Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bespoken4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
If I have the phone up to my ear, the call is so quiet I can barely hear the person speaking.

Anyone else experiencing this?

bespoken4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
There's a plastic film covering the earpiece. Take it off and you'll be fine. My wife did the exact same thing with her iPhone 4.

LOL. Yes...the volume is all the way up, and there is no plastic.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I already exchanged the phone once and can't hear a darn thing even on the second one.

You're missing something then. It's either a volume issue, or plastic film. I've heard no one complain about call clarity issues with the 4S...

Ramsay2011

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
Dont know if this would make any difference but go into the settings and see if hearing aid mode is on . If it is try switching it off

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
This used to annoy me quite a bit.

But the fact of it is that it might not actually be due to your iPhone, it could be the other person's phone that has a quiet voice input.

The best way to gauge this matter based on my experience is to simply call your voice mail which usually has a pre-recorded message saying "Welcome to *Carrier* voice mail, please enter your password". If you find yourself having difficulty listening to the greeting message with the volume turned all the way up, then chances are it's your phone.

Hope this helps.

Bussta

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
There's a plastic film covering the earpiece. Take it off and you'll be fine. My wife did the exact same thing with her iPhone 4.

Thanks you have just saved me a phone call to O2, I was about to scream at the phone when I couldn't hear anyone, makes sense that the plastic is covering the ear piece! Doh!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
is it actually positioned right on your ear

Good question, and if that doesn't work I would like to revisit if the volume is all the way up. It may seem like a dumb question but some people might turn the volume up during music play or turned the ringer all the way up, but didn't turn the call volume up. OP make sure the volume is all the way up during a phone call. Make a call and look at the screen and hit the volume up button if you haven't already done this.

chjaku

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Can't hear the other person on my iphone4 but they can hear me

Just wanted to post that you are not the only one. Yesterday I was driving and went to use my phone and it did the exact same thing. Most blogs say to hold the screen down up by the speaker or push softly. Others say smack it and it works. I have tried reboot, I also completely wiped it clean. Not working still.:( They can hear me just fine. Volume is up, settings are good, bluetooth off etc. It is not the other person either. You can call a 100 people and it does the same thing now. Bummed

chjaku

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Can't hear the other person on my iphone4 but they can hear me

Ok so I took a needle poke the speaker just a bit, cleaned it and sucked really hard. It works. Not 100% but mostly 80% I will follow up again..Hope this helps.....:D

craigmb

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
However gross it sounds, my earpiece had an amazing amount of crap in it. My phone is nearly 3 years old and has been in my pockets, on bike rides, dirty jobs...etc. I guess it makes sense. I took a needle and carefully cleaned the big stuff, then blew compressed air (from the side) & finally put a small amount isopropyl alcohol on small eyeglass cleaning cloth & voila... I can hear again.

SP13

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2016
If I have the phone up to my ear, the call is so quiet I can barely hear the person speaking.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Ok I had the same issue with my 5c and tried everything! I then wondered if the little incoming microphone was dirty and guess what? It was. Take a rounded toothpick and gently clean out the crud ( for me it was make-up) and suddenly and miraculously I can hear very well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.