Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazareth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I have a 3GS and ever since I updated to iOS5 I have had problems with performance in mail.app. It has generally been extremely slow but the main issue is that every 3rd or 4th launch, it tries to connect to my mailboxes (two exchange mailboxes - one for work and one gmail) and gets stuck at "Checking for mail...". I can leave it for 10 mins more and nothing changes. If I kill mail.app and restart, it is then able to connect fine.

Today I got a 4S and having restored from my 3GS' iCloud backup, I am having the same issue. Has anyone else come across this?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Happens sometimes. Force quit; should fix it. Be sure the network you're connecting to is active; this behavior can also occur if you have connected to but not authenticated to a network such as a hotel or airport network.

gazareth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Happens sometimes. Force quit; should fix it. Be sure the network you're connecting to is active; this behavior can also occur if you have connected to but not authenticated to a network such as a hotel or airport network.

It's happening more than "sometimes" and it's incredibly tedious to keep force quitting to download email. I'd say it happens every 3rd or 4th load of mail.app. It's also happening on my home wifi network.

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
having the exact same problem on my iPhone 4 after upgrading. Mail takes FOREVER to load and crashes often.

Also, just noticed my battery went from full when I work up to just about dead right now (2 hours later!). What a bunch of BS.

Plus my damn on/off button is broken so if the battery dies I can't turn the damn thing back on! Shouldn't have upgraded to IOS5 in my case....

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
If ActiveSync on the iPhone isn't happy (corrupted somehow, for example) it will cause mail app to spin, and definitely can drain the battery alarmingly quickly. Since they're ActiveSync accounts, have you tried simply deleting them, rebooting the phone, and then setting them back up? No mail will be lost, since it will all sync up again once re-established.

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
If ActiveSync on the iPhone isn't happy (corrupted somehow, for example) it will cause mail app to spin, and definitely can drain the battery alarmingly quickly. Since they're ActiveSync accounts, have you tried simply deleting them, rebooting the phone, and then setting them back up? No mail will be lost, since it will all sync up again once re-established.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately I cannot reboot my iPhone because the on/off button is no longer functioning. (thanks a lot Apple for denying my AppleCare claim even though the phone is in perfect condition! GFY Apple).

I'll be looking at Mr. Android for my next upgrade after the way Apple decided to not take care of a loyal customer (iPhone #3) who paid for Apple Care and this was the first time I ever tried to use it. They didn't give me a reasonable explanation for why they denied my warranty repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.