Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brunning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
I have iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

iOS 5, iMessage on both, same iTunes account, same email addresses set for iMessage, same address set for Caller ID.

I've only tested with one chat so far, but incoming messages only go to my iPhone - is it because the new incoming iMessages are a reply to a formerly SMS message chat from my phone?

Can I get the messages to come to both places?

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
iMessage is probably setup for phone number and email address, if someone sends an iMessage to your phone number, it will only go to your phone. If they send it to the email address, it will go to both.

So yes, if someone replies to a previous SMS, the reply will only go to your phone.

brunning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
That makes sense.

I'm assuming then, that the initial Caller ID value (my phone number) sticks with the message thread started with, and doesn't change mid-stream with the individual message.

I changed the Caller ID on my phone in mid-conversation to my email address (which is associated with both devices), but the messages still came to my phone only.

I guess I'd have to test my deleting that whole thread and starting a new message with that person.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i've got a 4 and an ipad 2, sent a friend an imessage from the ipad, and from then on everything showed up on both.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
That makes sense.

I'm assuming then, that the initial Caller ID value (my phone number) sticks with the message thread started with, and doesn't change mid-stream with the individual message.

I changed the Caller ID on my phone in mid-conversation to my email address (which is associated with both devices), but the messages still came to my phone only.

I guess I'd have to test my deleting that whole thread and starting a new message with that person.

just start a new conversation thread, from the iPad, that will force it to send from your email not phone number. no need to delete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.