Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siddiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
For some reason, my iPad has become very unstable since upgrading to ios5. Just while surfing the web (Mac rumors forum), in the last 10 minutes, safari has shut down 5 times. Been doing a lot of that lately, regardless of which website I am on. Anyone else seeing this?

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Yes I've noticed Safari is more unstable since the update too. I have never had it crash on me before.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just asking... have you tried to power the iPad down and then reboot? That usually fixes wonky apps. If that doesn't work I'd try a restore. Safari should not be unstable unless you are going to poorly coded sites or bad java scripts.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Safari is definitely less stable for me since iOS5 on my iPad 1. But it is also noticably faster so I can live with the tradeoff. I'd say it crashes (closes) on average maybe once per hour of web browsing. Before iOS5 I would guess it was once per 100 hours. I have not changed which sites that I am browsing.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I soent an hour with a Genious yesterday for the very same problem.

iPad 1 + iOS 5 equals lots of sudden quits and crashes.

I have rebooted, restored, set up as new to no avail.

Here si what we did last night.

Put the iPad in DFU mode and erase all.

Set up iPad and restore from pre-iOS5 back up.

So far (12 hours) no crashes or quits for me, and that is a good stretch as it was quitting every 30 seconds before this.

The genious said some aspect of the firmware or underlying os must have become corrupted.

But that seems to be working for me. I will know more when I get home and can use it more.

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
My iPad 1 safari also crashes once an hour it seems.
And my iPad 2 has weird safari glitches too. Sometimes going from portrait to landscape, web pages stay in portait and there's that linen background on the right. I can't zoom in or anything.
Flipping it back and forth fixes it then there's a flashing line, like the web page is trying to render.
Closing safari and re-opening it leaves a black line across the page. It's annoying.

Chiisu

macrumors member
Same here

I've tried several things (full reboot, private browsing, etc) with only temporary improvements. Safari and web enriched apps ( Editions, Flipbook, etc) seem to crash frequently. I never experienced anything like this before the iOS 5 update.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
We still have 2 iPad 1's in the family. Rock-steady on iOS5 and no performance issues, so obviously something else is at play.

izajeenyus

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
For some reason, my iPad has become very unstable since upgrading to ios5. Just while surfing the web (Mac rumors forum), in the last 10 minutes, safari has shut down 5 times. Been doing a lot of that lately, regardless of which website I am on. Anyone else seeing this?

I had the same issues but EVERY app would crash within 30 seconds after launching. Restore from backup didn't work, so I did a full restore WITHOUT the backup (set up as new iPad). Its a pain, but everything SEEMS to be fine now... (crossed fingers)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.