Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helixc0de

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Basically I recently upgraded from a iPhone 4 on AT&T to a iPhone 4s on AT&T. My dad has a nextel phone and would like to put his nextel sim card in my iPhone 4. Will this work if I turn the normal sim into a micro-sim by cutting the edge off. I really need help I don't want to screw his sim card up.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Basically I recently upgraded from a iPhone 4 on AT&T to a iPhone 4s on AT&T. My dad has a nextel phone and would like to put his nextel sim card in my iPhone 4. Will this work if I turn the normal sim into a micro-sim by cutting the edge off. I really need help I don't want to screw his sim card up.

nope it would not work, it will work ONLY if you bought the unlocked iPhone 4.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
nope it would not work, it will work ONLY if you bought the unlocked iPhone 4.

You can not use a Nextel SIM card in ANY GSM phone including the iPhone, as Nextel is not GSM. No matter how much unlocking you do to a phone, it just isn't possible. It is like trying to activate a Verizon plan on a GSM phone.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
You can not use a Nextel SIM card in ANY GSM phone including the iPhone, as Nextel is not GSM. No matter how much unlocking you do to a phone, it just isn't possible. It is like trying to activate a Verizon plan on a GSM phone.

Agreed - Nextel runs on iDEN, a Motorola-derived standard that uses GSM-like SIM cards, but is incompatible and (I think) operates on a different frequency, too (800MHz, instead of 850/1700/1900/2100/etc)

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=121

iDEN SIMs CAN be used in a GSM phone, but as far as Nextel goes, I've heard that they have so few roaming agreements as to make the exercise useless. You can't connect to the Nextel network using a Nextel SIM in a GSM phone. You'd have to roam on AT&T or similar, but there are no agreements there so it won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.