Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bufo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
So my wife and I were playing around with ios 5 and it seems like there's a way to bypass the lockscreen. This is what we did:

1. Lock screen
2. double tap home button
3. tap camera button
4. tap gallery button on bottom left
5. tap home button

After doing that we get to the icon screen. Is anyone else seeing this??

vebs

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Leicester, UK
So my wife and I were playing around with ios 5 and it seems like there's a way to bypass the lockscreen. This is what we did:

1. Lock screen
2. double tap home button
3. tap camera button
4. tap gallery button on bottom left
5. tap home button

After doing that we get to the icon screen. Is anyone else seeing this??

Yep, does it for me too.

Good find btw.

bufo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
So I'm not the only one... Wow, this is a serious bug. How do we let apple know?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
No problem here. I have a code on mine and tried it. Takes me back to the lockscreen and asks for code..

bufo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
ohh... lol i think it's because our autolock is set to 1 minute

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Emailed Tim Cook

Hey everyone. I saw this on my phone and googled to see if others were experiencing the same issue thus I found this thread.

So I emailed it to tim cook. At first it seemed a pretty big flaw - more on this in a bit.

Anyway so I got a phone call today from a representative from apple. However I don't have good signal and the guy left a voicemail. Basically to ask me a few questions about how I had my passcode set up etc. He also left a freephone number but said it would only work from a landline.

After playing around more it does seem to only let you in if you have it set to ask for a passcode after a period of time as opposed to immediately asking for the pass code which isn't so bad.

The thing that throws me is it won't show you your photos because it's so called locked, but you can press the home button and gain access to the whole device.

Feel a bit silly. Motto do your homework before complaining, but still nice to receive a call from apple.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Another Reply

In reply to my email to Tim Cook I sent this over explaining its a bit odd to have this screen when I have no passcode sent. As on this screen I can press the home screen and access the whole phone.
IMG_1219.PNG

Just received this in reply.
Will let you know more when I get another reply.

"Hi Ed,

Thanks for your email, the screenshot of which I will have reviewed. I will contact you back with the results, but would kindly ask you to allow for some time.

Have a lovely afternoon,

Christiane Bogdoll
Apple Executive Relations EMEIA

Apple Sales International
Hollyhill Industrial Estate
Cork, Ireland"

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Nope, works correctly on mine. WHILE LOCKED, hit the home button 2x, hit camera button, click on gallery on bottom left, goes right to the "your phone is locked" message. Hitting home button from there goes right to the passcode entry screen.

Not sure whats wrong with yours. Try a restore.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
So you have a passcode set? If so re read my post above.

Yeah, we put passcodes on our phones for many reasons. Wife is a teacher and we don't want those little heathens getting into her personal info. Me, I don't trust anyone. lol
But yes, I get the same thing as in your picture. But since you don't have a passcode sent, its rather strange you get that. Oh well, its a new OS so I'm sure there's bound to be bugs in many corners.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Ha yeah sometimes I wish there was a way to put passcodes just on certain apps etc such as settings, mail, sms, facebook etc but allow anyone to go on games etc and other apps

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Ha yeah sometimes I wish there was a way to put passcodes just on certain apps etc such as settings, mail, sms, facebook etc but allow anyone to go on games etc and other apps

never even thought about this. would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.