Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Hi. I have multiple updates on my Air but I can't update because it says "Your hard disk does not have enough space". Does anyone have any tips of clearing the disk space. I have used CleanMyMac and saved 12 gigabytes since the release of the computer. Should I just pay $50 for a 500 gigabyte or 1 terabyte hard drive?

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Hi. I have multiple updates on my Air but I can't update because it says "Your hard disk does not have enough space". Does anyone have any tips of clearing the disk space. I have used CleanMyMac and saved 12 gigabytes since the release of the computer. Should I just pay $50 for a 500 gigabyte or 1 terabyte hard drive?

Wait you have 12 gig free and it won't update? Something is wrong.

Did you run Verify/Repair Permissions?

Can you run in Safe Mode and update?

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
After every app install or OS update I always run monolingual and clear out all the languages I don't use and all specific cpu architecture code that I don't need, ie: ARM and PowerPC. I've only got 64GB to play with so I keep everything as clean as I can and delete stuff I don't need.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

I use cleanmymac all the time. You just need to go through the cache deletion area and uncheck certain things that you think may cause a problem. From past experiences anything with saved data such as games I uncheck. Other than that have never had a problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use cleanmymac all the time. You just need to go through the cache deletion area and uncheck certain things that you think may cause a problem. From past experiences anything with saved data such as games I uncheck. Other than that have never had a problem.
While you may have had no issues, enough people have reported problems that it's prudent to offer a warning about it, especially when there are alternatives that don't have so many reported problems.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
While you may have had no issues, enough people have reported problems that it's prudent to offer a warning about it, especially when there are alternatives that don't have so many reported problems.

What would you recommend as an alternative? I'm trying to find something that offers a little bit more.

Thanks

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
After every app install or OS update I always run monolingual and clear out all the languages I don't use and all specific cpu architecture code that I don't need, ie: ARM and PowerPC. I've only got 64GB to play with so I keep everything as clean as I can and delete stuff I don't need.

How do you accomplish that exactly?

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
How do you accomplish what?

Clearing out other languages and other architectures etc ... what the poster noted.

I thought they meant there is some kind of boot up option to run in only 1 language but looks like monolingual is an application.

Does it work well in 10.7.2?

My machine is 256 gb and no immediate need to make any purges etc just trying to get a better feel for what people do and under what circumstances etc.

It looks like you are an advocate of manually de-installing things instead of using most of the clean up type utilities if I understand some of your postings. Are there some specific good ones out there or what should people keep in mind?

Thanks John

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Clearing out other languages and other architectures etc ... what the poster noted.

I thought they meant there is some kind of boot up option to run in only 1 language but looks like monolingual is an application.
Yes, as they said, they use Monolingual, which I've used with success on Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Be aware that extreme caution should be exercised when using such apps, as deleting certain languages or architectures can create significant problems. At best, deleting these things may buy you 1-2GB of drive space, but will not improve your system's performance. If you're not certain about what you're doing, don't delete anything. The small drive space savings are not worth the risk of potential problems.
Does it work well in 10.7.2?
I don't know if it runs on Lion. Their site doesn't seem to indicate that it does.
It looks like you are an advocate of manually de-installing things instead of using most of the clean up type utilities if I understand some of your postings.
In most cases if you just want to uninstall an app, simply drag the .app to the Trash. You don't need an uninstaller app to do that. If you're interested in removing all traces of an app, in order to free up disk space, use the manual method, as no uninstaller app is as thorough as the manual method. In either case, no app removal software is needed.

Burch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
This is the exact message when I try to update things:

"Your hard disk does not have enough space
You need 4.38 GB of available space to download and install the updates. To increase available space, remove files from your startup disk, and then try again."

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is the exact message when I try to update things:

"Your hard disk does not have enough space
You need 4.38 GB of available space to download and install the updates. To increase available space, remove files from your startup disk, and then try again."
The simplest solution is to move some of your user files to an external drive to free up space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.