Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I see a lot of people asking how to enable Adobe Flash on TenFourfox 6 and above here. :apple:

You can use Adobe Flash in TenFourFox 6, or above by doing this:

Type in: "about:config" in the URL/address bar
Press enter
Look/search for: tenfourfox.plugins.enabled
Set it to true. (Double click it to toggle it)
I am using Flash 10.1.102.64 in TenFourFox and it works just fine :)

-Thanks to "MAC MAN JW" at the TenFourFox blog for this easy to understand guide.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
I see a lot of people asking how to enable Flash on TenFourfox 6, and 7 beta here.

-Thanks to "MAC MAN JW" at the TenFourFox blog for this easy to understand guide.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/

Thank you for posting that in macrumors as well i did not think of that :D as long as you enable flash in tenfourfox 6 it will work in the new tenfourfox 7 (Beta) automaticaly. it is nice to have Flash again :)

garycurtis

macrumors 6502
I gave up and simply went back to using Safari. The 10/4/fox website is down. Adobe no longer supports Flash on Ppc machines, and I couldn't get answers on this or companion forums.

I'm quite happy with Safari. In fact I don't even know what the impetus was to use Firefox or TenFourFox in the first place. No support from those folks. Though I backed up all my TFF files, I cannot figure how to import the bookmarks. Nobody is home at TenFourFox.

But hey, it was free so there is no justification for complaining.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
No support from those folks. Though I backed up all my TFF files, I cannot figure how to import the bookmarks. Nobody is home at TenFourFox.

Importing bookmarks is extremely easy and is nothing any user should ever feel the need to contact the developer for. Any Mac browser I have ever used (and I have used virtually every one there is) has an import option in the file menu.

Reactions: racerhomie

garycurtis

macrumors 6502
On Safari, the import bookmarks tool looks like a great fix. Two hurdles appear. Where amongst all my backups is the precise file one wants to restore?

After a lot of rummaging around I found something which I think is the right one. In Users>username>library>application assistants>firefox>data>?????>bookmarks????. In any case, it looked like a 'prime suspect'.

When I engaged the little 'Import Bookmarks' tool in Safari and then navigated to the above nest of folders, the file names were greyed out. I could Restore that particular file. Very frustrating.

All in all, this process was anything but convenient or automatic. Not very "Mac", in my opinion. Note that my bookmarks were from TenFourFox, but the only file folder/path on my Time Machine backups appeared to be FireFox. I upgraded from FireFox when that no longer supported my G-4.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Where amongst all my backups is the precise file one wants to restore?

Open FireFox. Go to "Bookmarks" and select "Show all Bookmarks". At the top, there should be an option to backup. Save them to your desktop. Then open Safari to import from that file.

garycurtis

macrumors 6502
the same dilemma reoccurs. The bookmark file (with a .json extension) is greyed out under the Safari 'Import' menu. Can't select it.

When I open that file with textedit, it is mostly scrambled text in a stream, with no url's discernible. What to do?

garycurtis

macrumors 6502
Just before reading your suggestion, I tried to export in HTML. It worked. Does that mean I'm getting smart? It sure doesn't feel like it.

In my former life, I wrote tech manuals for two airlines and trained to fly the 747. In 1990s the planes all had cockpits with what we called steam gauges. You know, dials.

By going digital, they eliminated a third pilot in the cockpit. But if I had to fly one of the modern birds, I'm sure I would crash just fumbling around trying to find things on the "desktop". A sure sign I'm getting old. Thanks for your help,

Incidentally, in a few months my close friend is giving me her i5 Intel iMac, so I won't be wallowing in the PPc swamp any longer.

Thanks for your help.

daeeatsall

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
Thank you for this! I thought I was going to have to go back to Safari. I do dig tenfourfox on my PowerPC G5, I'm on this the most due to the fact its my print hub.

daeeatsall

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
queation for zen state

Importing bookmarks is extremely easy and is nothing any user should ever feel the need to contact the developer for. Any Mac browser I have ever used (and I have used virtually every one there is) has an import option in the file menu.
could find if this forum had a private messager, but I wanted to ask you a question about how you painted you sawtooth.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Yeah tried it, it is faster now more than ever, but it is on the heavy side in terms of memory usage compared to Camino.

I will try to evaluate if I might like it.

RMT25

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Virtual memory

For some reason, it uses like 2x the virtual memory than other browsers such as Opera 10.63 and Camino 2.1 beta.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Gone back to Camino, since I only have 2GB RAM on my PB. If they can reduce the memory footprint to that of Camino, I might stick with it.

As far as I'm concerned Camino optimized builds are the best browsers for PowerPC Macs by far and without question. Running the 7450 build of 2.09 now and love it.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I found the G4 optimized build actually runs slower on my iBook. On the eMac there is no difference between the regular build and the G4 one.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I found the G4 optimized build actually runs slower on my iBook. On the eMac there is no difference between the regular build and the G4 one.

You sure you're using the 7450 (blue icon) build and not the 7400 (grey icon)? Both your G4's need the 7450 build.

I notice a clear difference between the optimized and standard builds. It's not massive but certainly noticeable. I would say 10-15% faster in general and it launches about 80-100% faster.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I am using the right build. I just verified this by typing
Code:
machine
into terminal.app

Your right about it launching faster, but on the iBook it renders pages very slowly.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Yes, I am. And I am not yet on 2.0.9 on it, I am still on 2.0.7.

I am on 2.0.9 on my powermac, the difference is that on 2.0.7 it draws the object immediately while on 2.0.9 it does not, so it appears that it is slower on 2.0.9 but it is not, it is actually faster over 2.0.7 it is only visually slow.

It is supposed to be a tenfourfox thread am I right? I have tried the latest build of tff, my observation is that it is fast than camino but it is heavy on memory usage, it used near 100+mb with 3 pages open while it takes less in camino with the same pages open.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Well, I guess the rule of thumb as far as browsers go is that your mileage may vary ;)

Exactly right. Everyone computes differently. I am a total efficiency whore in everything I do on my computer so I tend to get more out of apps than the average user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.