Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sit it on a flat and level desk. Open up Word. Stare at it for three hours and then, whilst slowly taking off your shirt, start making moo noises. The moo attracts wolves, but you don't do it for long so it shouldn't matter. Now, with one finger outstretched, touch the middle of the bottom of the laptop. Scream out the first number that comes into your head, and this is how you find the MacBook temperature.

Or use CoreDuoTemp.

Reactions: aeg

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
mad jew said:
Sit it on a flat and level desk. Open up Word. Stare at it for three hours and then, whilst slowly taking off your shirt, start making moo noises. The moo attracts wolves, but you don't do it for long so it shouldn't matter. Now, with one finger outstretched, touch the middle of the bottom of the laptop. Scream out the first number that comes into your head, and this is how you find the MacBook temperature.

Or use CoreDuoTemp.

I have nothing to add for the OP, but this was funny!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Depends on if you want to case temp or the CPU temp. If you want the case temp buy a non-contact infrared thermometer. As a side bonus, you can have literally minutes of fun pointing it at other stuff.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
what is a safe temp for the computer? i feel my MBP getting very hot sometimes. i always figured this was normal though.

BarryChuckle

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2011
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html - Check this dashboard widget out. Some guys already mentioned it, shows lots of other cool stats too!.

istatpro_20080724110109.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Is there any default way OS X already has of doing this? The programs you guys recommended just take what information the system is already putting out and display them for you (much like how Coconut Battery just takes information readily available from System Profiler and just displays it better). Does OS X already have a built in program for this? I looked through System Profiler and it didn't seem to be there.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is there any default way OS X already has of doing this? The programs you guys recommended just take what information the system is already putting out and display them for you (much like how Coconut Battery just takes information readily available from System Profiler and just displays it better). Does OS X already have a built in program for this? I looked through System Profiler and it didn't seem to be there.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20051021115356696

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
atMonitor is perfect for displaying your Macbook temperature along with other useful info. It is well regarded and free! It can be run from the menubar, so that you can see the tempature while doing other tasks. It has also been updated for Lion.

You can find it here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30533/atmonitor

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.