Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i3iMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Thought I'd share how I did this since I'm new to iPhones, iCloud.
I found other tutorials that involved iTunes and such but I didn't want the hassle.

Requirements are Gmail Account and a valid iCloud account (Apple ID)

1. Go to your Google Contacts

2. Click the More menu > Export

3. Choose the group or all of your contacts you wish to export, whichever you prefer.

4. Choose vCard format and click the Export button.

5. You will now have a contacts.vcf which has been downloaded to your computer. Put it on your desktop if you prefer.

6. Rename contacts.vcf to yournamehere.vcf (example: stephan.vcf)

7. Log in to iCloud. http://www.icloud.com

8. Click Contacts
Important Note: Make sure there are no contacts listed here before importing or this may not work. The page needs to be blank.

9. Drag the .vcf file into the window under All Contacts.
The page will highlight with a blue rectangle when you drag the .vcf onto it. Wait a little bit. (It took about 8 seconds for mine to import. I only have 136 contacts though.)

On your iPhone, go to Settings > iCloud and make sure Contacts is listed as ON.

The only issue I had with this was the pictures of my contacts did not port over. Not a big deal I guess for how easy it was. Let me know if this helped.

londonhomicide

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Not working for me

When I drag my renamed .vcf into Contacts in iCloud, nothing happens. I've waited patiently but I'm not getting any response.

Any ideas?

neil4

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
me too ...
mmhhhhhh, too simple :(

maybe the browser or icloud ...

any ideas ??

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
I'm going to try to export from google to a .vcf file, then import it into Address Book (if you have Lion installed & up to date). Then go into Preferences and sync with iCloud.

I have to run a software update to see if it gives me the option to sync with iCloud since the option is currently MobileMe which I'm pretty sure they got rid of. I currently have a 836Mb update waiting to be installed, so I will install that and get back to you...anyone that wants to try to see if that works, I believe it should.

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
OK, so yeah -

Assuming you are running Mac OSX Lion, already have iCloud set up, and are already syncing Google contacts at least on your iPhone (possibly Address Book on your computer as well)

Backup your contacts. (Just export all of your Google contacts to a vcard file). If your Google contacts aren't synced with Address Book already, either set up Google Syncing by adding that account or import the Google contact vcard file you just exported to Address book.

In Address Book, go to Preferences, add an iCloud account by clicking the + button. Enter your iCloud account, and then say OK that address book won't sync with Google (because your iPhone will sync to both anyway). Then you're done! All of your Address Book's contacts will be sent to the cloud and should now show up on your phone in "iCloud", your Google account, and "All Contacts".

Try to edit a contact in "All contacts" on your iPhone and it gives you the notification that "this will edit the matching value on 2 linked accounts". ;)

Hope this helps

-Mike

DaveCondie

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
I found an easier method which you can do with your device and iTunes.

If you're simply trying to merge your phone contacts/ iCloud contacts / and Google contacts:

#1) Plug in your device, find it in iTunes, select the Info tab.

#2) Check Sync Contacts with Google Contacts. Enter account info and then sync your device. This will add an extra category in your Contacts on your device. Mine called it 'On My PC'.

#3) Check to make sure your device has accepted all of your Google Contacts by going to contacts and looking in each new group.

#4) Go back to iTunes and uncheck Sync Contacts. iTunes will ask you if you want to leave associated contacts on phone, select 'Leave contacts on device'.

#5) Go to Settings on your device and select 'iCloud'. All items should be ON, turn contacts OFF. Your phone will ask you if you want to leave all contacts on your phone. Leave them on your phone.

#6) Turn contacts back ON and your device will then ask you if you want to merge all contacts to iCloud, hit Merge.

You're done. I've done it for 3 devices now. It's a painless easy process, no importing/exporting CSV/vcf formatting involved.

Let me know if this worked for you! I hope this helps!

raranson

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Worked!

Thought I'd share how I did this since I'm new to iPhones, iCloud.
I found other tutorials that involved iTunes and such but I didn't want the hassle.

Requirements are Gmail Account and a valid iCloud account (Apple ID)

1. Go to your Google Contacts

2. Click the More menu > Export

3. Choose the group or all of your contacts you wish to export, whichever you prefer.

4. Choose vCard format and click the Export button.

5. You will now have a contacts.vcf which has been downloaded to your computer. Put it on your desktop if you prefer.

6. Rename contacts.vcf to yournamehere.vcf (example: stephan.vcf)

7. Log in to iCloud. http://www.icloud.com

8. Click Contacts
Important Note: Make sure there are no contacts listed here before importing or this may not work. The page needs to be blank.

9. Drag the .vcf file into the window under All Contacts.
The page will highlight with a blue rectangle when you drag the .vcf onto it. Wait a little bit. (It took about 8 seconds for mine to import. I only have 136 contacts though.)

On your iPhone, go to Settings > iCloud and make sure Contacts is listed as ON.

The only issue I had with this was the pictures of my contacts did not port over. Not a big deal I guess for how easy it was. Let me know if this helped.

Worked fine with Firefox 8, Windows 7 machine, 1100 Google contacts - Thank you! Rick.

live2bnana

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Works great

I tried several other ways and it did not work. I read through some of the post dating back over a year ago that it didn't work. BUT with my new 2012 macbook pro it was VERY simple. As soon as I saved card from export from google the iCloud on my macbook pro recognize it and ask if I wanted to import it. THANK YOU !!! :D

lucidme

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
Awesome

Thanks so much, I do tech support for a living and this was very helpful. Worked perfectly. Out of my scope though, so really glad to find some info that actually works on it.

Chuckles8417

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
Careful!

Be very careful when exporting Google contacts as Google likes to store every, single, email, address, incoming... or outgoing! Oh yeah along with your phone contacts from an Android device.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Be very careful when exporting Google contacts as Google likes to store every, single, email, address, incoming... or outgoing! Oh yeah along with your phone contacts from an Android device.
So does every other company out there. Its nothing new!

joshuarenae

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
HOW TO ACTUALLY SYNC YOUR CONTACTS IN 5 SECONDS! c:

Use Outlook.

This is the only thing I've found that has worked. I've been trying for years... took me literally less than 5 seconds!

1. Open iCloud and select Contacts on the lefthand navigation bar. Right click on the "Contacts" group you want in iCloud. Select "Copy Folder."

2. A dialog box will pop up. Scroll down and find the iCloud folder.

3. Select where it says contacts and hit ok!

Immediate success of all my contacts on my iPhone, iPad and iCloud.com!!! Yay!!!

Sync+iCloud+contacts.png

^^^ This is where you select contacts in the navigation bar from step 1. Forgot to highlight.

If you don't have Outlook, try with Mozilla Thunderbird or other free email client. Works about the same.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i have an iphone 4s with all my contacts on yahoo account. i tried to backup into icloud all the contacts and after, when i go to "contacts" app and select "group" and check only icloud....no contacts appear...what i am doing wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.