Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Do please tell me exactly which parts of the OS were "stolen". Specifics, not generalities. This is the same Apple that claims any kind of ownership of "colorful icons arranged in a grid". His word is not exactly gold in this matter, and his feeling slighted is irrelevant.

Quick, find me a capacitive touch screen, multi-touch phone with tap/pinch to zoom and full web browsing that was released before 2007.

Don't be willfully ignorant. You know what the facts are.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Google took Apple's work, modified Android to mimic it, then gave it away for free to commodity Asian handset makers to bludgeon Apple with. Yeah, Steve had every right to be pissed.

Thanks Google. You're a real American dream. :rolleyes:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone who cannot see that Schmidt sat on the Apple board and hoovered up ideas from the iPhone project is blind.

Google bought Android and after quitting the Apple board, Schmidt set about implementing the ideas he had seen in action on the iPhone project.

Steve wasn't stupid, he knew Schmidt had ripped Apple off, which is why the iPad, in it's earliest form, was hidden from Schmidt.

And that's why no Android tablets have succeeded up till now.

skoorbevad

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
Wow, girl. You needs to do some research.

Oh wait, I'm sure you somehow always wind up with the magical Android phones that magically never have any of the battery problems that the rest of them do. Yeah, that's gotta be it. It couldn't possibly be that you're full of crap and trying to convince people to ignore the facts.

I'd love to see your facts. I've had iPhones and Android phones. My current Android phone outlasts an iPhone, even with the mysterious power of flash to drain the battery. I've seen other phones that wouldn't last as long.

Either way, you're speaking in hyperbole. Accusing me of whatever nefarious plan you think I have cooked up because I would dare take an objective look at something -- it's pretty amusing, cheers on that.

Still waiting on what exactly makes Android a direct ripoff of iOS. If your idea of ripoff means "has multiple pages of icons you can click on a touchscreen", then I guess you're right. If you've ever done anything beyond that on either Android or iOS, it would be tough to stand on that argument without coming off as either dense or heavily biased.

Matariel

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
doesn't google have to give George Lucas a nickel every time they say "android"?

"Android" is a generic term originating from the Greek term for "man-like", and was popularised nearly 200 years ago in fiction.

George Lucas owns the trademark to Droid, which Motorola pays royalties to use.

Reactions: Dave.UK

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Windows Phone 7 deserves applause for it being an original product!:)

Never thought I'd say this, but my hat is off to Microsoft for actually blazing their own trail for...the first time ever?

The BulletPoint OS with the cut off text isn't my cup of tea, but I like that they took things in a different direction. Definitely not Microsoft's typical M.O.

I am tired of people whining about not getting a new design. The iPhone 4/4S is by far the best looking phone on the market.

Preach it, brother. In the Android world you get some hideous new iteration every other day. Behold, the brand new HTC Rezound:

07-HTC-Rezound.jpg

*vomits*

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Sure, Google might have borrowed some of Apple's idea, but the overall result was a net gain for all of us.

Competition is good. It breeds more innovation. When your competitor includes a new feature that people love, you're spurred to add it too. Look at the new iOS 5 notification panel. That's basically borrowed near-wholesale from Android!

If Android did not exist, we'd probably still be stuck with those horribly useless modal notification dialogs.

Apple has done wonderful things for the mobile device industry, but so has Google. If competition didn't exist, we'd probably be at least a couple years behind. What motive does a company have to improve their products when they have nearly 100% of the market?

For example, take a look at Microsoft in the early 00s and the way Windows XP stagnated.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Quick, find me a capacitive touch screen, multi-touch phone with tap/pinch to zoom and full web browsing that was released before 2007.

Don't be willfully ignorant. You know what the facts are.

And? Do you think the first company to use a color screen on a phone owns the concept? Or a phone that also plays music? Or anything else? No. Take your misaimed self-righteous indignation and sit back down. And don't throw "willfully ignorant" around so freely. It might just come back to bite you.

FreeRange1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Hmmm, let me think...

I would love to know exactly which ideas were "stolen".

How about virtually all of them. It is a well known fact that android was headed in a completely different direction until Google learned of the iPhone and its revolutionary OS. Do no evil my ass!

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Android is putting a fight and I think is good for Apple to have competition but at the end of the day I see Android losing this no matter what.
Apple just needs to keep innovating and at some point offer cheaper iPhones without the need of a plan. That right there would kill then. The 3Gs should sell for $150 max no contract.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
How about virtually all of them. It is a well known fact that android was headed in a completely different direction until Google learned of the iPhone and its revolutionary OS. Do no evil my ass!

Ah yes. "Well known facts". The citation of all true proofs.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone who cannot see that Schmidt sat on the Apple board and hoovered up ideas from the iPhone project is blind.

Google bought Android and after quitting the Apple board, Schmidt set about implementing the ideas he had seen in action on the iPhone project.

Steve wasn't stupid, he knew Schmidt had ripped Apple off, which is why the iPad, in it's earliest form, was hidden from Schmidt.
And look at the android tabs or lack there of I think that makes it clear how android copied iOS

guch20

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU
Google must be then the greatest artist in all history :)

Have you watched "Triumph of the Nerds" (which that clip was taken from) to see what he was talking about? I should hope so, since taking something completely out of context is something an idiot would do.

He was speaking of the visit to Xerox PARC where Apple copied the idea for the GUI used in Apple's computers. What Xerox had was a kernel, a little piece of an idea of how to control a little pointer on a screen to interact with on-screen objects. The upper management at Xerox didn't know what to do with it, and they sure as hell didn't want to develop it further.

Jobs saw the possibilities in this and fleshed it out; made it better. He and his team made it work, far beyond what it originally was in every way, shape, and form.

Google didn't improve on iOS. They saw a popular mobile operating system, figured they could get a cheap POS version together quick and give it away for manufacturers to put on cheap phones, and they could make a fortune tracking people's email and text messages to sell the information gathered within to advertisers.

They're selling your private info behind your back and you're kissing their ass for it.

Sucks to be you.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Competition is good.

And there it is, right on schedule.

Hey, nothing wrong with ripping off someone else's work because competition is good, right?

:rolleyes:

Yes, competition is indeed good (it goes without saying - though everyone seems to want to say it a lot). What is not good is relying on your competition to create your competitive products for you.

DefiantSoul

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

boonlar said:
He could have killed android if he allowed flash and made a new design instead of the iphone 4s. Not that it isn't a great phone, but it could have beat android in so many ways.

Flash on mobile sucks, I have no desire for it. It should die. The 4S is fantastic, and anyone with the slightest knowledge of iPhone refresh cycles would have expected a 4S. I don't need a huge penis envy screen. That's what I have an iPad for. The iPhone 5 is what Jobs dedicated his last remaining days on. I can't wait.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Android is putting a fight and I think is good for Apple to have competition but at the end of the day I see Android losing this no matter what.
Apple just needs to keep innovating and at some point offer cheaper iPhones without the need of a plan. That right there would kill then. The 3Gs should sell for $150 max no contract.

Competition is good in general, but i don't think it applies to Apple in a general way it applies to say car industry or washing machine industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.