Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
This is the only reason I sync my iPad daily at the moment.

I really hope apple will get iTunes in the cloud going for podcasts so that when I leave for work the latest episodes are right on my iPad...

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Sync over wifi seems to kill my router, but it is about 6 years old... It's just I'm spoiled with newsstand and my subscriptions there being ready for me despite my computer being asleep in my bag at night, I'd like podcasts to do the same thing.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I use Downcast to DL podcasts directly to my iPhone without using iTunes at all. Much nicer solution.

I've tried several of these podcasting apps and they all miss one huge feature that the iTunes method has: Progress syncing. Meaning if I listen to 45 minutes of Macbreak Weekly on my iPhone, then come home and sync (wifi automatically now so its even simpler), my Mac and iPad will both know I was 45 minutes in and pick up where I left off. That one missing feature, coupled with Siri being able to play my podcasts for me if they're in my iTunes library and synced, means these apps just don't work for me.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ah gotcha. That would be a nice feature. Maybe email the dev of Downcast and request that. They seem pretty responsive.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Ah gotcha. That would be a nice feature. Maybe email the dev of Downcast and request that. They seem pretty responsive.

I might just do that. Especially with the Docs in the Cloud stuff, having it sync subscribed podcasts and play times to iCloud would be dead simple and would make me an instant buyer.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
https://twitter.com/#!/downcastapp

After your post I started thinking how nice a feature that would be and found the Downcast dev Twitter feed. It looks like he is working on iCloud position sync for the next version. I'm not clear how or if that would sync position to a desktop, but it looks like it would work between two iOS5 devices.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
https://twitter.com/#!/downcastapp

After your post I started thinking how nice a feature that would be and found the Downcast dev Twitter feed. It looks like he is working on iCloud position sync for the next version. I'm not clear how or if that would sync position to a desktop, but it looks like it would work between two iOS5 devices.

Honestly, with Airplay, I rarely use my actual iTunes for podcasts anymore, so iOS only is fine with me

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I was really hoping for this to be implemented into iOS 5... I eventually just downloaded instacast and it works great for me since I only listen to podcasts on my iPhone anyways.... But I totally understand your need for icloud syncing across devices.... I'm sure these app developers will take full advantage of the cloud but I dont see how they can sync the position back to your Mac unless they release an OSX version of their app..... I dont think they have access to sync to itunes, or do they :confused:

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I used to use Downcast but there last version seems to be ridiculously sluggish. I reinstalled the app but still got lags in a lot of what I did.

I moved over to iCatcher and am quite happy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.