so I selected "restore from iTunes backup"...and then was taken to the evil "connect to Itunes" screen.

To heck with it, I've selected setting it up as a new iPhone.

And now there was no option to restore from iTunes....and when I just plugged it into my MacBook, iTunes still doesn't recognize my phone. :(

Anyone got a tried and tested solution? I want my old apps and contacts!

Last edited:

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I moved from a 4 to a 4s. I set up as a new phone and let the iOS do its thing. Once done, I had a generic home screen on the phone. Then I connected to iTunes, let it sync and back up. Finally, I clicked on the phone on the left panel in iTunes, chose Restore. It showed me a list of recent backups, including the one I did with the 4. I chose that one, it restored all my apps, contacts etc.

My suggestion would be to try it - only thing you have to lose is a little time. You can always reset the 4s again if it doesn't work out.

jet23jay

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
So I'm sure some rule followers will be angry with me for posting here in the main forum and not in the Troubleshooting area, BUT my frustration level is increasing, and I know there are WAY more people viewing this part of the forum right now.

Here's my issue:

I finally received my new iPhone 4s today, just finished installing the microsim card, and wanted to restore from iTunes backup from my old 3G, so of course I was asked to connect to iTunes.

It doesn't matter which USB port I connect to, or whether I connect when iTunes is already open or not. I have even restarted my laptop. My MacBook (and iTunes) simply won't recognize my phone! It makes the happy sound of the battery connecting to the power source, but the evil "Connect to iTunes" screen just stares back at me.

The summary screen in iTunes doesn't come up (obviously), so that previously posted advice won't work. Other posters suggest trashing my iTunes icon, but I'm really nervous about the idea of trashing my iTunes icon....is that really safe? Did anyone else have this issue with your 4s?

Here's the original thread, in case you want to see suggestions that were made for other pre-4s users: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/715240/

Make sure your iTune version is 10.5. I think it won't work on anything but 10.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.