Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
I like the attitude. A lot.

Android is essentially the PC of mobile devices. I think that in order to "destroy" Android, iOS is going to need a feature that Android simply can't mimic, and with that, something that changes everything, again. Which, no doubt, is what Steve left the big :apple: in the four year plan.

And Steve smiles down on his legacy... :apple:

stroudtx

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
IOS 5 vs Android, Not 4s

I love my 4s, but this is about the OS being copied.

I hope they both thrive - competition is good, but I'm staying with IOS for the long term. Siri Rocks and iCloud is Amazing.

Go Apple!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
iPhone has already won the war in my opinion.

You don't need to conquer the world to be a dominating super-power.

skoorbevad

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
Good. That's exactly the attitude Apple should continue to have about Android with Steve gone. It's a cheap knock-off of a beautiful product that took no imagination to copy.

It's apparent you've either never used an Android phone, or you've never used an iOS device. That's the only way I could explain away such an ignorant statement.

guch20 said:
And Flash? Really? Does anyone really miss Flash on their iPhone or iPad? I don't. First, my battery lasts longer without it.

And you're comparing this to... what exactly? The iPhone that had flash on it and had terrible battery life? All the phones that I've owned that had flash compatibility on them had perfectly comparable battery life to an iPhone. Flash is terrible, though, nobody is arguing that.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Apple has learned from their Microsoft days... NEVER BACK DOWN.

(Ironically, I had a friend who said those exact words before he got knocked out)

Lek

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
Steve was an artist... when someone steals your creative ideas, your 'baby', that becomes more important than money... right on

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
As much as he hated Android, it's been great for competition.

Side note: it looks like the memorial is officially over. Steve no longer graces the Apple front page.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
doesn't google have to give George Lucas a nickel every time they say "android"?

Even the freaking name is stollen. Don't get me wrong, I think android has some strengths. But it is hard to deny that the original android was a direct rip off of the original iPhone OS.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
It's apparent you've either never used an Android phone, or you'v never used an iOS device. That's the only way I could explain away such an ignorant statement.

I've used both. In fact, in my house, there is an Android phone (my wife's Nexus S) and my iPhone 4S.

I've used both extensively. I've used versions of Android dating back to near the beginning.

It's a cheap knock-off of a beautiful product.

You can't deny what Android was originally going to be. It was designed as a BlackBerry clone, but once the iPhone was released, Google decided "Hey! This new OS looks great! Let's copy that one instead!" And they did.

Anyone who actually denies that Android was made as a cheap copy of iOS is ... well, I don't know what they could be.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone who cannot see that Schmidt sat on the Apple board and hoovered up ideas from the iPhone project is blind.

Google bought Android and after quitting the Apple board, Schmidt set about implementing the ideas he had seen in action on the iPhone project.

Steve wasn't stupid, he knew Schmidt had ripped Apple off, which is why the iPad, in it's earliest form, was hidden from Schmidt.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
He could have killed android if he allowed flash and made a new design instead of the iphone 4s. Not that it isn't a great phone, but it could have beat android in so many ways.

I am tired of people whining about not getting a new design. The iPhone 4/4S is by far the best looking phone on the market.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
webOS is the only OS apart from iOS that is actually good and original. Android is inefficient and poorly executed, even the Windows Phone 7 is better than Android.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Let's see...

Why don't we start with...

The whole damn OS???

Do please tell me exactly which parts of the OS were "stolen". Specifics, not generalities. This is the same Apple that claims any kind of ownership of "colorful icons arranged in a grid". His word is not exactly gold in this matter, and his feeling slighted is irrelevant.

GiantSteve

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Sad

Really, to think that any product isn't derivative in some ways of other products, seems irrational. Certainly Jobs deserved to be proud of everything the iPhone accomplished and to be peeved that there was a strong competitor who used some of its ideas. But rather that accept that competition would help drive Apple to make an even better product, the quote as expressed seems kind of like jousting at windmills. I am sure more context in the book will cast this incident in a somewhat different light.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
It's apparent you've either never used an Android phone, or you've never used an iOS device. That's the only way I could explain away such an ignorant statement.

And you're comparing this to... what exactly? The iPhone that had flash on it and had terrible battery life? All the phones that I've owned that had flash compatibility on them had perfectly comparable battery life to an iPhone. Flash is terrible, though, nobody is arguing that.

Wow, girl. You needs to do some research.

Oh wait, I'm sure you somehow always wind up with the magical Android phones that magically never have any of the battery problems that the rest of them do. Yeah, that's gotta be it. It couldn't possibly be that you're full of crap and trying to convince people to ignore the facts.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
webOS is the only OS apart from iOS that is actually good and original. Android is inefficient and poorly executed, even the Windows Phone 7 is better than Android.

Windows Phone 7 deserves applause for it being an original product!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.