Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rolodex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Hey everyone,

I just picked up my iPhone 4S yesterday morning from an AT&T store near me. I love the phone so much, and I'm especially excited because it's my first iPhone, but I am having one let down.

I am getting this really annoying buzzing noise in the earpiece. It's just loud enough to be noticeable, and I can only hear it when the phone is up to my ear. I notice it both when I'm talking on the phone and when I'm not.

For clarification, it's not that noise you sometimes hear in speakers when something is picking up a wireless signal. It literally sounds like it's buzzing.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Should I go ahead and just exchange my phone?

Thanks.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
At the least I would let a geek look at it. they are very good about making users happy. If it is buzzing, the should replace.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hey everyone,

I just picked up my iPhone 4S yesterday morning from an AT&T store near me. I love the phone so much, and I'm especially excited because it's my first iPhone, but I am having one let down.

I am getting this really annoying buzzing noise in the earpiece. It's just loud enough to be noticeable, and I can only hear it when the phone is up to my ear. I notice it both when I'm talking on the phone and when I'm not.

For clarification, it's not that noise you sometimes hear in speakers when something is picking up a wireless signal. It literally sounds like it's buzzing.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Should I go ahead and just exchange my phone?

Thanks.

Exchange it. I had exactly the same issue with my 4S, and I just returned it/exchanged it at an Apple Store yesterday afternoon.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13626425/

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Since I bought it from the AT&T store, should I exchange it at AT&T or Apple?

I bought mine from AT&T online, and had it delivered yesterday. The Apple Store has some stock for replacements in black boxes, and they just swapped out the phone, but nothing else. I kept my box/manual/earbuds etc.

You can try the AT&T store, since that's where you bought it from. Can't imagine they'd give you any grief. That buzzing drove me nuts!

sgrrsh26

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2009
i cant beleive some of these things arent normal. man i must have bought the most defective 3g ever...

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Have the same thing with my white 16GB one.
As all iPhones are now sold out I guess I'll return it later...

Unless theres some kind of fix.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have noticed it intermittently, it is a slight hum that sounds like RF interference. It doesn't happen all the time but happens randomly.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have noticed it intermittently, it is a slight hum that sounds like RF interference. It doesn't happen all the time but happens randomly.

Mine wasn't. Definitely some form of speaker resonance depending on the person's pitch on the phone.

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
I had the same problem with my black 64gb iPhone 4s. Went back to AT&T and asked for a replacement and got another 64gb.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm getting the same thing w my 32GB so taking it in soon for an exchange.

Last edited:

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Yep, had my 16 gb black 4S since Friday morning and just started noticing the buzz while on a phone call a few minutes ago. WTF?

Guess I'll be heading back to AT&T or the Apple Store to have it replaced soon. Just sucks that I spent the entire weekend getting it set up exactly like I wanted it and now I'm gonna have to start all freaking over.

Question...as I said earlier, I got mine from AT&T in-store on Friday. If I get a replacement, do they still honor their 30-day return policy if I decided to go with something else (most likely I won't, but just in case)?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Well, now I'm confused. As I stated earlier, I had the buzzing that people have talked about. But I got another phone call this afternoon and it didn't seem to be there.

I guess I'll give it a week or so and see if it's still doing it. If so, then I'll go get it replaced.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
Just made a genius appointment. Its very annoying. I only noticed it now cause i havn't been using the earpiece, i only use bluetooth.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ya I made an appointment as well, I think it is the speaker, plus I have the yellow screen issue.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I replaced the phone, couldn't reproduce it in the store. Has same issue. I have to assume this is normal and its environmental and based on where I am located.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I replaced the phone, couldn't reproduce it in the store. Has same issue. I have to assume this is normal and its environmental and based on where I am located.
I hear the buzz only through the speaker not headphones, so I am assuming it is the speaker itself.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
it will come back, all iphone 4s have the problem, just depends on where you are. You can even hear it if you turn the phone around and listen to the back. Im not sure its even coming from speaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.