Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MK123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Hi all,

I am new to Macbook and I am trying to install Windows 7 on my macbook using Bootcamp. These are the steps I have taken:

1. Created a bootable Windows 7 Installation USB using "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool" (Using an ISO)
PS: I did the above using VMware Fusion
2. Partitioned using Boot Camp
3. Installed rEFIt

Now when I restart my mac and try to install Windows 7, I get a black screen with the following error:

Non-System Disk
Press any key to reboot.

At this point none of the keys respond.

Please HELP!!!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
If you're only planning on dual-booting, I don't know why you'd need rEFIt, so as a start, you could try uninstalling rEFIt and see if you can install Windows then; it could be the issue.

Could also be a problem with booting a Windows installer from a USB drive. Should theoretically work, but I've never tried it myself, and Boot Camp does actually do something to EFI to get it to recognize a Windows install disc. If, for example, you just partition the disk and try to install Windows without ever running the Boot Camp setup, it won't work.

MK123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
If you're only planning on dual-booting, I don't know why you'd need rEFIt, so as a start, you could try uninstalling rEFIt and see if you can install Windows then; it could be the issue.

Could also be a problem with booting a Windows installer from a USB drive. Should theoretically work, but I've never tried it myself, and Boot Camp does actually do something to EFI to get it to recognize a Windows install disc. If, for example, you just partition the disk and try to install Windows without ever running the Boot Camp setup, it won't work.

Hey Thank you for the reply.

I tried uninstalling rEFIt and still does not work.

I also tried Boot Camp to install Windows 7 but it does not recognize my USB as bootable.

I followed a tutorial on youtube which tells me to install it using rEFIt

link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmA-9apQ6kg

PS: I am using Macbook Pro

nienque

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Hey Thank you for the reply.

I tried uninstalling rEFIt and still does not work.

I also tried Boot Camp to install Windows 7 but it does not recognize my USB as bootable.

I followed a tutorial on youtube which tells me to install it using rEFIt

link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmA-9apQ6kg

PS: I am using Macbook Pro

Did you ever find a solution for this? Experiencing the same issue now and I've been googling for a solution to no avail :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.