Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegerot

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
You can use the split keyboard on the iPad. Settings general keyboard spli(t). Then select through the keyboard arrow icon

Don't do it like that! It's a LOT easier AND cooler if you just put both of your thumbs in the middle of the screen, then slide them to the side! Check it out, it's pretty cool!

Vegerot

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
OMG, probably my favorite feature by far!

Just like in Lion, you can slide four/five fingers UP to view MISSION CONTROL :)eek:). Slide four/five fingers from side-to-side to slide between apps. And "pinch" with five fingers to go to your home screen (aka LAUNCHPAD!).

So pretty much now, for all of us nerds who can't manage to push down the home screen button, there are NO LONGER ANY BUTTONS that you need to press!!!!! EVER!!!! :eek:

Also, put your thumbs on the keyboard and then "pull" them across the screen (see the iOS5 introduction video on Apple.com) and the keyboard splits in two! 0_o

I've only used it for about 15 minuets and total so far, so I'll tell you if I find anything else new.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Not sure if this was posted yet.

Settings > General > Accessibility to enable LED notifications. Only works when your phone is on silent mode.

Rubo Draco

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
OMG, probably my favorite feature by far!

Just like in Lion, you can slide four/five fingers UP to view MISSION CONTROL :)eek:). Slide four/five fingers from side-to-side to slide between apps. And "pinch" with five fingers to go to your home screen (aka LAUNCHPAD!).

Also, put your thumbs on the keyboard and then "pull" them across the screen (see the iOS5 introduction video on Apple.com) and the keyboard splits in two! 0_o

I've only used it for about 15 minuets and total so far, so I'll tell you if I find anything else new.

I'm glad you are as exited as I am with the Multitasking gestures, but this thread is for undocumented features... And you even mentioned:
(see the iOS5 introduction video on Apple.com)
so those features are pretty much documented!

gazter

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
ios5

not sure if it is documented, but excellent new feature within the ical app. If you put a telephone number in the 'location' bar in an appointment it is now blue and clickable to allow direct dial. No more copy and pasting...

lilpete

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Australia
not exactly a feature, but I have noticed one less inconvenience in ios 5. every night I charge my iphone on a speaker dock, and it has always come up with an annoying little message that says 'this device is not optimized for charging the iphone blah blah blah DISMISS' (even though it charged it anyway).

Since ios 5 there haven't been any annoying popups concerning this, even on much older speaker docks :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you go in Safari and go to the Google bar, it will also allow you to search the page.
This was actually introduced back in iOS 4.2 or so I believe--still a pretty good feature to finally have.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
I like how you can pull down the key board now in text app instead of needing to exit and go back in to hide it.

yea love this feature. I know it was mentioned but I just discovered that if you swipe to the right when in the camera app you can view your previous pics.

I remember when iOS 5 was introduced I didn't find it to be much of an upgrade other than notification center. I thought iOS 4 was a bigger upgrade at the time. Now after using it for about a week I disagree. iOS 5 is a pretty huge upgrade. A lot of new features big and small, and a lot of new customizations and settings you couldn't see/do in any other iOS.

Rubo Draco

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
Music app on iPad

remember we used to tap on a song and automatically showed to you the album art in full screen?
it's not there anymore (not automatically)

if you play a song and tap on the tiny album art next to the music player, it'll show album art on fullscreen and you can swipe left/right to change between songs.

Attachments

• IMG_0093 copia.png
    IMG_0093 copia.png
    509.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
not exactly a feature, but I have noticed one less inconvenience in ios 5. every night I charge my iphone on a speaker dock, and it has always come up with an annoying little message that says 'this device is not optimized for charging the iphone blah blah blah DISMISS' (even though it charged it anyway).

Since ios 5 there haven't been any annoying popups concerning this, even on much older speaker docks :)

Oh thank the gods they got rid of that useless message!

My phone would always show it when I dock it on my JBL Soundstage, even though it works *perfectly* with it.

jatt559

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
iMessage to text message...

I was sending an iMessage to a friend... and while it was still sending, I wanted to copy it so I can send it to another friend. I noticed the option to send as text message.

Attachments

• photocopy.PNG
    photocopy.PNG
    179.8 KB · Views: 262

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Go to Settings>General>About. At the bottom, there is new option called Diagnostics and Usage. It stores all diagnostic info, and if you choose, sends it to apple

upnorth067

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Hey,

When you sync your music, do you have the 'manually manage music & videos' option checked under the Summary for your iPhone? I keep manually making changes to my music in iTunes but their not updated on the iPhone. It used to be when you made changes in iTunes they were automatically updated on the iPhone (with the Sync in Progress message).

I tried the uncheck and check Music tab option and it still didn't help.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

I experienced this also, along with a few songs that simply didn't play.

The solution for me was to plug in my iPhone, go to the Music section in iTunes and uncheck "Sync Music", then sync.

Once it's done, re-check Sync Music and sync again. Takes awhile, but solved my issues. All has been good since then.

Good luck.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I'd love to help...

but i don't know what IS and ISN'T documented to begin with :/

I can delete songs now, but only from the white background screen. :(

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I sync a playlist to my iPhone, and I was hoping that deleting them from the phone would remove them from the playlist, but it just adds them back when I sync next. Doesn't make much sense to me...

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I sync a playlist to my iPhone, and I was hoping that deleting them from the phone would remove them from the playlist, but it just adds them back when I sync next. Doesn't make much sense to me...

If you want the song off your iPhone I think you would need to delete it from the playlist on your iPhone.

chutch15

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

flashflooder said:

It gets added back because it's still in the playlist on your home machine.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

Rubo Draco

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
but i don't know what IS and ISN'T documented to begin with :/

I can delete songs now, but only from the white background screen. :(

Anything you can read from Apple.com and anything you can learn from Apple's videos are "officially documented" features.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Calendar/Maps

I use my Outlook Calendar a ton and the Location box never populated with a hyperlink when looking at the event on the iPhone. If I copied the address to the Notes section of an event, it would be a hyperlink that jumped directly to Maps, but I'd forget to do that a lot. iOS 5 now has made the Location field a hyperlink so it will jump directly to Maps, as it always should have.

The numerous small improvements in iOS 5 make the user experience so much better. Very happy with it.

(Still don't understand why Apple refuses to put in a 'Snooze for 5,10,30,60 minutes' option for Calendar alerts)

And I don't want to steal the thunder away from this thread, but here are a big chunk of the features documented: http://techzoom.org/ios-5-complete-list-of-200-new-features/

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
That's badass. Thanks! Too bad you can't share Reminder lists from the phone itself.

You can. My wife and I share an iTunes/iCloud account. Yesterday, she set a reminder from her iPhone 4 (while at home) and set it to alarm when "leaving: work". Because we share the account, this reminder was sync'd to my phone 4S. When I left work, it alarmed on my 4S.

Honeydo lists in the 21st century.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.