Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
My iPhone 4S (AT&T) has been shutting off by itself like 3-4 times a day... Has anyone came across this problem?

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
Nope, I would bring it back to Apple and have it replaced.
Sounds like a hardware defect.

Sevzmac03

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
4s

Im experiencing the same issue. After it turns off it gets put into " recovery mode" then im required to restore it every time.. Pretty annoying!

Sevzmac03

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Funny thing is this my 2nd iphone 4s, first one had a speaker defect, (it was making a low buzzing noise) and now this.. :mad:

----------

Go to Apple!

Funny thing is this my 2nd iphone 4s, first one had a speaker defect, (it was making a low buzzing noise) and now this..

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Funny thing is this my 2nd iphone 4s, first one had a speaker defect, (it was making a low buzzing noise) and now this.. :mad:

----------

Funny thing is this my 2nd iphone 4s, first one had a speaker defect, (it was making a low buzzing noise) and now this..

Unfortunate luck of the draw, happens to everyone sometimes. It sucks, but...

Hope your next one has no flaws.

Sevzmac03

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Unfortunate luck of the draw, happens to everyone sometimes. It sucks, but...

Hope your next one has no flaws.

i know its an unfortunate luck, oh well.. hopefully next time i get tomorrow is all good. thank you!

sg01

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
I'm having the same problem. The phone turns off by it self. This has happened numerous times a day. In going to the Apple Store tom.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Go to Settings>General>Usage>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. If anything on that page has "panic" anywhere on the entry, your iPhone is experiencing kernel panics due to a hardware issue. The only fix for this is a replacement. No software update or restore will fix it.

Evolutioncsr

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Go to Settings>General>Usage>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. If anything on that page has "panic" anywhere on the entry, your iPhone is experiencing kernel panics due to a hardware issue. The only fix for this is a replacement. No software update or restore will fix it.

It is Settings>General>About>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. Thank you though. My phone was shut off today after being in my pocket for about 30 minutes I know for a fact I did not shut it off as I was using it frequently as calculator at work. Plus I never shut my phone off :)

I do have a panic.plist for todays date right around the time my phone was off :(

Last edited:

sg01

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010

Thank you. I confirm that there were many kernel panics under diagnostics log. I went to the Apple Store today and was given a replacement. So far, the replacement has not shut off by itself.

irfan22

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I've encountered this shut off problem twice since getting my phone on the 14th. I've checked under the diagnostics. I don't have any panic kernel but I have a ton of "low memory" logs

What does that mean?

MacSiorNo

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
OMG Me Too

Finally found someone else with the same problem! I pre-ordered 4S and got it the day it came out and I have had problems ever since! Mine shuts down multiple times a day, I am convinced there would be uber-pissed iPhone 4s users if this happened to everyone, so I definitely need to go to Apple.

Since I couldn't find anyone else with this many comlpaints, I thought it was normal to have this many bugs in the first version of software...etc. Hopefully I don't have to live with this anymore....it's been so annoying!!!!

Also---many apps don't work and my camera doesn't take pics anymore.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Finally found someone else with the same problem! I pre-ordered 4S and got it the day it came out and I have had problems ever since! Mine shuts down multiple times a day, I am convinced there would be uber-pissed iPhone 4s users if this happened to everyone, so I definitely need to go to Apple.

Since I couldn't find anyone else with this many comlpaints, I thought it was normal to have this many bugs in the first version of software...etc. Hopefully I don't have to live with this anymore....it's been so annoying!!!!

Also---many apps don't work and my camera doesn't take pics anymore.

Definitely check your diagnostics for kernel panics.

Also, this is not the first version of the software. It is the eighth.

MacSiorNo

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Definitely check your diagnostics for kernel panics.

Also, this is not the first version of the software. It is the eighth.

Yes, I didn't know how to check them before....I did and there are globs of "panics". I am actually relieved to be nearing a resolution. HAHA--I was basically trying to say that I was too optimistic about my problems being tied to the fact that the phone was new...etc. Haha, I stand corrected, eighth version.

sandornaut

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
i've been posting my experiences with this issue here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16556626#16556626

the short of it: one trip to the apple store where the genius advised me to wipe the phone to factory settings, then set up the phone as new and not from a backup... end result is that the shutdowns continue so i got on the phone with applecare today and a replacement is on the way.

hoping for better luck with the new hardware.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Finally someone listened:D

I really thought u were kidding... lol but yes I do see panics on the list. Will go to Apple tomorrow. By the way, I also see Low Memory on the list, does anyone know what that means?

SaidF

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
iPhone 4s Shuts off by itself

My new iPhone 4s turned itself off one hour after I purchased it about a week ago, and since then it has turned itself off about twice daily (even when the battery was charged)!!!!!

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Make sure to check your diagnostics page as well.

So i went to the Apple store today and they told me to restore my phone as a new one with iTune. I just did it.. Let's see if it works or not..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.